My clutch burned out.. again... what should I do while I have the engine out?

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
calhoward
Car: 2007 Altima 2.5 Base

Hi all. 2007 Altima 2.5 M/T with 160,000ish miles here. I have run into the unfortunate difficulty of needing to replace my clutch as the slipping is starting to get pretty bad.

I did it myself back in '20, right when COVID was ramping up. It was hell. I did it outside in a muddy dirt lot (trailer park), no lift just a cherry picker and a tranny jack, during rainy season in Southeast GA, and had to wait months and months for parts/tools, because like I said this was at the very beginning of COVID and logistics and manufacturing were in a state of utter chaos.

Now I find myself in a better situation, still no garage but I have at least upgraded to a place with a concrete driveway. And I kept all the tools. I reckon I could bang this out in a weekend, with the experience of having done it once before. If I recall, it was only a few engine mounts I struggled the most with but for the most part the ordeal was smooth. Still, this sucks and is an important lesson on how to treat your clutch. I barely put 20,000 miles on her.

On the bright side, I'm excited to teach a few buddies how to drive stick, seeing that the clutch is already toast and they can't make it worse.

Oh, and to anybody saying that you need to drop the engine and that it's impossible to lift it up and out, you're misled ;)

Anyway that's my unfortunate story. What I came to ask is what the community recommends doing while I have the engine out? Last time I didn't do much other than inspect the block. This time I'd like to detail the engine bay, maybe put some paint here and there. Is there anything glaring that I should 100% without a doubt do while the engine is up in the air? I can't think of much, but figured I'd ask. Thanks for any input.

TL;DR: What improvements/routine maintenance should I perform on the engine bay or engine itself, if any, while the engine is removed from the 2007 Altima and up in the air?

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”