[PLEASE HELP] my 97 Q45 won't start.. from a car newb..

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
dr.styller

Hi all,I have been desparately looking for an answer to my problem but I have no idea what to look for mainly because I know NOTHING about cars.. (yeah maybe just tiny bit since I am still a guy.)

Anyway, I have 97 Q45t with 170,000 miles on it. One day I started the car and it didn't start (it worked just fine the day before).

To be more precise, the car "tries" to start as it makes that starting noise but the engine doesn't get started.. It seems to me that battery is working fine but something that delivers the power from the battery to engine is not working.. (that was my logic)

I really don't wanna spend hundreds of dollars with towing and repair costs since I will be using the car only for next 6 month or so...

So could anyone help me please?

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

Was the previous start a short run of just a few seconds? Cold weather? Could be flooded. Hold the gas pedal to the floor while continuously cranking the engine for 30-40 seconds to clear out the fuel and see if she starts.

If that doesn't work I'd be checking fuel pressure. The simpliest test is to disconnect a hose from the fuel filter outlet, put it into a jar and crank the engine to see if it flows. A more refined test would be to hook up a fuel pressure gage to the filter outlet hose and measure while driving. It should be in the 35-43 psi range.

dr.styller

goody90q45 wrote:Was the previous start a short run of just a few seconds? Cold weather? Could be flooded. Hold the gas pedal to the floor while continuously cranking the engine for 30-40 seconds to clear out the fuel and see if she starts.

If that doesn't work I'd be checking fuel pressure. The simpliest test is to disconnect a hose from the fuel filter outlet, put it into a jar and crank the engine to see if it flows. A more refined test would be to hook up a fuel pressure gage to the filter outlet hose and measure while driving. It should be in the 35-43 psi range.
Thanks for the reply!Where is the hose located??

dr.styller

goody90q45 wrote:Was the previous start a short run of just a few seconds? Cold weather? Could be flooded. Hold the gas pedal to the floor while continuously cranking the engine for 30-40 seconds to clear out the fuel and see if she starts.

And the previous start.. as long as I turned the ignition all the way, the starter (I'm not sure) runs but I just stopped it because I didn't wanna drain the battery.
Modified by dr.styller at 1:01 PM 11/21/2009

dr.styller

It totally worked!! I just tried holding onto the pedal for a while and engine started!i was so happy!I OWE you big time.I would so give you a big hug if you were right next to me. lol

Thanks again!!!!

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

dr.styller wrote:(since I am still a guy.)
Do you plan on changing sexes?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Paul Wall wrote:Do you plan on changing sexes?

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

dr.styller wrote:I would so give you a big hug if you were right next to me. lol...Thanks again!!!!
You can hold off on the hug. Even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

goody +1

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”