My clutch pedal has NO pressure!!!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
sprintman
Car: 1992 240sx vert 1989 Porsche 944

So my clutch had gone bad a while back and i had replaced it. Bled everthing and all was fine but my clutch pedal wasnt all the way up(about half way or alil more). So it drove fine and then i hadnt driven my in a while and got it out and my pedal had no pressure. So i was pretty sure my slave cylinder went bad and replaced it. But when i replaced it and tried bleeding it i get no pressure what so ever. If i push the pedal(have to do it with my hand) the i get pressure until i leave it alone for 2 seconds and then i lose it again. I have no idea and would love any info or help you have thanks.

Emperor_Tha

bad clutch master cylinder

CMG
Car: 1989 240sx Hatch w/ Redtop

Yup, master or slave. Did it take a little while to go out, like it stayed down sometimes?

edmond
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

I got the same problem before. It was the master cylinder. Watch the oil level in the clutch reservior to see if it drops when that happens. The oil is recycling in the system so it should maintain in the sam level. If drops, there is a leak in your system. I got a leak in my clutch master cylinder before. You need to check carefully to ensure which component you should change to solve the problem. Also, make sure you bled the system completely. In my case, it took me quite a long time to do so as the bubbles came out very slowly.

eastreetmotorsports
Car: 91' Nissan 300zx Z32 TT, 72' Datsun 240z, 93 RX7 FD3S R1, 93' Nissan Xterra

how long did it take to bleed your system, cause i kept trying and trying, i replaced the master cylinder, slave cylinder and i get no pressure at all my pedal goes straight to the floor, a friend of mine said it could be my pressure plate is not working right, i just replace it but he said the springs my not be doing the job right, so should i replace me clutch pressure plate again?? help!!!!!

Lopin18
Car: 240sx Hatch 89 KA24E

well i had a similar problem

You could try disconnecting the hardline from the master cyl, put ur finger there and press it real hard, and someone push the pedal to see if its squirting with pressure and stuff, the connect it then go to the slave bleed it and stuff and make sure the slave is pushing the fork all the way, if its just leaking or reeeal weak or not moving it u know what that means, Cyl bad, if it is moving just fine, it could be ur pressure plate or somethihng

happened to me when i started abusing my car, pressure plate clutch to bearing all broken

240bahamas
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

had the same prob. changed master and slave cylinders and still no pressure. found out there was a dampener that the line from the master goes into before it connects to the slave. i re-routed the line so that it would bypass the dampener and connected it directly to the slave. bled the lines and instant pressure. haven't looked back since.

scottydog
Car: 1992 240sx

There are two bleed nipples, one for the slave and the other for the crap dampener box. You have to bleed one, then the other, repeat this a couple more times.

Or just dump the dampener.

RCG_Savage
Car: '92 240sx fastback

scottydog wrote:There are two bleed nipples, one for the slave and the other for the crap dampener box. You have to bleed one, then the other, repeat this a couple more times.

Or just dump the dampener.
Get rid of the dampener, that thing is just a PITA. I tried to bled my system once with the dampener installed when I first got my 240sx, I spent an hour and got no where. I bought a removal kit it took only 5 minutes.

Perry G
Car: 1986.5 Nissan XE King Cab 5 Speed Z24

Where do you get a Clutch Dampner removal kit?????????

scottydog

ditto dumping the dampener. There is a valve in it that craps out, causing mucho problems.

My local auto parts store gave me a 5" flexible connector that fit. Or if you are brave you can bend the clutch hydraulic line and connect it directly to the slave.

kpariaug
Car: 1993 240sx Fastback SE

dont have to buy anything i just bent the hardline from the master to the rubber hose on the slave and connected it just make sure there are no tight kinks (it can be done by hand and takes less than a min).

i had to do is yesterday i had the same problem and replaced all the same stuff. its the box. i just left it there disconnected.

240bahamas
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

kpariaug wrote:dont have to buy anything i just bent the hardline from the master to the rubber hose on the slave and connected it just make sure there are no tight kinks (it can be done by hand and takes less than a min).

i had to do is yesterday i had the same problem and replaced all the same stuff. its the box. i just left it there disconnected.

crashcourse
Car: 92 nissan 240sx-hatch, 95 240sx- coupe

I have had the same problem before and had no dampner already removed it . First the sleeve in the bell housing was seperated fixed that, thought I fixed the problem. Then, I drove with no issues, took a trip went to the floor again so WTF.

Clutch pedal adjustment..sounds funny but it was my problem .

I guess when I put the new clutch in the throwout didnt move as far..

jlee11880

Where is this dampener? I see it connected to what the service manual refers to as the "clutch piping connector", is that what you are all referencing to?

Kalypso

jlee11880 wrote:Where is this dampener? I see it connected to what the service manual refers to as the "clutch piping connector", is that what you are all referencing to?
its the little box on the left. but in this photo its reversed it will be under you passenger seat. not far from the slave cylinder, its easy to spot.

h.240
Car: 1991 240sx hatchback

Here is an article on how to do it, its not hard at all - http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=251959

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

I deleted mine and looks like this. Just remove the dampener and bend the hard line carefully and reconnect. That's about it.

Kalypso

I like that nice bracket your using, what did you use for that.

94_240sx

Quote »I like that nice bracket your using, what did you use for that.[/quote]You mean this? It's an OEM bracket. I got it from a junkyard. You should have it otherwise harld line and clutch line will hanging around hitting/rattling and stuff. Unfortunately, it's no longer available from the dealership.

Kalypso

I'll fab something, the junk yards near my house have no 240's.

It will be interesting to feel the clutch without the dampner box and see what its like compared to before.

thank you

94_240sx

I've never had a dampner box before, so I can't compare, but my clutch feel is very solid. You will love it without the dampner.

jlee11880

Thank you very much for clarifying that, even took time to get a pic. I'm having similar issues and am about to tackle the entire clutch system to find out what it is, so your feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks Kalypso, and every here who contributed to the post and forum. Makes me glad to be a Nissan owner.

Kalypso

your welcome,

I have the same issue but its no worry, I just did a swap and my clutch fluid hasn't circulated its way into the slave cylinder yet.

when you bleed the slave cylinder, you can attach a hose to the bleeder valve and place the other end of the hose into a cup filled with clutch fluid.

while you pump you wont get bubbles into the system.

good luck!
Modified by Kalypso123 at 6:15 PM 4/19/2008

emerica9004
Car: 1991 240 SX

same with my car. Where do i get the dampner removal kit? i tried ebay but found nothing

Kalypso

you dont need a kit, you just remove it, and bend the hard line back into the soft, as you see in the pics above.

you'll need a little bracket to hold the hard line so it doesn't flap around... but thats easy enough.

read the whole thread. its all here.

DriftN2Forty
Car: '95 240SX M/T Full rebuild

I just had this exact problem. I replaced the master and slave and only got a little movement from the slave. I slit the end of a straw, zip tied it onto the end of the bleed valve and put the straw into a jar (same thing others have said pretty much) I then had someone continuously pour fluid into the clutch reservoir while I pumped the petal very fast. I could hear the air coming out and after about a minute, I felt a lot of pressure. I closed off the bleed valve and then it was perfect.

I believe this has to be bled quite fast because of the size of the tube. Definitely a 2 man job.

emerica9004
Car: 1991 240 SX

If it were the pressure plate wouldnt the slave cylinder fork move? I am pretty sure its the slave because I have pressure at the hardline out of the master and at the dampner bleeder but not at the slave and the fork doesnt move at all. Just waiting on some money to come in.

scottydog

Emerica- If your slave went bad it would leak.

The dampener has a valve that gets crapped up. 100% that is your problem. It's worthless anyway. Dump it, bend the pipe around, reconnect, rebleed. You can also get a 5" connector/brake line hose from an auto parts store for under $10 (I did) and reconnect without bending the pipe.

To bleed you hook up a tube on the bleed nipple and submerge it in a cup of fluid, or open the valve as someone pushes the pedal down, closing before the air starts to go back in. Pull the pedal back up and keep repeating. Check the master fluid level every few minutes.

You will smile this afternoon when your clutch is as good as new...

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=251959

Modified by scottydog at 8:02 AM 5/16/2008
Modified by scottydog at 8:05 AM 5/16/2008

sirgilbert357
Car: 93 240sx KA24DE

emerica9004 wrote:If it were the pressure plate wouldnt the slave cylinder fork move? I am pretty sure its the slave because I have pressure at the hardline out of the master and at the dampner bleeder but not at the slave and the fork doesnt move at all. Just waiting on some money to come in.
Dude, the slave is cheap. I got a Beck/Arnley one for like 35 bucks...if you need, I will look up where I bought it from and give you the link...let me know. OEM is like well over a hundred bucks from what I have seen and thats just stupid...

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”