My first AutoX event - Dec 11th!! Virginia Motorsports Park

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
HijackTheLeft
Car: '90 240sx coupe

I've taken a major interest in AutoX over the last couple months, and theres an event at Virginia Motorsports Park on Dec 11th that I'm trying to take part in (the registration page is handing me a load of deuchebaggery, but I'm waiting on a response from those in charge of the event).

Anyway, assuming the registration situation gets rectified, does anybody have any tips in addition to the FAQ sticky regarding race prep, or just things to know when I get there? Also, will anybody else from NICO be attending?

GhostDriver
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX RMS13

Don't be surprised by understeer and be smooth. You'll work the kinks out with more seat time (like I so desperately need more of).

HijackTheLeft

I thought 240s were prone to oversteer? I'm definately going to get as much seat time as possible. It's a shame this is the last event of the year... i think the next one isnt til march.

240marcuSX
Car: E34 525i
E46 M3

nope, 240s understeer like crazy when theyre stock,

I was going to go to that same event. but at the last event i went to a few weeks ago, i messed up my clutch, and i have to replace a bunch of crap now, so im out for the season. and vmsc autocrosses arent as fun as they could be.

edit - if you really want to have fun, go to a nasacross, more runs, costs more, less people, less strict (youll see what i mean)

http://www.nasaracing.net or http://www.get-fast.net

HijackTheLeft

that sucks about your clutch. I've heard that nasa autocrosses are much better, but they don't have any upcoming events on their site. Also, it's so hard for me to get weekends off of work, that I pretty much have to take what I can get. Are there a lot of people at the events that aren't running, like spectators and whatnot?

driftin2trance
Car: 96 240sx

cool, good luck on ur first one and dont get embarassed when u mess up or confused with all the cones. and get someone to ride with u the first couple of times to get familiar.remember" in case of a spin, both feet in"

HijackTheLeft

thanks. i'm doing a ride-a-long with somebody else first. It's going to make the rest of my runs "fun runs" but it's not like im in the points competition or anything. I think the ride-a-long will help me get a feel for how fast I need to be taking the corners and when I should brake and steer and all. I've never heard that saying before, but I love it.

driftin2trance
Car: 96 240sx

with the sayin, the people try to correct their spin and they do more crap rather than just stoping. one guy hit the light pole after like 30ft. (it was his first time and he didnt know how to drive and he was 16). i also learned it the hard way but i missed the pole by 15 feet and almost flipped the car. yea, just take ride alongs and the person that rides with u, let him tell u what ur doing wrong. it will take time to get better, but it is def a lot of fun.

240marcuSX
Car: E34 525i
E46 M3

not a lit of spectators, just peoples friends or girlfriends. nobobdy comes just to watch randomly.

i was regiestered for both of nasa's autumn doublecross events, until the clutch situation.

HijackTheLeft

I was gonna try to make it out to the NASA autumn doublecross, but i had to work. I specifically requested this weekend off though. I'm pretty excited about it.

le_ryan
Car: Mazda 3 / 91 nissan S13 SR

ive never had a run, so i dont got advise, but good luck! ill be ready for next season for my first, i want it so bad im nervous for you....!giver hell !! and have fun ! and learn from your mistakes...

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

pfft, had not had much problems with understeer at all. stock the 240 does not want to rotat, ya, oh well. Run a higher air pressure in the rear then in the front. On my current tires I run 36 PSI front, 38 Back. Experiment and see what you like.

HijackTheLeft

I had an amazing time Sunday. Some of the cars that were there were unbelievable. A guy took me for a ride-a-long in his 12 second Mini Cooper. That was awesome. I definately have more respect for those cars now. But anyway, I didn't have too much of a problem with understeer. Honestly, I didn't have really have any problem with it, except for going around the carousel. New tires are a must-have though, before I ever consider thinking about autocrossing competitively. I was sliding all over the place. The site still hasn't posted the results, so I don't know how I compared to other cars in my class, but I'll be sure to post as soon as I find out.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”