My G35 Problem?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
CentralCommando

Well, my G35 seemed to have a problem upon delivery. There was a terrible squeaking coming from what seemed to be the rear of the car. Clicking and squeaking. Not good in a $36K car. So I brought the car back to Flemington Infiniti, and they gave me a loaner. They had my car for EIGHT days.(Thank GOD I had a loaner) They finally traced the squeak to the rear roof area. They brought it to a body shop and insulated the entire back part of the roof with a body shop foam. They said that with the roof insulator (the inside roof panel) OFF, it could be still heard, a little. I took the car back just to try it out. It seems to be 95% better. But I still DO hear a slight clicking, sometimes, in the roof area. Its almost gone, but not quite. They said bring it back if there is still a problem, and I might do it. Flemington Infiniti was very nice about it. They kept working on the problem, and its definitely better. But it still annoys me a bit. Other then that, I love the car. The acceleration, the ride, the handling are all great. Everything works in the car perfectly too, so far. But I feel I HAVE to have them look at it again, although its a pain. Should it be perfect? Or am I losing my mind?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

If you bring it back its entirely up to you.It does sound like they worked on it pretty hard but then again thats what they warranty the car for.

No car is ever going to be completely quiet and the G offers better handling/braking/power than similiar priced cars from competitors, while still being roomier than most.If it annoys you, bring it back, otherwise well... nothing is ever perfect is it?

Fred...:)

PS: Please take pics of your car and upload them in our members rides section.A link is just below this sentence in my NICO signature

CentralCommando

Thanks, Fred.I will give it some thought. I felt some sympathy for the dealership. The roads in their location are perfect. The roads in my location stink. All they know how to do in my area is raise taxes. That is why I hear noise and they probably dont. I might let it go, I will see.Meanwhile, its been on my list to take some pics of my new car. I will do it in a day or two and post them. And you're right about the G-35. Its great. Some people have complained that the ride is stiff, but I dont think so. The car rides great. And handles and accelerates even better.:D

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

do you have a coupe or a sedan?

CentralCommando

G35X Sedan with everything but Nav.:)

PGrated

You're right about the roads in this area compared to the ones in the Flemington area. It brings out the squeaks even in the tightest of cars. Sorry to hear you are having the problem. I agree, with Fred. You can always bring it back and let the dealer look at it again to see if they can do more to resolve it.

Paul

CentralCommando

True, Pgrated, and thats what I am going to do. I have an appointment for Monday. The problem is MUCH better but Id like to see if they could get it completely eliminated. The roads in my area DO tick me off. Theres construction all over the place, huge machines are driving on crumbling roads, and all they seem to be able to do is raise taxes. But I am sure Im preaching to the choir here. Flemington Infiniti has been excellent service wise, and other then the noise, my car is excellent. But I hope the problem isnt because the guy who put together the roof area of my car was involved in a sake-drinking contest the night before..

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I know that there was someone else who had a similar problem. I beleive that their problem was that the flange from the right rear shock tower to the seatback support had come loose and that they fixed the problem using silcone sealant if I remember right. I'm not sure if this is the same type of problem that you have or not, but it may be something worth looking in to depending on the noise. I think theirs was more of a rattle than a squeak.

CentralCommando

That is interesting, Ryd. I will ask the dealer to look at that.Meanwhile, we had snow here in Jersey. My G35X barreled right through it like it wasnt even there.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

CentralCommando wrote:Meanwhile, we had snow here in Jersey. My G35X barreled right through it like it wasnt even there.

That is cool! If I can convince my wife, the G35X will be her next car! Should make it a lot easier to get to Tahoe in winter! :cool:

Z

rydwhite

That sounds like a really nice looking garage. An M45 parked next to a G35X. I'm envious of the Infiniti convoy you're building there Z.

szh

Thanks! Right now, it is an M45 parked next to a 1997 Acura 2.2CL. Very low miles on the Acura (about 43k after eight years!), and it is running very well, but it is grossly underpowered. Always has been, IMO. Now, after driving the M45, my wife now understands about power! :D So, a V6 is in the works for her.

As mentioned, I am trying to convince her to get the G35X, but she is leaning towards another Acura - the TL, most likely. Sometime in August is the plan. Personally, I think it would be cool to get a 2003 G35X then when the 2004's come out - we should be able to get a good deal from the dealer then! :)

Z

rydwhite

Yeah, you got work her towards the G. Nothing against the Acura TL, but it just doesn't seem to compare with the G in many aspects including power. The acura does have a little nicer interior in my opinion, but the interior of the G is very nice as well. Keep us posted.

PGrated

My vote is for the G35X too. I also test drove the TL before I got the G35X. I agree the interior appointments are nicer on the TL but the handling on the G35X is hands down better.

My wife had an acura integra ('89) also grossly underpowered. When we got rid of it, with 140,000 miles on it, the engine was still running perfectly, but the body was deteriorating rapidly with rust.

Good Luck!!Paul

rydwhite

I've heard alot of similar stories about the Acura's. You rarley hear of deteriorating Infiniti's.

CentralCommando

One of the guys I worked with has an Acura CL Type S sport coupe. Nice interior, great acceleration. Only problem is, hes blown two transmissions in the thing in two years. They keep telling him the engine is too big for the transmission. Hes covered by warranty but he is rather unhappy that his $35K coupe has problems, while his wife drives a 1994 Toyota Camry Coupe with 170K miles on it that runs just fine. It sort of turned me off to Acura. Say what you want about Lexus, but you really feel that Lexus is the true Luxury division of Toyota, just as you feel that Infiniti is the true luxury division of Nissan. Acura, however, I think is just another part of Honda.

szh

If you look on the Acura boards, there are indeed some number of reports of transmission problems on some of the 6 cylinder CL's in the past few years. Supposedly, this has been fixed as of recently. So I am surprised that your colleague had two of them go dead.

I agree with you all that I would much rather get the G35X (I have been driving an Infiniti of some sort for 13 years now), but this is still my wife's decision ultimately. And she likes her current Acura a lot, except for the low power. Oh, well ... we will see what happens in August!

Z

SeXyQ45GirlyBrittney
Car: RACING! PARTIES! FRIENDS!! CARS!

Umm this is a infiniti lovers post GET THE G SCREW THE TL

szh

ilovecs wrote:Umm this is a infiniti lovers post GET THE G SCREW THE TL

Yeah, I know! :)

I love Infiniti cars ... been driving one since 1991. But, the next car will be for my wife and she loves her current Acura ... so we gotta spend some time looking at one for sure.

Z

CentralCommando

PROBLEM FIXED! (Almost)It would appear that the guys at Flemington Infiniti fixed my rattle. One thing I will say, they tried hard enough. I bought my car about six weeks ago and I think Ive had my loaner longer then my car. Now I only hear the rattle for a few seconds on rare occasions, so I think Im going to let it go. Now I can get down to the business of REALLY enjoying my car. My loaner was the same G35X as my car, but its not the same, if you know what I mean :)

rydwhite

Great news. It's about time they figured it out. Did they tell you what the problem was? It would be good information to have here for anyone else with a similar problem.

CentralCommando

Ryd,

This was a rare problem that it would appear only I had. They still arent 100% sure of what it was, but it would appear that two pieces of metal very internal to the body were not fitting together 100% properly, and under certain conditions the car would click and rattle. And it WAS rather strange conditions. I could be going 90 on the highway and not hear a thing, but if I was going 35MPH on fairly rough roads Id hear it. They insulated the entire back roof area. First the right side, which made it much better, then the left side, which almost elminated the noise entirely. Ive only heard the noise once for a few seconds in the two weeks Ive been driving the car.

PGrated

Hey that's great news!!Well, like you said, there's nothing like your own car. Enjoy!!

Paul

rydwhite

CentralCommando wrote:Ryd,

This was a rare problem that it would appear only I had. They still arent 100% sure of what it was, but it would appear that two pieces of metal very internal to the body were not fitting together 100% properly, and under certain conditions the car would click and rattle. And it WAS rather strange conditions. I could be going 90 on the highway and not hear a thing, but if I was going 35MPH on fairly rough roads Id hear it. They insulated the entire back roof area. First the right side, which made it much better, then the left side, which almost elminated the noise entirely. Ive only heard the noise once for a few seconds in the two weeks Ive been driving the car.

So, they never actually fixed the rattle itself. They just insulated so, you couldn't hear it? I guess that is what is really important though.

90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

Glad to hear you're not hearing the clicking sound anymore. Now go take some corners at 50mph. :D

Nick

CentralCommando

True, Ryd, they never fixed the rattle itself. It wouldve probably been impossible without taking the entire car apart piece by piece. The dealer told me that the next step would have involved me calling Infiniti and getting an engineer from Infiniti North America down to the dealership. I was glad I didnt have to do that. I think what the insulation did was prevent the two pieces of metal from rubbing together as loudly. It was really some form of foam rubber that they had a body shop inject into the roof and back areas. They did close to $1000.00 in work on it.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”