My front lip... Made from wood!!!

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
sr20power
Car: S14 Zenki

Yup, just what I imagined. Actually it looks worse on the car! And I don't think having it 2inches off the ground is even going to make it look any better.

To each his own....i guess.

Chris28
Car: 92 s13 KA-T

Everyone is freaking out about it being made out of wood. People who track their cars have been using wood for front splitters and have had great results. If it ever breaks...it's wood. 20 bucks for a new sheet of plywood and you have another one. People make entire under-car diffusers out of wood as well. It's a cheap solution that happens to work very well.

That being said, OP it didn't do anything to enhance the image of your car. In fact it made it worse. I'm not trying to come off as a prick, but your time and money could be much better spent.

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Yeah it doesn't flow well at all with the shape of the car. I just cant see I lasting as well.

what did you mount it with? I am envisioing it ripping the bumper off the car

EnjoiNismo
Car: 93 240sx

needs to be metal imo

lonely_coupe
Car: s13 hatch

might not be so bad. paint it and put it on. if it gets destroyed then oh wells right?

i like your avatar BTW.

lonely_coupe
Car: s13 hatch

upon further review (just saw it mounted) i say if you make it rounded with the shape of the bumper, it would look pretty good as a splitter or rub plate of some sorts, but those cutouts are way too aggressive for your rather stock looking s14.

Fibre guy
Car: 91' s13 RB25DET, 95' s14 bone stock, 87' Wrangler 4.6L stroker

I wouldn't rock it...I suggest pulling it off and making a fiberglass shell of the wood instead of actually using the wood. Lighter, stronger, and you won't get flamed for it. I'll post an explanation on how to do it if you want me to but I don't want to clamor up the thread with useless info.

blacksrjdm
Car: 89 240sx, 99 CBR900RR.

Ah, I see what you did there, you made a step so that you can work on your car. Are you extremely short, or, is this just so that you can reach into the engine bay with short arms? I might fab up the same sort of thing for working under my hood. You might want to pick up a wheel stand too for working on the sides. Or built a step all the way around so that it is easier to wash the roof and so forth.

Doya
Car: '95 240sx KA-T

blacksrjdm wrote:Ah, I see what you did there, you made a step so that you can work on your car. Are you extremely short, or, is this just so that you can reach into the engine bay with short arms? I might fab up the same sort of thing for working under my hood. You might want to pick up a wheel stand too for working on the sides. Or built a step all the way around so that it is easier to wash the roof and so forth.
No, I'm actually 6'2", so I didn't have any problems reaching anything. As for what everyone else said, I probably won't keep it. I will try to make something else that isn't as big, something more subtle

Doya

Fibre guy wrote:I wouldn't rock it...I suggest pulling it off and making a fiberglass shell of the wood instead of actually using the wood. Lighter, stronger, and you won't get flamed for it. I'll post an explanation on how to do it if you want me to but I don't want to clamor up the thread with useless info.
That would be great if you could do that. I am going to make a new template first though, something that doesn't stick out as far, and something more round.

blacksrjdm

O you must have a short mechanic or something, because that isnt going to work as a splitter. It is bulky, it is heavy, and it is made of wood.
Chris28 wrote:Everyone is freaking out about it being made out of wood. People who track their cars have been using wood for front splitters and have had great results. If it ever breaks...it's wood. 20 bucks for a new sheet of plywood and you have another one. People make entire under-car diffusers out of wood as well. It's a cheap solution that happens to work very well.
Just because you have seen it done doesnt make it right and doesnt mean that they are beneficial. Putting wood on a car isnt making anything more aerodynamic. Wood has rough surfaces, which means drag. A splitter and difuser should be as smooth as can be, therefore made of a composite such as fiberglass, or aluminum. Wood is too thick, too heavy and the flat surfaces are not smooth, not to mention, if the wood is too close to something hot, like the exhaust, could cuase a fire. I am disapointed to think that people are really believing that this is going to be at all beneficial to the cars aero.

BTW, are you the same guy that made the thread about going to Home Depot and what should you pick up. Because, this shouldnt have been on the list. It is and will be considered by anyone that sees this in person, the next form of rice. Carpenters trying to be tuners. Stick to your trade, plywood has no place on a vehicle... unless it is holding your speaker, and that is a different wood altogether.
Modified by blacksrjdm at 7:15 AM 8/7/2009

Doya

blacksrjdm wrote:O you must have a short mechanic or something, because that isnt going to work as a splitter. It is bulky, it is heavy, and it is made of wood.

Just because you have seen it done doesnt make it right and doesnt mean that they are beneficial. Putting wood on a car isnt making anything more aerodynamic. Wood has rough surfaces, which means drag. A splitter and difuser should be as smooth as can be, therefore made of a composite such as fiberglass, or aluminum. Wood is too thick, too heavy and the flat surfaces are not smooth. I am disapointed to think that people are really believing that this is going to be at all beneficial to the cars aero.

BTW, are you the same guy that made the thread about going to Home Depot and what should you pick up. Because, this shouldnt have been on the list. It is and will be considered by anyone that sees this in person, the next form of rice. Carpenters trying to be tuners. Stick to your trade, plywood has no place on a vehicle... unless it is holding your speaker, and that is a different wood altogether.
Ok, real quick:(1) I don't have a mechanic, I do all the work myself ,(2) No, I wasn't that retard who made that Home Depot shopping list,and(3) I agree that the design is wrong, but there is nothing wrong with it being made out of wood.

blacksrjdm

95ka24de_zenki wrote:I agree that the design is wrong, but there is nothing wrong with it being made out of wood.
Says the 15 year old with the wooden splitter that weighs as much as the bumper. Do what you like, all I know is that there are alot of reasons why not to use wood as a body piece and weight and rain are the first two. Along with the fact that it is too thick and isnt going to split the air in the proper way, that is going to chop the air and break it away from the car. The rough edges of wood arent going to smoothly cut the air in front of the car in order for it to be split properly between the radiator/intercooler and the underside of the car.

"A Wind Splitters is a protruding flat surface in the front of a car that is designed to decrease front end lift and exert downforce. By creating a high pressure area on top of the wind splitter, high pressure air flow is restricted to flow underneath a car. With low pressure below the car, the effect of lift is reduced and a driver can gain from the extra traction and control."

Wood isnt going to help with any of that, except weighing down the front bumper so it will slowly pull it off.

TroubleBound
Car: 1992 240SX Hatch

Hey man that lip is pretty b****in!! I just bought a lip online couple months ago if only i had thought to use wood than i would be $120 richer!!1! Hell i bet theres even some other parts we could make out of wood to save a little money right?! You guys always talking about your cool wheels and tires try some of this booYAH: I never work on my car without the chainsaw handy. I'm currently working on a wooden turbo. Why stop there though, who needs metal at all? Just roll this s*** down the hill on your way to work and throw in some wooden pedals for the way back.

All the people getting 240's these days are 16 or younger, and keep making threads like 'spray bombed my car', 'home depot lip', Its insane. If you have money to buy a car, do you not also have means to save money to put parts on it? Why buy a car and make it worse? It costs money to make your car nicer guys, you can't just do it for free, or it will show. Seriously my lip was $120 shipped on ebay. And its made of fiberglass, (urethane>fiberglass) which is a big step up from wood. Its light and thin and if it breaks it won't take your bumper with it.

spooled240
Car: kouki s14

just round it off like the contour of the bumper without those fang looking things and it'll look way better.

Doya

All the people getting 240's these days are 16 or younger, and keep making threads like 'spray bombed my car', 'home depot lip', Its insane. If you have money to buy a car, do you not also have means to save money to put parts on it? Why buy a car and make it worse? It costs money to make your car nicer guys, you can't just do it for free, or it will show. Seriously my lip was $120 shipped on ebay. And its made of fiberglass, (urethane>fiberglass) which is a big step up from wood. Its light and thin and if it breaks it won't take your bumper with it. [/QUOTE]

I have money to buy parts . I had to take off my bumper to mount my I/C and I figured while I had it off I might try to make a splitter, but it didn't turn out that great . It was only my first try. Anyway, I'm just going to keep it off and leave well enough alone.

blacksrjdm

I was looking for that exact pic with the log rims. s***s are hot yo. Nothing wrong with having wood on your car right OP...

S13Teddy
Car: R32 Skyline, S13

God, that looks like garbage.

Fibre guy
Car: 91' s13 RB25DET, 95' s14 bone stock, 87' Wrangler 4.6L stroker

Since you would like to know how to fiberglass it I'll explain.

Now remember, if you want a thin one just do the top. But, if you want a thick one go around the front to the bottom. You will understand in a bit.

What you going to need is some tin foil, some fabric glue spray, masking tape, some fiberglass chopped strand mat, some polyester resin, gloves, a 2" china bristle brush, and please, an OSHA approved respirator.

Cover the top, front, and bottom with masking tape.Put the gloves on and lightly spray little bits of the tape at time with the glue while laying down tin foil. Make sure its flat and smooth.Then quickly (you have about 7-8 mins total after you mix the MEKP in) mix and brush on a thin layer of polyester resin.Now that you have a layer of resin on it start sticking some fiberglass mat on. then, with a dabbing motion, add resin into it until all the mat is uniformly wet out.Simply wait 20 mins for it dry and do the next layer until desired thickness.You can also do small patches of resin at a time so its easier since your a beginner. Remember it gels up quicklyAfter your done its just as easy as pulling it off. Some effort might be involved and don't use curves that will hold onto it.

You can get cheapo resin and fiberglass at walmart in the car section.Sorry if I made it confusing, I tried to make it as short a possible. just post if you don't understand anything.You can also search the web for write ups to get a better understanding of what I'm saying.

blacksrjdm

Hey, If you have money to buy parts then buy a splitter. I didnt mean any of my posts to be demeaning towards you. Was really just trying to get you to understand that wood is not the proper material for such a part. Good luck with the car and hope that you will buy the parts rather than trying to make your own from wood. Wood doesnt belong on the outside of the car. Only on the inside if you have a speaker box.

wishin_on_an_sr
Car: '89 hatch and '92 coupe

weel to be honest, i dont care much for this splitter, not because it is wood, but because it doesnt flow very well. well, i guess ill be a smartass and bring up the "splinter" simply because i think its badass, and a cool project, and begs the question,maybe it is possible to do stuff with wood if done correctly?i cant find the finished pics or the artical i saw about it http://www.joeharmondesign.com/edit: notice the lack of a wooden splitter
Modified by wishin_on_an_sr at 1:57 PM 8/7/2009

Kalypso

thats a real wooden car?...... wtf!?

lrb_2000
Car: '91 KA-T hatch

wow, that lip looks rediculous.. I hope that's a joke.

sultan

wood splitters aren't that bad but you can't mount it to the bumper if you're going for functionality.

it's like 1/2 inch birch plywood, mounted with heim joints. russell said he's beaned tires/cones/etc at 60mph and nothing happened to it.

Ilvemynissan
Car: 240sx s13

Fale!

OM3GA
Car: A Sexy Mobile, 1993 Nissan 240sx 180sx Hatcher

Ilvemynissan wrote:Fale!
LOL!

My god sir

wishin_on_an_sr
Car: '89 hatch and '92 coupe

Kalypso wrote:thats a real wooden car?...... wtf!?
it is, and it gave me a boner tooheres a link to more pics and an artical done on ithttp://www.automobilemag.com/g....htmland the artical http://www.automobilemag.com/g....html

Second Shadow
Car: 93' 240sx, s13 blacktop sr20det

Honestly, it doesn't look that good. It really needs more depth, and prob more paint so you can't see the wood grains.

Having said that there's no practical reason wood can't be used if done right. They use wood in small airplanes, I guess someone's going to say the aerodynamics on those are crap now too.

MyNISMO314
Car: 91 SE Coupe w/red top sr20det(currently for sale)

youre not afraid about termites eating that s*** up??

Return to “240sx General Discussion”