My car won't rev pass 3000 rpm

All things Altima Coupe.
soxypoo
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 ( gone )
2010 red G37X w/sportpackage
2012 sentra ser spec v loaded

Yesterday it was raining all day , when I get out of work around 11:30 pm the car started but when I try to go pass 3000 rpm it choke and the engine completely shut down , no steering what so ever . I was driving on the side street so no cars around thank god , so I pulled over and restart the car band it start fine but just try to rev pass 3000 rpm without moving it do the same thing. I kept restart and rev to about 2500 so about a min or so and out to drive and it still won't go pass 3000 , so I drive home mostly highway , going under 3000 rpm the whole time. I don't know what is the problem and this morning it fine now , like nothing happen . When that happened last night , the vdc and slip lights came on and not they are off. I have cf hood , any ideas wtf happen to my car last nite ???? Thanks guys

wade001
Car: 2009 Altima coupe 2.5s mt

your CF hood, is it the one with the slots in it? Oh, and was it raining?

soxypoo
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 ( gone )
2010 red G37X w/sportpackage
2012 sentra ser spec v loaded

Yes and yes , it was down pouring

deadlock1906
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5 6MT

I don't know too much about the new coupe yet. But I know when I had my 02 Altima there was something known as "limp mode" and it happened when something was wrong with my MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). Sounds like the problem you're having.

sc20
Car: 2010 Dark Slate Altima Coupe

My buddy has an 09 cvt and he had the same problem. his car would wine up like a supercharger but would not go past 3000. It ended up being that his transmission was bad. Hes gone through two trannys. Best thing would be to take your car to the dealer

wade001

It was your MAF(mass air flow sensor), it got wet from the rain. the combination of slotted hood and a cone filter can make this problem very possible. there are 2 ways the MAF could have gotten wet.1) rain got into the sensor itself and 2) more likely tons of moisture if not water got into the intake because of the open cone filter resulting in the MAF's inability to measure air because water contaminated the sensors measurement. Basically what happened is that and your car went into "safe" mode which prevents possible damage to the engine. It went away because the next day the water/moisture evaporated. I think your kinda lucky, this happened to my 300zx and the MAF was ruined.

wade001

sc20 wrote:My buddy has an 09 cvt and he had the same problem. his car would wine up like a supercharger but would not go past 3000. It ended up being that his transmission was bad. Hes gone through two trannys. Best thing would be to take your car to the dealer
If they see what i mentioned ill bet they wont warranty anything

mmx23z
Car: 2008 A/C 2.5s CVT

i just drove 3-4 hrs straight & my car hasnt passed 3500 rpm! i cant shift in manual mode & if i have it in drive & its in a lower gear i can only shift up! wth? i can floor it & it accelerate i went up to 80 but it wont pass 35 any comments?

edit: parked the car for about an hr & everythings back to normal? maybe the cvt was overheating? its 97 outside

wade001

mmx23z wrote:i just drove 3-4 hrs straight & my car hasnt passed 3500 rpm! i cant shift in manual mode & if i have it in drive & its in a lower gear i can only shift up! wth? i can floor it & it accelerate i went up to 80 but it wont pass 35 any comments?
I really cant tell you for sure, there are many things it could be, not nessesarily what I mentioned before. I guess maybe I can list a few things that would cause a MAF to go bad (dont hate if you dont like it ppl). The function of the MAF is to measure air flowing past it.TUNING: Based off of that the ECU calculates the correct amount of fuel ex: (14pts air to 1 part fuel). When tuning/etc the MAF is very important as that is one key thing in changing fuel delivery, other key sensors are the O2 sensors (air fuel ratio sensor for our car), there are so many things really though so I wont go into detail. back to the MAF! A lot of people will add for example an intake or such to increase air flow, while it does do this your ECU simply changes it's calculations to still maintain the 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. Sooooo, you really dont get any power from an intake, but i guess a fair number of you guys know that already. POSSIBLE MAF DAMAGE CAUSES::: The MAF is electronic, and as mentioned a lil earlier, it doesnt like water. which was the cause of this particular problem. so if you can, try to keep you engine bay dry. ANOTHER common issue for MAF damage is to do with intakes, not the intake it's self but what a lot of them require to be cleaned. and that is some sort of oil. a lot of people use too much oil when doing this, the excess oil filters through the intake filter and covers the MAF's sensor thats inside the intake. it basically contaminates the MAF or it shorts it or whatever. I'm not trying to deture people from intakes or anything, you just have to know what not to do and how to do it. i love the idea of modding, I'm just to poor to do it lol (college student and relationship status -_^), but I know if I had about 6K i could put power close to a turbo without one and not affecting reliability, sorry not gunna tell you, cuz i want to be the first to really do it :naughty: ! My real problem with trying to help in situations like this is that after that people dont say anything in response, why who knows, or i could be wrong. either way it feels people dont care for my input :gotme . so i dont post much, and I dont have many mods so there is little to talk about (except in the near future lol). I also only post on interesting things for me, blah,blah blah!!! but enough of my rant. to try to answer your question, have you recently oiled you filter(i think I saw u have one in ur sig), if so, put the stock intake on and play dumb at the dealer and they should warranty it. if not who knows. still take it to the dealer. But I hope it gets fixed and good luck!

mmx23z
Car: 2008 A/C 2.5s CVT

wade001 wrote: My real problem with trying to help in situations like this is that after that people dont say anything in response, why who knows, or i could be wrong. either way it feels people dont care for my input :gotme . so i dont post much, and I dont have many mods so there is little to talk about (except in the near future lol). I also only post on interesting things for me, blah,blah blah!!! but enough of my rant. to try to answer your question, have you recently oiled you filter?
i havent oiled my filter, im actually in the market for a dry filter cuz of the oil maintanance with mine now... did it once 2 or 3 oil changes ago & not too fun lol i kno wat u mean about posting only on interesting topics, im tryin to be less picky & just chime in here & there & be a lil more active like i used to. but ive talked to u numerous times considering track times & performance, ur suggestions are appreciated its more then what i could think of... on a side note i think this convo would turn pretty interesting a couple more beers later lol too bad ur not in cali or 1st round would be on me lol

wade001

lol, yah, I remember talking about racing with you. so far I've only gone once and it was a fresh track=slow times. still managed a pretty good 1/8th (in my sig till a better one). I'm OCD when it comes to racing, idk why but it's a lot of fun for me. Unfortunately since I got home I haven't been able to do it cuz im freaking busy with working. guess I'll have to wait till my break from work or till I go back to school. But I will bring my times down, I guaranty it lol! note about oiling the filters, even if the problem doesnt happen right after you do that it could still mean oil got to it over time. I recommend putting the stock intake back on to be safe and take it back to the dealer.

h2v7
Car: 240sx s13

bump

changed out mafs and still cant rev past 3k

it will work fine for a while then just wont rev past 3k

turn car off and back on and its ok for a few min then wont go past 3k again...

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

^ For an Altima or for the S13 that is listed on your profile?

ItsEcko06

I've actually been having problems with my altima too but it sounds like you could have intake problems as well.
if its the tranny just take it to the deal to have them diagnose it. if its the cvt they got you covered
mine would drive fine for a while then it would get very sluggish and almost no throttle response.
let it sit for a while and its fine but after a little while it goes back to being sluggish.
i pulled a P0745 [pressure control solenoid] error code from the ecu
turns out its a bad a valve in the tranny so nissan scoped it out and its under warranty so no worries.

hectorhernandez
Car: 09 Altima Coupe 2.5s CVT
Precision Grey
Location: NorCal Bay Area & SoCal SanFernandoValley Area (L.A.)

:werd:

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”