My '71 Datsun 521

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
datsunexcells

I've owned my truck for over 2 years, 1 1/2  of those disassembled in my garage. I bought it on eBay, and when I picked it up in Southern Indiana, it had 60K actual miles on it. It has parts from my first two trucks in my restoration. John

odpl_beebani

Very nice truck, welcome!

71-521

yes, Welcome!
nice looking truck you have there....
more pictures....please...
what mods have you done to it so far?

datsunexcells

Paul, I've got a front view pic under "posting pictures" in this Photo Album.; I'll post a couple more. I've done sheet metal grafting, fabricating, patching with Aluminum screen and J-B Weld, and in the case of the turn signal panel, fiberglass, but no Bondo. The truck spent 12 years in a dirt-floored shed. Replaced; rocker panels (new from 2nd truck), heater assembly (1st truck), tailgate (new from 1st truck- never installed), Shelby 500 wheels (2nd truck), and headlight trim rings (2nd truck). Repaired; fenders- front mounting flanges, top & rollover above headlights, and bottom rear corners (aluminum screen and J-B Weld), front cab mounts and last 8" of backing sheet metal, and headlight and fender mounting panel, upper left & right quadrants (weld in new sheet metal), turn signal mounting panel (remove, fiberglass, and weld back in position). Everything fromthe cab forward has been coated with POR-15.  Changes; exhaust header (intake & exhaust ground to match gaskets), 2 1/2" exhaust pipe to single inlet/dual outlet muffler, with 2" exhaust pipes that dump in back of the rear wheels, air cleaner assembly sides were vented and K&N air Filter installed; 2001 Honda CRX-Si buckets with 2"square tube floor mounts, JC Whitney carpetting, and a custom tonneau cover. Engine and oil pan cleaned and painted yellow (POR engine paint), new gaskets & seals in engine and trans,and a new clutch and pressure plate. Datsun 620 roof pillar antenna mounted,  6X8 stainless steel low-mount mirrors installed, and fog lights mounted under bumper, using existing bumper bolts. The box is the original paint, but the color of the cab, etc. matches the interior paint. The box comes off this winter to be sandblasted underneath, as well as the frame & gas tank. I've got parts to do the dual reservoir brake system, but haven't installed them yet.  John

71-521

John:
thought that was you but wasn't sure...
you can edit your location under your account options..
your truck is still the nicest I've seen to date...
Paul

datsunexcells

All exterior lights were disassembled, cleaned and polished; rubber parts were cleaned with Bleche Wite, whitewall cleaner, and treated with Armorall. Bumperettes were rechromed. John

datsunexcells

Front view. John

datsunexcells

This picture was taken before seats were anchored, and door panels installed. The truck has a pristine dash cap. SunPro guages and tach came with the truck, along with the CD player. John

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”