My Build Thread - Boost or Bust

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Lonismos14
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx, 1999 Chevy Hoe, 1996 Saturn Sl2

(Hanks Voice) I sell propane and propane accessories for a living. Dammit BOBBY come here.

Coming daaadd.

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

^ i thought i was the only one that had hank hill come to mind with all this propane talk.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Subscribed.

DroptopDrifting
Car: 94 240sx limited edition se convertible

propane injection, sounds neat. i've kind of faded from the scene for a while, but seeing this on facebook just sucked me back in. never thought to try this, and you're right, now that you pointed it out idk why more people don't attempt this. anyway, congrats on gettin back to it, you've just inspired me to as well

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

Awesome project man. Can't wait to see it come together.

MaximA32

AZhitman wrote:
Dude.

You must not know Brian.

[Boston accent]"NOBODY TOUCHEZ MY BEEEE-AH. NOBODY." [/boston accent] (...and then you get punched in the nads.)

Good stuff, Homey. Dylan's a badass just like his Pops. We miss you guys.
You forgot to add. [Boston accent]KAAAWEEE-AH[/Boston accent] in there somewhere..

eds13
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, 07 Armada LE, 06 M35x, 97 C35 Laurel, 94 JDM Q45

This is gonna be gayer than Bryans happy time....

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Go stretch some tires and STFU

eds13
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, 07 Armada LE, 06 M35x, 97 C35 Laurel, 94 JDM Q45

OK! Tehe

WDRacing

Been awhile since I posted an update. The car is 99% done. I broke a couple plastic interior pieces that I have swap out and the inside of the crap is still full of tools and things it's accumulated over the last 4 years.

It's getting registered this week, then I have to drive it to the hobby shop on base, drop the tranny and swap out the throw out bearing. I was going to do it in the driveway, but I'm afraid it would end up sitting broke again if I lost motivation. So I'll get her running 100% then drive it to the hobby shop and enjoy using a lift and tranny jack Plus...I haven't really looked at the under side of the car well in 4 years. I'm kinda nervous

BUT...since all of that isn't really an update that's worth posting about. Today I'm going to take apart the supercharger and start porting and polishing I'll take pics of the entire disassembly and lots of before / after shots of the porting. Fortunately I'm not even close to pioneering this idea so I've been able to read lots of articles and whatnot. I'll try to explain why I'm doing things as I do them, that way I'm not just rewriting someone else s article.

I should have the first batch of pics loaded around noon time. My wife is gonna be upset, I decided to use the kitchen counter for the P&P . I need good lighting in my work space...for the pics. Not because I'm lazy and the kitchen has chairs

WD

ss82480
Car: 1992 240sx Coupe

Just curious but are you going to run a 3" inlet pipe with a bigger TB?

WDRacing

The stock TB will easily support 400whp. I'll be way under that Any additional power I make will be from nitrous...which doesn't care how big the TB is

The intercooler piping will probably be 2.5" to minimize the volume the charger has to fill before I start building boost. The FMIC is also a smaller unit, plenty big for my goals though.

WD

WDRacing

Ok, I got the Charger all apart and cleaned up. I'm about to start porting now so I won't have pics loaded until tonight.

WD

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

Let me be the first to post before pictures go up. A hint of what is going on is in the sig... Oh yes... He went there...

WDRacing

Well I did manage to get the charger all cleaned up and ported out. Sorry the update took so long, life happens.

Remove this screw and hold it upside down until all the nasty gear oil is out. You'll never get it all out, so keep that in mind when you crack the case. Gear oil is nasty and it stinks. Don't get it on anything you don't mind throwing away.

Remove all the bolts.

If you have to use a mallet or something to tap the nose of the charger, make sure you put something to absorb the blow. Or else you'll damage the charger. I used a old T-shirt.

Give it a slight tap and pull the "snout" off, watch out for the oil that is left inside.

This is what is inside. You can see from the next three pics how the snout attaches to the gears and drives the screws. It only goes together one way, it's extremely simple. The 3 prongs on the gear line up with the 3 holes in the snout. Nothing to time, just line those dudes up and put it together.

The screws just slide out after the snout is removed. You may have to tap here and there or pry with a screwdriver. Just be very careful not to damage the aluminum.

The end of the screws sit inside the two holes at the back of the case. The holes have needle bearings inside that must be lubed before re-installation. I'll cover the type of grease and lube when I assemble the charger.

On with the porting I colored in the area I wanted to port with a sharpy. The idea behind porting is that it makes a tad less boost, but it drops the output temps quite a bit. The breather holes you see on the sides of the "V" are only there to make the charger run quieter. We don't care about quite On a side note, as the rpm increases when you swap pulleys the tips of lobes can break the speed of sound. How cool is that

As you can see there is a lot of material to remove. So I attacked it with a high speed die grinder and some tungsten bits. Well the bits get clogged with aluminum and require constant cleaning and I didn't have 40 or 50 sandpaper bits so I opted for something a little different.

The good Old Milwaukee Sawzall

It would have taken hours to grind this much material away.

Once I got those big hunks out of the way I went at it with the die grinder. Again progress was slower then I would have liked. So I said f*** it and grabbed my jig saw. I simply cut a straight line from the corner where I used the Sawzall right up narrowest portion of the "V". Only took about 5 minutes per side. Then I used the grinder and a metal file to finish the shape and clean up the edges.

Here's the finished product.

In one of the next updates I'll be sealing those vent holes with a 2 part epoxy.

Dylan wrenched on my old T4 while I was working on the Charger.

WD

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

holy s***. that is some serious "porting" lol wow never have i seen anyone use a sawzall to port HAHA. good stuff.

hey i was read that your suspension is shot... i have some front springs and front struts that ill sell you for a good price : )the springs are either skunk 2 or rsr (i have to figure out which ones i want more lol) and the struts are stock but in good condition. no scored shaft and not leaking and still fully function able. if you dont want them ill just hang on to them. good work on the car by the way.

Razi
Car: Moo

Nice porting.

What's the fuel setup gonna look like?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

NICE!!!

eazye2000

Hey man, if you want to mail that case to me, I'll TIG up those holes for you. Don't want any sonic booms in there to rattle your epoxy. lol

WDRacing

Tig = GAY

I could mig them up, I just need some alum wire.

eazye2000

MIG on aluminum sucks. Look at this intake manifold I modified with my MIG. Granted it worked, it was for an N/A car. I just want your ish' to be right man.

motoman399

WDRacing wrote:Tig = NOT GAY

I could mig them up, but i would be dumb if i didnt take your offer.
FIXED

eazye2000

^ LoL I appreciate that.

Here's what my new machine does. This is the first bead I had laid in over 2 years with an A/C TIG.

motoman399

sweet what tig do you have?

WD, dont be foolish and epoxy those holes, have em tig'd the right way...

eazye2000

Miller Syncrowave. Not a whole bunch of doo-dads and options. Most are pre-set in the machine, or automatic. But it will blow a hole in something quick if you're not careful. lol

I've got an S14 intake mani coming this week. I'm going to get some scrap, and build it for FLOW. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

motoman399

make a thread on what you do with that intake, i have some plans also with one of my spare intakes, using my buddies tig. he has some brand new miller that stands like 4.5 feet tall. its freakin awesome!!

oh and you should try to tig the bottom of two soda cans together. if you can do it, then you know your good. i cant quite do it yet...

motoman399

WD, you been working on the car, or just drinking beer? lets get an update

WDRacing

motoman399 wrote:WD, you been working on the car, or just drinking beer? lets get an update
I've been doing both of the above :dblthumb: Major changes in the setup. The supercharger needs a rebuild and since I plan on spinning it way faster then the max rated rpm I'm certain that it would have only lasted a short while. I don't want to half-a** the setup because it doesn't justify the money and time setting up the mounts and pulley system will take. Making that decision took a lot of my motivation :frown: Thankfully Dylan is always asking to work on the car, he rocks - nuff said.

So I've been driving the car around NA for 2 weeks, it's nice to be driving her again. But NA = GAY in my book :whistle:

So I got a "new to me" exhaust wheel and shaft assembly for my TO4 and have been getting it pieced together. I did have a Garrett rebuild kit on hand from a previous project and I was able to use a newer cartridge from a different turbo. I just need to clean/shine the compressor housing and finish the assembly process. It's gonna be pretty damn laggy though, TO4E, 60 trim compressor, .81AR exhaust housing. I've had this turbo on here once before and it reached full boost by about 4800-5100 rpm. But I had 6-8 psi by 3200-3500 rpm. Large turbo's put out a small amount of boost fairly early and then "flash" spool and hit full boost extremely quick once the motor is flowing enough exhaust to get the exhaust wheel really moving. Think of it like spinning a fan with your hand as fast as you can, you can feel the air it's moving. But when you throw the switch it really moves the air. The flash spool is actually just like that IMO, you go from 8 psi or so to whatever your max boost is in about 1.5 seconds. I ran 20 psi previously with this turbo. It was like going from 200hp to over 350 right now :woot: You want to be going straight when the turbo spools up though or at least prepared to change directions with the quickness. I'll only be running 15 psi at most this time though :nono: I need her to hold together and I'm not rolling the dice again. Although the last failure didn't happen from making to much power, I lost the oil pump on the highway. That never ends well :facepalm:

The manifold is from the JGS DIY kit I bought 4 years ago. I had to cut off the T3 flange that was mounted on the top and weld a T4 flange on the side. The T4 won't fit under the hood if it's top mounted, so I had to go with the side mount. In the side position it damn near hits the strut tower. Not that I'm afraid of "moving" it back some with the old air hammer :yesnod

I'll have pics loaded today, sorry for the long wait :tisk: Everyone that comes to Omaha will get a free beer :fistpumping:

WD

motoman399

.81AR that is giant lol. and your running that plus 15 psi on a stock block? you should be making close to 350 right? sounds like your having fun. nice your boy is helping with motivation, and learning :bigthumb: you should just do a twin charge setup. go big or go home right lol. just make that mounting flange to put the SC under the intake. DO IT!! haha. well keep at it cant wait to see some video

too bad you live a million miles away. i would be so down for a free beer :fistpumping:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

WDRacing wrote:Everyone that comes to Omaha will get a free beer :fistpumping:

WD
Just to be 100% clear... this "free" beer... its coming from you? Or are you going to direct all free beer vouchers to Torry?

I recall you telling me to go get a hooker and send you the bill... and upon further discussion you said "I said SEND it to me... I'm not gonna pay it, but you can send it to me anyway"... :lolling:

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”