My LS1 S14 build thread

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
-ExCesS-
Car: 00 Sentra / 95 240SX

well, im slowly getting discouraged lol. Hopefully all the custom work is the worst of it. Still have next year to think about which route to take.

Joe

its a ton of work

the mounts were easy compared to whats gonna have to be done to the drivers side exhaust manifold.

j-z
Car: 95 240sx

thats awesome man! first time in this part of the forums and i love it already! im gonna get back into a s chassis and put one of dem dare v8s in it...

Joe

**** im sorry about the lack up updates but my digicam took a **** and ive been pulling 10-12 hour days on the car to finish it in time

both manifolds are finished, both exhausts are built. just need to H pipe them.

today i pulled the engine and did final assembly of oil pan, oil pump, pickup, clutch, slave, slave line, headers, Z06 intake manifold, timing cover, cam, timing chain/gears and water pump.

new cam is amazing. i cant wait to hear it haha. it even installed easily.

no real snags so far, im getting kinda nervous lol. its going way too smoothly for how much **** ive done.

car is back on the trailer and will be back at the shop tomorrow or tuesday for final parts install and STARTING IT as soon as the pushrods get here!! if those are the only things holding me up by tuesday ill try to find another set and just sell the thunder racing ones i ordered.

Picolini
Car: 89 240SX FB DEAD, 92 Beretta GT DEAD, 91 Camaro RS DEAD... carless!

Awesome news man! I was hoping everything's been going good.I hope you can get some video of it when it's in and starting up. Keep it up man, and goodluck, sounds like your in the final stretch!

Joe

yea its getting close, i can almost taste it haha

only piece thats missing is my pushrods.

i finally hit a snag tho, i have a leak somewhere at the slave cyl, pulling engine tomorrow to find it and hopefully quick-fix it.

Joe

heres my update finally. been busy haha

headers and both exhausts completely built. just finishing up the H pipe at the moment. everything was going AWESOME till yesterday. i attached the clutch line and theres a leak somewhere near the slave. so pulling the motor tonight and looking for what it could be. i hope its something stupid.

HEADERS what i did was take the hooker block hugger headers (super cheap from summit). cut the headers off the flange from the inside, angle it out 2-3 inches to clear everything, reweld it then clean up the inside with a die grinder (I love harbor freight haha). i think this is a much cleaner method than what some people have done and WAY cheaper than custom ones. total cost 200$ and change i have a grand total of about 500$ into the headers and exhausts.

cam and the rest of the front half of the engine is reassembled, engine is 99% assembled. only thing thats left is the pushrods and crap on the valve covers.

drivers side, theres actually way more clearance between the exhaust and the outlets for the rack than the first pic shows. its the strange angle i took the picture. its probably about an inch-1.5 inches away.

pass side

not much clearance around everything but since the engine is solid mounted, i didnt really concern myself with that. ill be heat wrapping the exhaust near the rack and wrapping the lines too. might get a PS cooler also.

heres also one of my side exits

figured out a way to do dual sides hehe. running 2 dynomax race mufflers so it should sound pretty awesome.

-ExCesS-

Thats beautiful man, good luck with the leak you found. . . hopefully its nothing big.

Just wanna thank you again for making a thread like this, it deff helps on making a decision on which route to take (even though im still undecided). BTW you sell the RB yet?

Joe

yep its long gone, rb is with its new owner in phoenix

Picolini
Car: 89 240SX FB DEAD, 92 Beretta GT DEAD, 91 Camaro RS DEAD... carless!

****, you stole my idea to do side pipes, hah.I plan to rig them up like on a Viper, so they pop through the side panel.

Good luck on that leak, hope it's simple.

Joe

your idea lol

i had a side exit on the RB for about a year before i even started this swap haha

and i did figure out the clutch problem, guess i forgot to post it here haha

right after i hooked the clutch up for the first time and bled it i had a leak somewhere at the slave (inside the bellhousing) tonight i yanked the motor and inspected it.

started pulling **** apart. looking at stuff...thinking... after the smoke stopped coming out it was very obvious.

this is a mcleod gm slave to -4 adapter.

this is a summit racing -4 to -3 adapter.

the summit adapter is too long. the insides of the fittings didnt make contact with each other and they were leaking around the threads, because those arent designed to seal lol. i ran to the shop and cut off about 1/8th an inch just to give it a shot and it worked! engine is back in now and clutch is holding pressure like a champ. yay.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Headers came out nice man. For the record, Harbor Freight OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone that says different doesn't have one in there town.

Swedish Mike
Car: Golf TDI, Volvo 850T5 and 200sx S13 Hatch

Wow, I´m starting to become a LS lover, all these threads mess up my head...

Nice job Kamin, keep on posting!

Joe

heres what i cut off and you can see how the adapter was just too long

assembled

also got bored and painted valve covers

im know, black, boring, bla bla bla.

WDRacing

Looks like it was born there...

j-z
Car: 95 240sx

lol, indeed it does... grrrrrrrrr i want my s14 back

Joe

WDRacing wrote:Looks like it was born there...
i know`1!! its creepy!

the shifter sits centered in the hole

THE SHIFTER, SITS CENTERED, IN THE HOLE.

its fits better than the damn RB did!

hpmachine
Car: '05 EVO8 + '95 240sx

I'm sorry if I missed some info but can I assume you are not using a/c...???

Joe

its a 100% race only car.

no ac. no heater. etc.

a_ahmed
Car: 1991 240sx fastback

Man this makes me want a LS V8 over a KAT in my S13 again :-/

When I jotted down on paper how much the kat setup i want will cost me, and the end result that i will get... i still feel ill be disapointed of spending the money i would spend.... so I keep thinking I want the LS1 V8 instead :-/

It will cost me about 8000+$ to get about 400lbs/ft and 400whp reliably that will last on even daily driven abuse, depending on turbo and cam setup and other factors... all built up block and and head... but that would be it. The upper limit.

After that running much much bigger turbos would make that low end go away (eg; getting 600whp), then even if there is low end, its all lost at top end and then again not much of a rev range despite being a 'small' 4 cyl.

All the power and power band that the kat produces can be used differently but i want more than one thing... high top end, high low end, good long power band, etc... I mean a built setup with lots of low end could be used in autox, a built up big turbo engine with high end for drag... but i want both haha.. not possible...I would be kind of restricted to 400~ range with everything imho to still retain a good low end...

400whp/400ft-lbs/tq is just the beginning with a more or less stock LS V8 with a few mods. Imagine slapping supercharger or Turbo on that.. damn lol, it would rip the rear end no doubt, I doubt even 335s would suffice.

So LS V8>super built KAT and i think itll be cheaper in the long run, reliable heck even better on gas with the T56 6 speed ...

The kat is such a funny motor with its torque always slopped either towards low end and no top end or with cams and big turbo only top end and little to no low end :-/

When I see LS V8 torque curves.. theyre so damn flat but then again obviously its a big v8..

Another thing with kat is... add a turbo/IC/etc... and you make the already heavier than SR, KAT be another 70lbs more. I don't want to offset more weight to the front...

LS1 is NA = ftw... etc...

I don't know this seems ever so tempting and damn.. it has like... infinite space lol! Seems like MORE space than a frickin KA stock in the engine bay to me! A KAT is so crowded... the turbo nearly sucking in the mbc lol (at least with top mounts and bigger turbos haha)

I don't have AC, ABS, and soon I don't want to have the heater crap either (stripped car). This seems just the right thing for me.. so tempting oh man...

Congratz on your build up man.. its absolutely fantastic...!!!!

This thread makes me want to build an LS S13 so badly...

Sorry for long rant, got me quite excited + I'm working night shift, but almost going home... im bored LOL.
Modified by a_ahmed at 8:07 AM 8/4/2007

hpmachine
Car: '05 EVO8 + '95 240sx

LOL!! End result - No replacement for displacement.... not even turbos! HAHA

a_ahmed
Car: 1991 240sx fastback

I just came back from work (night shift)... i couldn't stop thinking about it (haha after all I drive my car to and from work.. s13 :P Just fantasizing/imagining with an LS1).

I had to check youtube for some new LS1 videos, what do I find?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qkSK1c8RSTk

I'm sold on this and just as the commenters on youtube said 'holy ****' i said the same thing.

Joe

haha im glad your excited about the swap, im gonna do 2 things

first im gonna make you giggle and cry from pure awesomehttp://youtube.com/watch?v=QMzoDE47zMM

second im gonna break you down and try to help you understand the magnitude of the swap. this is NOT a SR swap. this is NOT a RB swap. this makes my RB swap look like a CAKEWALK in comparison. ive been around cars for many years and done a ton of engine swaps. this is without a doubt the hardest and most mentally challenging swap ive ever done. most of that is because i had to make everything myself with very limited tools. sure my welder sucks, my exhaust might not flow amazing, but it was way cheaper and i can say i did it myself.

this is easily a $7000+ swap to do it the right way and will take several months to complete. and thats very regular, daily work. im fortunate because i can work on it at work, then after work lol and also havent hit many snags or setbacks *knock on wood*

just do a TON of research and really understand what you are doing and committing to. Not many people know this but I have been researching and slowly planning this swap for over a year. this wasnt just a "i want that!" decision. its very important to do a TON of research before you commit to this.

WDRacing

Kamin wrote:haha im glad your excited about the swap, im gonna do 2 things

first im gonna make you giggle and cry from pure awesomehttp://youtube.com/watch?v=QMzoDE47zMM

second im gonna break you down and try to help you understand the magnitude of the swap. this is NOT a SR swap. this is NOT a RB swap. this makes my RB swap look like a CAKEWALK in comparison. ive been around cars for many years and done a ton of engine swaps. this is without a doubt the hardest and most mentally challenging swap ive ever done. most of that is because i had to make everything myself with very limited tools. sure my welder sucks, my exhaust might not flow amazing, but it was way cheaper and i can say i did it myself.

this is easily a $7000+ swap to do it the right way and will take several months to complete. and thats very regular, daily work. im fortunate because i can work on it at work, then after work lol and also havent hit many snags or setbacks *knock on wood*

just do a TON of research and really understand what you are doing and committing to. Not many people know this but I have been researching and slowly planning this swap for over a year. this wasnt just a "i want that!" decision. its very important to do a TON of research before you commit to this.
I think we should frame that and have it on the Hybrids Portal...when we build it. The V8 swap when done in the DIY fashion is not somthing a lamen should just tackle and expect quick results. I priced out everything from Hinson the other day and IIRC it was just over $7000, not including the motorset. I'd suggest that route for anyone that's not a serious fabricator. I'm like Joe, I don't really care if the welds are pretty, I'll take function over form all day. My 110AMP Mig combined with my Chop Saw and several runs to Harbor Freight have always been enough for me to enjoy my projects.

WD

-ExCesS-

Kamin wrote:.
For a second there, I thought you were gonna post a vid of a start up lol

but yea looks like im pushing my engine mods till 09, have A LOT to think about and learn. Kinda in the same boat as a_ahmed.

Joe

-ExCesS- wrote:For a second there, I thought you were gonna post a vid of a start up lol
LOL not yet

maybe the end of next week
WDRacing wrote:
I think we should frame that and have it on the Hybrids Portal...when we build it. The V8 swap when done in the DIY fashion is not somthing a lamen should just tackle and expect quick results. I priced out everything from Hinson the other day and IIRC it was just over $7000, not including the motorset. I'd suggest that route for anyone that's not a serious fabricator. I'm like Joe, I don't really care if the welds are pretty, I'll take function over form all day. My 110AMP Mig combined with my Chop Saw and several runs to Harbor Freight have always been enough for me to enjoy my projects.

WD
****in a man. i dont need to tig weld my crossmember or have a mandrel bent exhaust.

p.s. hinson sucks. wait for the XAT racing parts or build them yourself.

Joe

all you get is a ****ty sidekick picture for now, deal with it. my camera broke

gauges and 99% of the chassis wiring are finally done. only parts left are connecting the gauges to the senders and little misc crap.

JustinStrife
Car: '99 FRC. 402, Vortech T-Trim @ 12psi = 706rwhp/621rwtq

You're my hero Kamin. Wanna do the LS1 swap on my FD?

Joe

sure

i charge $50 an hour for labor

JustinStrife
Car: '99 FRC. 402, Vortech T-Trim @ 12psi = 706rwhp/621rwtq

Kamin wrote:sure

i charge $50 an hour for labor
For how many hours? 1,000?

Return to “Hybrids”