My LS1 S13

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
axe3112
Car: 1989 240SX

I dont usually post too much on Nico. I am mainly on silviav8 but I figured I would go ahead and put a thread up here too. This is still a work in process but I have made quite a bit of progress with it.

This is the car I started with. 89 S13 MT Non abs open diff. I picked it up for $500 and drive it an hour to my house. I noticed when I bought it that the crank pulley was wobling but it made it home.

My original plan was to rebuild the stock engine and then move on to the suspension, brakes. exhaust etc. and finally swapping in an SR20DET.

Interior gutted

Started to just clean up engine bay...ended up taking every thing out. I am changing the color to Black paint code G10. Painted Engine BayI did rebuild the stock engine(waste of time) I couldn't bring myself to put it in the car. I wanted something different so I sold it.

I did some research and decied on the LS1 swap.

LS1 and T56 6 speed transmission from 2004 Pontiac GTO with 30k

I used Hinson Supercars for just about everything for the swap.

Crossmember Modified. Triangle pieces are half of the engine mounts.

After going in and out with the engine and transmission about a half dozen times I finally got it to fit like I wanted. Had to beat up the tunnel a bit and finally ended up cutting out a section(a bit more than I needed) of the trans. tunnel. The other half of th engine mounts.Transmission mount/brace and aluminum driveshaft

Made a bracket in order to use the S13 throttle cableFuel Pressure RegulatorHigh flow fuel filter mounted underneath car around backseat area.

Hinson Headers

Hole that was cut(I went a bit overboard)

Subframe and powerbrace (tension rod mount brackets) are dropped one ich with aluminum spacers. The kit did not come with anything for the column to reach the rack so I had this made.

Power Steering Line Supplierd by PXDrift. It mates the LS1 pump to the 240 Rack.Willwood Clutch Master Cylinder, Hinson Clutch line and custom remote slave cylinder bleeder.Hinson Radiator and HosesCamaro aftermarket shifter fits in stock location pretty goodHinson Cold Air intakeBottle in the background is a temporary overflow tank.Battery and fuse boxes relocated to the trunk. Its ugly now but I will be cleaning it all up so it looks decent.GTO Ecu ended up in stock 240 location but is too big to fit behind trim panelMade a harness to relocate ecu to trunk as well. This was a pain in the a&*.Oil pan is close to stock sway bar

While waiting on parts to show up I did the Z32 brake swap thing with Z32 master cylinder and booster and PDM brake conversion lines, 5 lug conversion front and rear, 5 Zigen FN01RC 17x8 on front 17x9 on rear.

BeforeAfterYou can see the subframe spacers in this picture.This is the body kit I will be mounting up soon. Vertex...version 1..I think.

Some other things I have done but just got lazy with the pictures:Stance AL+Pro coiloversEnergy Suspension Bushing KitSolid aluminum Subframe Bushings.Roll Center Front Ball JointsSentra Ball joints in rear lower control armsNismo Power BraceNismo 1.5 Way LSD DiffMegan Tension RodsCiruit Sports Outer Tie Rod endsTein Inner Tie Rod endsAnd Probably a few other things I have forgotten...

Here are a couple quick start up videos too.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BICOiHDcYMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6PS_EzTXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAH3xTPtDDY

Well thats about it for now.

Dirtfall

Awesome job!!! I'm looking forward to some updates.

psmith
Car: 92' 240sx

Very nice work!

1991ls13
Car: s13 ls1 hatch

lookin nice man, where did you get the motor and tranny?i`ve been wanting one for a while. i thought of getting a third gen rx7 but i think i want my car to have charactor

ngibson
Car: 90 s13

Very nice build. I love seeing other people doing clean, proper work. The calipers look great!

I've got a question though, where did you get the fittings to make those brake / clutch lines. I've heard of a lot of people getting them made at hydrolic supply shops. Just curious about yours.

The first pic reminds me of how I bought my car, but without a bumper / interior. Same color / condition and single cam.

Can't wait to see it completly finished.

axe3112

1991ls13 wrote:lookin nice man, where did you get the motor and tranny?i`ve been wanting one for a while. i thought of getting a third gen rx7 but i think i want my car to have charactor
I sourced my engine/transmission/ecu/wiring/and accessories from this site:

http://car-part.com/

I live in VA but ended up getting mine from a salvage yard in Gorgia: Cox Auto Parts 800-476-0310. Shipping was $150. He deals with people doing engine swaps alot and is willing to work with people. Good customer service. I had a few things that were damaged and or missing but he made good on all of the parts to my surprise. He offers a 6 month warranty and doesnt give you a bunch of crap because its going into a different car than its supposed to. I called a few places and they wouldnt even sell to me because it was going into a Nissan. I have heard of some places doing a year warranty as well. But I highly reccomend dealing with them.

axe3112

ngibson wrote:Very nice build. I love seeing other people doing clean, proper work. The calipers look great!

I've got a question though, where did you get the fittings to make those brake / clutch lines. I've heard of a lot of people getting them made at hydrolic supply shops. Just curious about yours.

The first pic reminds me of how I bought my car, but without a bumper / interior. Same color / condition and single cam.

Can't wait to see it completly finished.
Thanks for the compliment. I originally was planning on finishing it faster but taking my time and doing everything to the best of my ability vs rushing seemed to be the better route.

I sourced my brake lines from this place:http://www.pdm-racing.com/prod....html

I am pleased with them but I know now that there are alot more places to get them and for cheaper...as far as the others quality I dont know enough about them to make an educated opinion.

I was pretty pleased with the brakes too. It was a task but worth it I think.

My clutch lines came from Hinson. We have a local hydraulic shop that will make them as well and I know you can buy various stainless steel lines and pieces from Summitt, Jegs etc and build them yourself too.

ngibson

axe3112 wrote:
Thanks for the compliment. I originally was planning on finishing it faster but taking my time and doing everything to the best of my ability vs rushing seemed to be the better route.

I sourced my brake lines from this place:http://www.pdm-racing.com/prod....html

I am pleased with them but I know now that there are alot more places to get them and for cheaper...as far as the others quality I dont know enough about them to make an educated opinion.

I was pretty pleased with the brakes too. It was a task but worth it I think.

My clutch lines came from Hinson. We have a local hydraulic shop that will make them as well and I know you can buy various stainless steel lines and pieces from Summitt, Jegs etc and build them yourself too.
I looked at your post again and realized I was looking at your clutch master cylinder lines. I've been wanting to do a similar setup for my brake master cylinder.

I know what you mean about the brakes, I sandblasted mine, bought rebuild kits and everything. Very glad I did it even after the smashed knuckles and cursing haha.

My next undertaking is the Evo Brembos I have being mounted, awaiting brackets from zilvia first.

Again, love the build, only thing I thought I would see was hockey puck motor mounts

axe3112

ngibson wrote:
I looked at your post again and realized I was looking at your clutch master cylinder lines. I've been wanting to do a similar setup for my brake master cylinder.

I know what you mean about the brakes, I sandblasted mine, bought rebuild kits and everything. Very glad I did it even after the smashed knuckles and cursing haha.

My next undertaking is the Evo Brembos I have being mounted, awaiting brackets from zilvia first.

Again, love the build, only thing I thought I would see was hockey puck motor mounts
Im not sure what you mean by hocky puck motor mounts....? The engine mounts are very simple, and solid. The engine dosent have any cushion which could be looked at in a couple different ways. Solid mount good in that it stays put and my headers are very tight but not so good for vibration and the fact that I will need to go back and check bolts to make sure they stay tight.

But it was in the kit that I purchased so I guess I will roll with it for now and see how it goes. This is my first swap and I had no clue how to weld in the beginning (which has since changed). In retrospect a custom mount set up or a Sikky or even Pxdrift mount set up may have been the better choice as they have a bit of cushion in their mounts.

If vibration is the worst thing then its fine by me....still a bit interested in the hockey puck thing you spoke of ..... ?

ngibson

axe3112 wrote:still a bit interested in the hockey puck thing you spoke of ..... ?
A lot people that do v8 swaps, v6 swaps into (Well, actually a lot of different chassis) go and buy a set of hockey pucks. Then drill a hole in the center, run a bolt and a nut and BAM, easy motor mounts. They're slightly softer than solids but have very little play. Plus, you can get a set for under $20.

Here's a great picture of them I found on Google:http://www.redwolfstudios.com/picts/puck5.jpg

axe3112

Thanks for the tip....very simple yet seems like it would work well with my mounts. I plan on welding the lower triangle pieces to the subframe...I'm glad I didn't do that yet. I would definitly need to lower them to compensate for the thinckness of the pucks. Good looking out!

ngibson

Anytime, I'm glad I can help out in any way. I realized we have the same rims, same size too. Sucks they stopped making them in that color, I'm dieing to get them in 17x10.

Another user on here - think his username is gsracer, used the hockey puck mounts on his vh45 swap.

axe3112

ngibson wrote:Anytime, I'm glad I can help out in any way. I realized we have the same rims, same size too. Sucks they stopped making them in that color, I'm dieing to get them in 17x10.

Another user on here - think his username is gsracer, used the hockey puck mounts on his vh45 swap.
Yeah I heard they discontinued the hyper black....I wish I had gone up a bit in size a bit but I like them and the price wasnt too bad either.

Kalypso

This is exciting,

im glad you posted in the Hybrid section you'll get more thoughtfull comments here.

also you can use polyurethane (iirc) to make mounts in any shape you want. zerothread?id=204560

get creative with it. good luck, ill be back!

axe3112

Kalypso123 wrote:This is exciting,

im glad you posted in the Hybrid section you'll get more thoughtfull comments here.

also you can use polyurethane (iirc) to make mounts in any shape you want. zerothread?id=204560

get creative with it. good luck, ill be back!
Very cool as well....I like it. Thanks for the the input and keep it coming. Honestly I will probably roll with what I have for now and try to get some progress on the many things I have to do. But I definitly see some ideas on a better engine mount set up in the future.

Next thing on the list is patching the hole I cut for transmission clearance.

Put my heater/evap box back in.

Figure out a good way to mount battery, fuse boxes and ecu.

Put the dash back in and find a good spot to mount my 3 guages

Mount up the body kit

Exhaust

Paint

ok....thinking about how much is left to do gives me a headache...nah I wish I could do it all day every day

Kalypso

yeah but look at how much you've already done.

Im having the same issues with battery mounting, and trunk refurbishing.If you're not going to have a spare tireyou can mount fuse boxes and the ecu in that well

then cover the whole trunk with a lightweight board of some kind, and leave an opening or flap so you can access it later.

ngibson

[quote="axe3112""]ok....thinking about how much is left to do gives me a headache...nah I wish I could do it all day every day[/quote]Haha and such is life with a project car. It's both a gift and a curse, we all know project cars are never completely finished.

I agree with Kalypso123 about moving the boxes / battery. Your engine bay looks incredible right now, but will look 100x better with everything moved out. If you need help with that let me know, I've got a bunch of bookmarks with new harness connectors and wiring supplies.

axe3112

ngibson wrote:
Haha and such is life with a project car. It's both a gift and a curse, we all know project cars are never completely finished.

I agree with Kalypso123 about moving the boxes / battery. Your engine bay looks incredible right now, but will look 100x better with everything moved out. If you need help with that let me know, I've got a bunch of bookmarks with new harness connectors and wiring supplies.
True....just getting the thing mounted and running feels like a huge step. It took a half a dozen times in and out to get it in the spot.

Everything is laying in the trunk area already. I just have to mount all of it. I originally thought about putting it in the spare tire area but I think I may keep a spare just in case.

I am leaning towards getting 2 plastic boxes....one for the battery and another for the ecu and fuse boxes. I like the look of the engine bay without the battery and the boxes in there. It was a pain for sure and alot of solder joints...but well worth it. I think I am going to mount them side by side just behind the back seat. The tonnuea cover for the hatch area will hide it well. All of the interior is going back in including a new carpet kit I have had for a while now. First thing is the dash...and thats it until I get it back from the body shop and exhaust shop. I dont want to put all the interior in to have it covered in dust and whatever else could happen to it while its away.

Most all of the wiring is done and extended but I would gladly take a look at your bookmarks.

ngibson

I used a bunch of these products to cover my 1jz swap harness. I think it looks amazing, so much better than just electrical tape, plus adds heat resistance to the harness:

http://cableorganizer.com/nylon/

Here you can find just about any combination connector as far as pins, size, shape, mounted etc

http://www.mouser.com/search/R...Field

http://catalog.tycoelectronics...17685

http://catalog.tycoelectronics...11985

1991ls13
Car: s13 ls1 hatch

thanks,that place has a serious load of those engines and tranny,if i do end up doing this swap, ill make sure to post up here and share my experience with you all too,one more question hopefully you`ll know, is there any place that sells a ls1 swap dvd?i`ve looked and researched for a while and stll cant find nothing

carmo
Car: 92 Accord, 90 Civic, 89 240sx

The build is looking like waffles doused in syrup with two sides of extra bacon!!!!

Scurvy Tar Mattie! I do believe it be time for some thread jacking Aarrrgh!! zerothread?id=351373

I shoulda posted my build in the hybrid section too. Thanks for the tow last Saturday axe3112. The 350sx is resting all comfy like in the driveway. Oh! What is that chic screamin about in the video clip?

axe3112

carmo wrote:The build is looking like waffles doused in syrup with two sides of extra bacon!!!!

Scurvy Tar Mattie! I do believe it be time for some thread jacking Aarrrgh!! zerothread?id=351373

I shoulda posted my build in the hybrid section too. Thanks for the tow last Saturday axe3112. The 350sx is resting all comfy like in the driveway. Oh! What is that chic screamin about in the video clip?
HA! Yea....I think she soiled her self a little..She heard the tires spin, saw the car coming, screamed and made a B Line for the door!

Cant wait till we both are running...hope you like the way the back end of my car looks...if you get the drift!

carmo

zerothread?id=220426

Yea, maybe if you had one of these I wouldn't mind. But, you don't so guess I'll just have to stay in front. It's better that way, trust me.

Anywho, what do you think? I like it.

axe3112

carmo wrote:zerothread?id=220426

Yea, maybe if you had one of these I wouldn't mind. But, you don't so guess I'll just have to stay in front. It's better that way, trust me.

Anywho, what do you think? I like it.
Never seen one of those....I'll give it this....its different for sure. Not my style but I am sure they will sell!

Its ok....I'll let you get in front...once in a while

carmo

Don't you start with me cupcake! People are gonna wonder where all the molten rubber sprinkles on the front end of your car came from. You can tell em that this dude came from out of nowhere, all ninja like, and flew past you at what seemed to be "LUDICROUS SPEED". Hahaha Yea! That just sounds right. Double up fool! It's Big Trouble wreckin shop! You go on an git!

axe3112

carmo wrote:Don't you start with me cupcake! People are gonna wonder where all the molten rubber sprinkles on the front end of your car came from. You can tell em that this dude came from out of nowhere, all ninja like, and flew past you at what seemed to be "LUDICROUS SPEED". Hahaha Yea! That just sounds right. Double up fool! It's Big Trouble wreckin shop! You go on an git!
5.7 - 3.5 = 2.2 = 2 Bad 2 Slow

cole d
Car: 93 S13 conv

how much $$ do you think you have in the swap total ?

axe3112

[QUOTE=cole d]how much $$ do you think you have in the swap total ?[/QUOTE

Too much!!!

But having a V8 in a 240Sx....priceless!!!!

Check out this site:

http://silviav8forums.com/foru...135c7

Read through it.....take notes....take your time....and you can save alot!!

A few members have listed prices of what they spent. There are so many ways to save money and still do it well if not better than I have. Its not an easy swap nor the least expensive......but it is what got me off my rear end and amped about getting back in the garage and working.

I'm sorry I didnt answer you question directly. This project has taken on a life of its own and I am mearly the workhorse. It gets what it needs....and usually what it wants as well.

To get an idea of what I spent myself just go to Hinson Supercars website, add up everything they offer for the S13.....everything. Then add about 2K. It can be done for less....or for alot more.....just depends.

ANVIL
Car: RB25DET S13.5

what companys offer wiring for this swap? i cant get to hinson's website right now at work.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

The wiring is too easy to pay someone else to do. But, if you don't feel comfortable, I wouldn't use Hinson.

Speartech or Howell Engineering both make quality harnesses.

Return to “Hybrids”