My 96' Nissan Altima GXE

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
allan
Car: 1996 Nissan Altima GXE

Hi, i have a 1996 Nissan Altima GXE. I'v owned the car sinece last sept. and ever since i bought it the thing has been a total lemon. There is somthing wrong with this car and i just can't figure it out. My exhaust was rotted so we pretty much redid it, so i could get an etest, and at the same time we fixed my gas net, because it was leaking alot, and we put a new fuel filter in, and after we did that it started to run pretty good. But recently its been running like crap again, just this week i put in; new air filter, another new fuel filter, distributer rotor, distributer cap, spark plug wires, oil change, new valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket (i had an oil leak), but none of this seems to be doing anything. I also put new spark plugs in in dec. What happens is the car seems to be strougling to accelerate or rev at high rpms. for example, when im in neutral i can't redline it, it will only go up to about 400rpm then strouggle, and when im in the first gear or second gear it takes awile to get to a higher rpm. And if i leave it in drive and i step on the gas to accelerate or go up a hill, it will drop down a gear like its supposed to, but it will deccelerate, and the rpms will slowly go down, i just cant figure out the problem and i dont wanna dump anymore money into this thing if its not gonna do anything. Does anybody have any ides or suggestions??

toxik
Car: 09 Pearl White 370z

Unless your altima only has 2 door, I'm pretty sure this is the wrong section.

ItsEcko06

toxik wrote:Unless your altima only has 2 door, I'm pretty sure this is the wrong section.
+1

Beak
Car: 08 Coupe VQ

sounds like its time to get rid of it...

headhunt3r
Car: Altima Coupe 2.5S w/ CVT

It may be in the wrong section, but damn that's pretty harsh.

Maybe this is similar to your problem?

http://forums.altimas.org/zero...hills

JAFO
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, 3.5 SE, Dark Slate

It is a 14 year old car. You may want to take that into consideration.

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

Sorry about your troubles bro but I'm moving this to the Alti 1st gen section..

Hope you get it resolved man..

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

allan wrote:Hi, i have a 1996 Nissan Altima GXE. I'v owned the car sinece last sept. and ever since i bought it the thing has been a total lemon. There is somthing wrong with this car and i just can't figure it out. My exhaust was rotted so we pretty much redid it, so i could get an etest, and at the same time we fixed my gas net, because it was leaking alot, and we put a new fuel filter in, and after we did that it started to run pretty good. But recently its been running like crap again, just this week i put in; new air filter, another new fuel filter, distributer rotor, distributer cap, spark plug wires, oil change, new valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket (i had an oil leak), but none of this seems to be doing anything. I also put new spark plugs in in dec. What happens is the car seems to be strougling to accelerate or rev at high rpms. for example, when im in neutral i can't redline it, it will only go up to about 400rpm then strouggle, and when im in the first gear or second gear it takes awile to get to a higher rpm. And if i leave it in drive and i step on the gas to accelerate or go up a hill, it will drop down a gear like its supposed to, but it will deccelerate, and the rpms will slowly go down, i just cant figure out the problem and i dont wanna dump anymore money into this thing if its not gonna do anything. Does anybody have any ides or suggestions??
well, now that you are in the right section, perhaps we can help you.i read thaty you've done a lot of work, but no mention of replacing the distributor (yep, the whole damn thing). every 1st gen alty has this problem. search the old posts in this forum, quite a few threads. you need to look under the dust plate which is under the rotor.start there, and we'll move on to other things if that is not the problem.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”