My 90 RB26DETT swapped Z32 (pics)

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
ZFreak

I've been a long time lurker on this forum for awhile (10 years) and have had several people ask me to post the pics of my Z here, so without further ado:

I bought this Z in 2006 as "TT conversion + 5 speed conversion" in progress. The car was originally a Non-Turbo Automatic with 8 previous owners. It's seen a lot of love. When I bought the car the TT conversion was pretty much complete (built engine, bigger turbos, etc). My biggest gripe with the Z32 was always the accessibility of doing anything under the hood. I finished the TT conversion and had all of the exterior body work finished from 2006-2007. From that point, the car pretty much saw road race miles and also time as a garage queen. I was exploring "unique" options and I began researching more and more about the RB26 engine and found RBZ32.com as a good resource that helped me complete the conversion. I spent about 3 years with the conversion and did the majority of the work myself (the piping fabrication and some of the wiring I had a shop do for me).

In the end I am very happy with the conversion, but had I been given the chance do to it all over again, I probably would have just kept the VG30DETT and added a little more power. The VG30DETT made 585RWHP/505FTLB. The RB26 (stock internals for the most part) made 636rwhp/504ftlb, but the power delivery is completely different.

I recently added Magnesium Volk TE37's (not "mag blue", but the real deal "the stuff of myths and legends" Magnesium TE37's... I guarantee you'll never see another set in person. They are VERY rare, and very few sets even exist (they were about $2000/wheel when new, just to give you an idea).

Vids:
30-140mph run, pump gas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7VEN41YOOQ&feature=plcp

Microphone in engine bay, messing around...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nio5fl-5 ... el&list=UL

UPDATE 08-03-2012... new video of messing with a new mic for the go-pro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-j4bvFH ... e=youtu.be

Pics:
The new wheels...

Last edited by ZFreak on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canadian booster
Car: 1993 z32TT JDM

look at all the room under there! hahaha :)
i've heard a few horror stories about RB swaps, didn't know the RB26 was that big either until i saw one in person a couple months ago in an S14 (600hp to the wheels) thing was intense

looks like you really took care and made a decent shot at it, and i think it shows, i'm still a fan of the vg30dett over the rb26 but hey, we can all get along, and you did a bang up job :bigthumb:

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Thats an absolutely beautiful conversion.

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

<3

XX7R
Car: 1990 300ZX TT

Well then.. You just put my hopes and dreams of my z to shame hahah. Amazing zx though!

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

I've seen nicer.

Wait what's that?

Oh, this just in; no, I haven't :chuckle:

Beautiful car Scott

nissanfreak12
Car: 92 300zx 2+2 TT

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:I've seen nicer.

Wait what's that?

Oh, this just in; no, I haven't :chuckle:

Beautiful car Scott
HAHA!! I first glanced and thought it said, "I've seen RICER"

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Holy crap, if it wasn't for the late model wing you own my dream Z.
Very, VERY beautiful and well-done Z sir, congrats and thanks for sharing!

ZFreak

Thanks guys! The sole reason that I went with the 94+ spoiler is that a new 90-93 OEM one is NLA from Nissan. I don't like the aftermarket ones (or their fitment), so I went with the 94+.

DanDrath
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx 2+2 Twin Turbo

Amazing swap, the car looks and sounds so nice!

vulcanrush
Car: 93 300zx n/a to tt

Scott, awesome stuff.
ZFreak wrote:
In the end I am very happy with the conversion, but had I been given the chance do to it all over again, I probably would have just kept the VG30DETT and added a little more power. The VG30DETT made 585RWHP/505FTLB. The RB26 (stock internals for the most part) made 636rwhp/504ftlb, but the power delivery is completely different.
not only do i respect your automotive skills, but also how honest and pragmatic you are, too many kids think a rb swap is easy and/or cheap, that they sell diy kits at your local pep boys, etc.
also, if i had a dime for every kid that thinks rb's are SUPERIOR to vg's....i'm not saying they're not necessarily better, but there are pros and cons for each engine.

ZFreak

Oh it's FAR from cheap. I spent about a year doing my homework (starting in 2006'ish) and then the swap took almost 3 years. I didn't want to go into any type of debt to do it, so I only purchased parts as the funds (and wife) allowed. We built a new house during all of this too (moved in March 2012!) so it was quite the ordeal. I'm glad it's back running again though!

SarahLovesHer300zx
Car: 1989 JDM z32TT 2+2, 2012 R1, 2007 Xterra Off Road 6mt

Wow! Love this car and that engine!! I got to ride/drive an RB26 R32 GT-R the past 3 weeks in Japan and have seriously considered putting that motor in my z.

:bigthumb: She's beautiful man!

kowboydmac
Car: 1990 Z32 NA Auto

I'm not exactly sure why, but these threads always make me want to pursue a career and get out of a mundane lifestyle lol

Swapping an RB26 into a Z32 and building a house in 3 years is something I can only dream of, yet you have it established as a reality. I applaud you for not going into debt for your project!

ZFreak

Thanks! I have my wife to thank for the "not going into debt" part of this... That is - if it weren't for her, I'd probably have a mountain of credit card debt to pay all of this off, but have been finished in 6 months or so. (I don't own a credit card, nor does she, so that helps too).

kowboydmac
Car: 1990 Z32 NA Auto

ZFreak wrote:Thanks! I have my wife to thank for the "not going into debt" part of this... That is - if it weren't for her, I'd probably have a mountain of credit card debt to pay all of this off, but have been finished in 6 months or so. (I don't own a credit card, nor does she, so that helps too).
Looks like you found yourself a keeper :bigthumb:

StockTurbosFTW
Car: 95 300ZX TT
99 Infiniti G20
03 Kia Sedona

Wow that is sexy. It looks like the car has a bit of get up and go...
Congrats on the house. We just bought a house also but I think your wife is a little more understanding than mine. We don't have any debt (other than the house) but for some reason we don't have enough money for me to do the 120k mile kit...But she did just spend over grand on furniture we didn't need...women...

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

I love it!

ZFreak

I've had a lot of people ask me about some of the process of this swap, so here it goes..

I started with a hand-picked R33 RB26 engine (verfied by serial number out of a 1997 R33 GT-R (white in color of all things..) from JDMEnginescorp.com that I bought around 2009.
Single Chamber P/S pump = R33 engine (not always the case)

Started tearing it down to inspect everything. No bearing damage, no signs of detonation, etc. It was 100% bone stock. (I got excited and started to put a pully on LOL)

Had everything cleaned/milled/etc.

Started swapping bell housings from the GT-R AWD transmission to the Z32's transmission.

Steel RB26 OEM flywheel (with the power level I'm running, wasn't going to risk warping an aluminum one), and RPS Z32 N/A 6 puck clutch (650ft-lb holding)

Front subframe/crossmember was notched and reinforced for oil pan clearing.

Chromoly custom-made front sway bar.

Building things back up (new R34 valve covers on it too) - I have a full-race manifold that's going on this fall...

New toys, $$$ oil pump, etc...

Front diff sawed off, holes TIG welded closed, and bottom of oil pan "fins" shaved. The RB26 block has bolt holes for the RB26 cast aluminum pan AND the RB25 stamped steel pan. The RB25 pan ALWAYS will leak... it is next to impossible, plus you lose oil capacity. RB26 oil pan was for me!

R33 PowerFC D-Jetro w/map sensors and harnesses (not cheap!)

Have to cut the radiator crossmember to put the engine in - in one piece because the transmission mounted to the mount will determine where the motor mounts will be welded to the framerail.

Testing hood and FMIC fitment...

More new goodies...

Had a shop work on fabrication of the manifold (modifying it) to clear the steering column. (this won't matter later when my Full-race manifold goes on)..

Progress...

More goodies... (this isn't installed yet) Also wasn't cheap!!

Running, tuned, and good to go for now... The exhaust is temporary for now... getting a full 4" (that fits correctly) when my manifold goes on.

How it sits as of a few weeks ago... (going to take some better pics this weekend)

Where my Z started out....

Before the RB swap

bartZ32tt
Car: 1990 300zx twin turbo, 1996 7.3 powerstroke

What a well planned, well executed build. Your z will forever be one of my favorites; not because of the rb but because of the level of craftsmanship and attention to detail. Well done.

ZFreak

Updated vid... messing with a new mic for the gopro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-j4bvFH ... e=youtu.be

BigTDogg (MA)

You sold the AVS right Scott? Any progress on the dual exhaust? You had planned to do a Y pipe to duals IIRC.

IonZ32
Car: 1990 300zx TT
1992 300zx
1964 Malibu

Your videos never get old. I think I watch them at least 4-5 times a day! Awesome swap, awesome car, just perfect!
What kind of exhaust was on the Z in that last picture when it had the quad tips?

BigTDogg (MA)

Dunno if Scott will be replying anytime soon, so I hope he doesn't mind that I'll answer for him

That's a B&B quad round exhaust. 2.5" I believe.

ZFreak

Yeah, the VG30DETT I had B&B 2.5" quad. I sold it to a tt.net member in Sachse, TX (D/FW area).

Yes, AVS wheels went to their new owner in New Jersey on Monday (yesterday).

ZFreak

As for the RB with exhaust - I'm planning on purchasing the 3" B&B exhaust (basically same setup as before, but 2.5") and have a 4" turbo back (to a y-pipe), onto the 3" B&B. I have to take care of a few other things before I address the exhaust, but probably this winter it'll happen.

bartZ32tt
Car: 1990 300zx twin turbo, 1996 7.3 powerstroke

excellent choice. I think the Z32 needs a dual exhaust; I don't like the asymmetrical look of a single exhaust. B&B quad oval is my favorite looking exhaust on a Z but the quad round isn't bad either.

ZFreak

A different exhaust is definitely in the cards....

More recent pics:

(hood holes were photoshopped shut to see what it would look like)

ZFreak

Think you guys could help me out in this contest? Trying to get the most likes to win a t-shirt, digital subscription, etc. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... nt_count=1 Like the photo of my Z. Thanks!

DTRUONG9
Car: 1990 300zx tt

speechless.........one of the cleanest rb swaps that i have seen. After reading your post i am glad i stuck with the vgtt rebuild.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”