My m35 blew. Can i swap the 3.5hr motor in?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
xxxalpinexxx80
Car: m35

My m35 06 engine blew. Can i do a swap with a 3.5hr motor if it comes with a ecu.

merlinq2
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

yep, you can use your old ecu as well. good luck and sorry to hear the news

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Ouch, indeed! :(

What were the circumstances under which this disaster occurred?

Z

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Im sure it can be done easily, but for best results I would get your car tuned by a pro tuner when the new engine is put in. I could be wrong about all of this, but the HR model is a bit different. It has two intakes instead of one and some of the interior of the motor is different too (which reminds me, you will also need your engine bay modded to support the extra air filter and intake tube). So while it would probably work without any retune, it would not be running efficiently at all because of the changes the engine has that the ECU is not tuned for. I dont think you can swap the new ECU in because that engine was designed to be hooked up to a 7 speed transmission and you have a 5 speed. I thought that Nissan also went to direct injection on the HR model, and the DE model your car was designed for does not have direct injection. So you may need to modify your fuel delivery system a bit too and definitely get the tune because of that.

JDMlove
Car: 2006 M35X
2007 HR 350Z

well, i think its OK to swap the engine, even you can go with VQ37HR. about the ECU i think u can get a new ECU for the new Engine or tune your ECU.. but regarding the transmission! i dont think it have anything to do with the ecu! or maybe a small task in the ecu that anyone can reprogram it to match your current trans!

About direct injection! Nissan still didn't implement direct injection technology to any of their engines, i heard once that the new 370z will get a new 3.7 direct injection engine.. am not sure if am right! i hope so...

wish you all the best with the new project. if my DE engine will blow up one day! i wont sell the M, i will change the engine with an HR motor too! cause the car really deserve keeping it.

xxxalpinexxx80

Well i was cleaning the throttlebody with seafoam deep creep with the engine off, then i started it and it wouldnt start. I gave it some gas then it started and then the lifter started ticking. It went over 10k miles with the tick. I pretty much hydrolocked it.

But they have the 3.5hr, i wasnt planing on the 3.7hr.

I would think there would be plenty of room because there's so much room under my hood i could put in the 4.5l v8. Im sure if the 350z, and the g35's can fit the hr motor in, the m35 should have plenty of room.

And the only reason why i want the 3.5hr rather than the 3.7hr is because i have the 5speed tranny and not the 7 speed tranny.

The 09+m35x's have the vq35hr motor rather than the vq35de motor.

But the only problem about the ecu, well using the stock one, is that wouldn't i have 2 maf sensors?

xxxalpinexxx80

Thats under the hood of a 2009 m35x as u can see the twin intakes. I just need to know that it'll mount right in perfectly, that the headers will connect, and that even if i got a new ecu, that that is all i'll need. I dont want to regret buying a new beautiful better motor for no reason ya know

09InfinitiM35
Car: Infiniti M35 7 Spd

Hey guy was hanin 09M35HR7AT 145K on it
will a Q70 engine fit ? 😬

cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

i did an engine swapped and from experience, i think it comes down to how much do you want to spend. Unless you can do the job yourself, the labor is at least 15 hours. it's not just pulling the old engine and the new one out, there are a lot of non-sense old aged parts that will not cooperate. Of course, all is well and fine if you have the dough to pay. Good luck

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”