My Juke Review, with pics

The web's first forum dedicated to the Nissan Juke and the Nissan Qazana.
WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

So I finally got some free time for a test drive. I've been looking forward to feeling out the new CVT + Boost experience since they started the marketing. Although I admittedly thought the Juke was ugly when I first looked at it, like many others the Juke just seemed to grow on me as I looked at it more. Hopefully lot's of other people can get over the initial shock of how different it is appearance wise.

The only Juke on the lot here was a base model with CVT, which is probably the model my wife would get anyway. I was impressed with all of the options the base model came with :dblthumb:

I'm a boost addict, so the first thing I did was open everything up so I could take a good look under the hood.

It's hard to see the turbo itself, it's hidden behind heat shielding.

To crank up the boost all you need to do is install a boost controller in the left vacuum line below :bigthumb: Do so at your own risk btw, I don't recommend just anyone cranking up the boost. But if you're familiar with turbo's and air:fuel ratio's the Juke will be very easy to modify.

You can just make out the factory bypass valve under the cowl. Another item that will be easy to modify if you want the pssh pssh noise when you lift the throttle.

Here's the box that contains the air filter, I'd simply swap out the filter for a better flowing unit from K&N or any other brand that makes a good panel filter. No need to use one of those funnel type filters here because the Juke has a decent intake right from the factory. Adding an open element filter here would actually make you lose power imho. So unless you're doing a complete cold-air-intake, leave the stock unit intact.

Here's an area that I was disappointed in. The intercooler has plastic end tanks that are basically held on by clips. With increased boost these have the potential to leak. Not something most people worry about, but something for tuners to consider. I'm not saying they will leak if you add a few more psi of boost, I'm just saying it's something to be aware of. There is an easy fix that some people have done on similar intercoolers. You just need to tape off the area with the tabs and seal them with an epoxy. If it's done right it'll hold tons of boost and look good as well. The intercooler itself is a good size and will easily be able to cool 5-8 more psi of boost before an upgrade is required. The plastic end tanks might not even leak, I'm just going on record as saying they could. Also, 5-8 more psi is a rough equivalent to 50-80 hp.

Lots of room for a big intercooler if you do decide to crank the boost up and make the Juke into a monster.

See that tiny exhaust pipe? Open that up to 2.5 inches from the turbo back and use a free flowing muffler and I'm sure you'll get an easy 15hp.

Not a lot of room in the back, again something I already expected.

This is with the drivers seat set for myself, I'm 6' 2".

On to the test drive...

The first thing I noticed when I got in to actually drive the Juke was the lack of center console support for my right arm. All of my vehicles have been manually shifted for the last 15 years. So my right hand seems to hunt for something to do. Probably just me, but I thought it was worth mentioning. After I pulled out of the lot I mashed the throttle into the floor mat, crossed 3 lanes of traffic and lined up with an on ramp. The Juke accelerates pretty quickly, but it doesn't "feel" fast with the CVT option. I knew this going in, so I expected it to lack and real emotional rush. The manual option would provide plenty of feel for those that need that experience while driving. For the CVT Juke to "feel" fast it's going to need a few mods. Again, that is something I knew about going in. With that said, I was going 80mph before I actually entered the on ramp :dblthumb: I got on and off the freeway within a mile or so, hard to put the screws to something on the highway after all. The small amount of highway driving I did do was uneventful. It cruised along quietly.

After I exited the highway I zipped around for a few minutes on some surface streets. One thing is certain, there is no turbo lag to speak of at all. Boost is just a stab of the throttle away in any situation. The Juke really gets out of the hole at stop lights for a vehicle with a 1.8 liter motor. In fact the CVT makes you really have to watch your speed. For me the CVT removes to much of the "feel" I enjoy about driving in general, I would need a modified Juke :woot: With some added boost and a few upgrades to the exhaust and whatnot, the CVT Juke would get back some of the "feel" it seems to be missing. Or you can just get one with the manual trans. I guess either way I'd want to crank up the boost a bit though. With another 60-70 hp the Juke will be a wicked fun vehicle to drive.

I was able to enter and exit some really ugly parking lots at a good rate of speed ;) This is something I look for, since I'm not one to slam vehicles to the ground and crawl sideways into and out of any place I need to go. Just not my style. The amount of body roll was pretty good considering how high it sits. Parking the Juke was effortless. I backed up all around the Harbor Freight parking lot with ease.

Over all the Juke was easy to get in and go. I didn't notice any blind spots and felt comfortable behind the wheel within a few short minutes of driving. Like I mentioned already, the Juke will be a seriously fun vehicle to drive once you uncork a few more horse power. I imagine the aftermarket for the Juke will be booming in no time.

To small for me since I have 3 kids, but for people that don't have to worry about the back seat, the Juke is a great choice.

WD

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Holy hell.

Did Kate write that for you? ;) Nicely done, sir. This one's getting promoted.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Seth has been yelling at us...he's worse then Derf was :chuckle:

Here's the rest of the pictures I took.

Intake pipe coming from the intake filter box, going into the drivers side fender. Not a bad intake imho, maybe use some larger pipe and free up the opening in the fender/bumper area.

Turbo hot pipe into rubber hose, then down into the FMIC.

Right rear suspension.

Interior.

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

interesting, this is definitely something a little different for Nissan's production line

Return to “Juke Forum | Qazana Forum”