my 97 altima shakes and rumbles and hesitates.....

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
ctguitarguy

so heres the deal,im very very frustrated, this car has been an issue for me for a few years now and ive dropped tons of money into it. its not a pretty car at this point but its all i have.

it has progressively gotten worse over the years. im not mechanically inclined at all i cant even change my oil,on this kindof forum that may garner laughter but thats how it is,and im desperate for help. i don't have the money to keep dragging it to garages which have charged a mint and give me little to no,or incorrect answers.

im going to try to explain these symptoms the best i can but its gonna come off untechnical and vague but i dont know how else to describe what its doing.

my car has slowly started to "hesitate" worse as time has gone by even at very slow speeds. the front end of the car (so im guessing the engine) has steadily started to shake and rumble when i accelerate more and more over the years and its now at the point where it takes little to no effort to make this happen. it feels like it has to struggle to accelerate without jumping over 3k in rpms.

its very frustrating that i cant describe these things better. if i go light on the gas pedal trying to keep it from shaking then ill feel it sorta of...hesitate and like kind lurch or bump into the next gear its so bizzare.

ive had the mass air flow sensor replaced (as i got that error code) as well as new spark plugs and wires,tuneups,tranny fluid flush etc... i consistently get this knock sensor code no matter what and i do have the part but the cost to have it out in is so pricey i really am at an utter loss for what to do.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

better to ask for help than do more damage by guessing.might be time to find another shop if they are guessing too.

when was the last time fuel filter was changed with an OEM part?Measured fuel pressure would tell a lot.you have already replaced the distributor? again, nissan (reman'd) part only. many documented cases here.knock sensor is a lot of labor to replace. for that reason, again do not use any B+ parts including brown box 'OEM manufacturer'. Genuine nissan part only 22060-30p00.

contrary to popular belief, I do advocate occasional well-reasoned deviations from nissan parts, but certainly not for distributors or knock sensors. oh yeah, only NGK plugs too.

edmontonbuysell

Your distributor o ring failed. Oil is in the distributor. That happend to me last weekend. you can open it with 2 screws hold the cap and one on the roger to open the distributor. Oil ill come out. Clean it but do not use anyting can leave residu on the metal plate. I used compresssed , duster for camera lense to blow off the oil. It worked fine now. I used tissue to clean first and engine chaked badely because tissue left redisue on the plateGood luck

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

you replaced the internal bushing? i applaud your resourcefulness as a stop gap, but unless the oil is prevented from migrating back into distributor you will be doing this again.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”