My 5th drain & fill for my cvt transmission.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

So i just completed my 5th drain & fill because my 10 year warranty ends this month.

Its been a little under 15,000 miles since the last time i changed it exactly 2 years ago.

Back then I drained and filled my transmission 4 times in a 2 month period back in 2017 during the months of july and august. As i tried to get as much new fluid into my system.

I even change my differential & transfer fluid which was fairly new with around 10,000 miles on it since i wanted a top synthetic instead of using conventional.

Did that part nearly a year ago to help me sleep better at night.

I know i am on borrowed time since this is the ORIGINAL cvt.

I hope I get at least another 60,000 miles.

Most cars we owned usually last a decade so here`s hoping!

The rogue runs very smooth still and no more hestitation when pressing on the gas pedal or the rubberband effect.

Moreover, I have never had my cvt dipstick in the lock position, i just twist 180 degrees so i can check on my transmission fluid whenever i want easily because unlocking it can be pain in the butt. Never had problems with it and my nissan gets serviced all the time.

Honestly, i really never checked much if any the past 2 years anyways.

I was really late to the game with the cvt drain & filling idea with around 75,000 in mileage.

Thank god it's so easy on the first generation with included cvt dipstick.

Which is better late than never. I have around 90,000 miles at present.

Changing these fluids made a world of difference.

If we kept the nissan view of the transmission fluid was a lifetime fluid as they said back a decade ago.

My rogue would be driving really crappy and I would probably think it was normal.

Unfortunately, there was no internet help back then when i had my 1990 nissan maxima growing up. Which went to crap after only 100,000 miles.

Now that my nissan rogue is reaching the same age as my maxima.

Hopefully, it`s a different story this time and this vehicle lasts longer. :spitout:

HoosRogue
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

Hey casperfun.. I just posted a problem with my daughter's 2014 Rogue S.. It's having acceleration problems at high speeds. Did the Drain and fill solve a similar problem? She has 65K and I don't think it's ever been drained and refilled

How difficult of a DIY is the drain and fill?

How did you know you needed to perform this?

Sorry for the questions but I don't want to get taken by Nissan
'
Thanks

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Read your problem earlier.

I have the first generation, so I didn't want to give wrong advice.

My hesitation problem was from a stand still, shuddering so bad it gave me mini whiplash.

Also had the dreaded rumble strip sensation.

My fluid changes cured all this.

In the beginning, I was clueless on the transmission, but this forum helped guide me and you tube videos were very helpful.

I knew i needed to perform this because of all the complaints of the cvt failing and always need replacing by other customers.

Actually, i was hoping my cvt failed so i could get a new one and start over.

Hence it was not to be, so i spent nearly $400 on nissan cvt fluid by utilizing over 25 quarts in drain & fills, hoping I don't need to spend $4,000 on a new transmission.

Definitely do a drain & fill.

I mostly drive on level roads 99% of the time.

But hilly roads, may overheat your engine.

I would suggest a transmission cooler, and make sure you get a beehive with the 4 ports.

Everything you need to know is in this forum, you just need to find it.

You're best bet is searching youtube, easier too follow visually instead of searching through hundreds of posts.

Good luck sir!

HoosRogue
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

Thanks Casper.. I'll try that and see if it helps with the problem!

Return to “Rogue Forum”