My last oil change was May 11, 2019.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

A little over 10,000 miles. It's on ramps draining at the moment for a few hours. I wonder if I can I drain for a couple days with no problems? I did leave my cvt transmission drain for a week waiting for a new pan. Didn't have any issue.

While flushing it with Amsoil transmission flush, it sounded so buttery quite and smooth too.

So I have the capability to leave it on ramps for a few days or weeks for the matter. I actually did a overnight drain before with no issues but want to be sure I'm doing no harm. :ohno:
Planning on doing a few maintenance routines while it's on ramps.

Because I thought of driving our 2006 Lexus IS250 with 14,300 miles so it won't break. More worried with the Lexus not driven enough could lead to ruin tires, engine, fuel lines etc. So trying to drive it more. :cry:

I did change the tires a couple years ago as a precaution, but it had absolutely no dry rot,
It's been garaged like a museum piece. Equivalent to driving less than 900 miles a year.

Yah, it has literally less miles than 1 Amsoil oil change this whole time.

We usually own a half dozen cars through the years, and actually trying to sell 2 vehicles at the moment. :woot:

Appreciate any input, thxs. :bigthumb:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No worries, I think, but you might leave the filter on until you're ready to resume, in case the drainback hardware has any issues. Probably doesn't, and appreciable oxidation of metal won't happen on a timescale measurable in hours. Oxidation of the oil along with water-sludge from unpurged humidity are the primary oil-destroyers when a car sits, so from that standpoint, the longer it drains the better.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'm always a proponent of more frequent oil changes. Years and years of reading expert oil analyses has led me to the following conclusion, which science supports:

Clean oil (no matter the brand) is better than old dirty oil. Miles aren't the only determinant, and I've seen firsthand what disuse creates inside an engine.

If nothing else, fire it up weekly and let it idle for 20 minutes, even if you don't drive it.

And I don't care what brand you use, but 10k miles OR 9 months is [almost] too long of an interval. At that point, the oil has drained into the pan and dried completely off the necessary surfaces, and water vapor sets up shop on exposed steel surfaces.

Don't fret about how long it drains. All the oil was in the pan anyway, if it's been sitting. For infrequent use, set a schedule of every 6 months at least, and don't worry about the mileage. You're *this* close to being 100% on the right track. :)

casperfun

I was mainly talking about my Nissan Rogue on ramps, just worried about the oil pump not being primed supposedly or losing oil. The consensus seems from online DD, is that I will be able to get .5 quarts more of the dirty oil out while draining it overnight or for a couple days. It actually seems that way with the flush too. :cool:

I will keep the oil filter on until I change it though. It was suppose to be my next step tomorrow actually.

Moreover, been trying to drive the Lexus more often by checking the tires, turning the ac on to lubricate, keeping fuel tank full, use ethanol cleaners, trying to drive it more. Etc.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

AZhitman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:48 pm
And I don't care what brand you use, but 10k miles OR 9 months is [almost] too long of an interval. At that point, the oil has drained into the pan and dried completely off the necessary surfaces, and water vapor sets up shop on exposed steel surfaces.
AZ is spot-on as usual, but it's actually worse than that, especially in a humid climate. Not only does much of the moisture end up clinging to naked top-end parts, but what drips off ends up as acidic sludge that corrodes the bottom end as well. Even idling the car up to temperature once every few weeks will boil most of that out and suck it out the PCV, preventing a whole lot of damage.

When I lived in El Paso I loved one thing about the desert above all else -- rust slept. Maybe AZ loves that too, but I'd be nuts not to respect rust here in Arkansas, or anyplace else with average humidity above 10%. Give the poor thing a break and run it more often.

casperfun

I’m not worried about motor oil related failure while using superior synthetic fluid and synthetic extended drain oil filters. Save the environment, save money, save my old back.

My Jatco cvt transmission will implode before the engine.

I don’t see how oil will drain and dry off necessary surfaces during 9 months or 10,000 miles when car is driven the whole time. As Toyota’s recommended oci is 10k.

I’m a proponent of frequent oil changes but only when it comes to cvt transmission oil.

Which is why I changed my NS-2 transmission oil 4 times in a two month period. And another transmission oil change another 13,000 miles later. Maybe I will do another again after 20k miles if I’m bored. Still on original cvt.

I even changed my diff & transfer case fluid after less than 50 miles on new 80w-90 fluid and went with 75w-90. Talk about frequent. I’m all for it! :slap:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:22 pm
Which is why I changed my NS-2 transmission oil 4 times in a two month period. And another transmission oil change another 13,000 miles later. Maybe I will do another again after 20k miles if I’m bored. Still on original cvt.
You need to become a Mythbuster, Casper. If it's worth doing, then it's worth over-doing.... :dblthumb:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Ah. Yeah, if it's driven regularly during that time, you're good.

Still no real need to let it drain for more than an hour or so. Those last few drops aren't the issue. :)

casperfun

I’m in the middle of changing out some Toyota Camry rear brakes & rotors. The eBay seller brake pads didn’t fit, so I had to go to advance auto and buy new ones. :bang

Anyways, after draining for 2 days, 5 quarts filled perfectly to the full line. So I guess you get the remaining .14 quarts. Not worth the night draining.

I will do an oil analysis when the kit comes. :woot:

Return to “Rogue Forum”