my 521 wont start

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
odpl_Zack

My lights and radio work but for some reason nothing happens when I turn the key.  Do I need to get a new wiring harness? Or can somebody help me understand what is wrong?

mklotz70

I'm pretty sure there's a couple other "won't start" threads on here.  I'm pretty sure we've done a pretty indepth one with in the last 3-4 months.  You'll at least need a test light.

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

Zack, wiring harness replacement is for when you have an electical melt-down to the point that wires have melted. Check through the treads as Mike said and see if you can find out what is going on. Condensor, bad key switch, coil, fused points, bad ground even a low battery; all possible culprets. Ken

mklotz70

We need more details anyway.....

Does it click when you try to start it?

Was it working then quit or did you acquire the rig with it not working?

Put it in neutral.  Momentarily short a screwdriver between the small lead on the starter and the big lead.  If it starts to crank, quit, the prob is the ign sw ....maybe a clutch switch if yours had one.  If it doesn't crank, prob is the starter.

Are the battery cables hooked up to the starter and motor block?

If it's the switch...wiggle the wires on the back of it while holding it over in the start position. 

odpl_Zack

thanks a lot guys this really helps. Yes i did get the pickup not working. i was also wondering if my fusealbe link was burnt out.  But anyways i will try the starter thing. again thanks for the help.

odpl_Zack

ok i just went out and put a screwdriver between the the two starter terminals and it did crank. so then that shud mean i need a new ignition switch. does anyone happen to kno how much that is going cost me?

IMH

Which fusible link?  Check it for continuity.  If that's the one between the ignition and the starter, that could be your problem.  What year 521, engine etc. are we talking about?

IMH

Maybe this will help.  Hope it's clear enough;

[img]http://i29.tinypic.com/a27z84.jpg[/img]

IMH

I don't know how much it helps because so many parts are no longer available from Nissan but the OEM part number for the ignition switch is 25150-B2000 if you have a PL521 (L16 engine).  Not really sure if you can conclude that the ignition switch is bad, however, by having it crank when you put a screwdriver on the starter.  There are other things in the wiring diagram that are between the switch and the starter.

odpl_Zack

its a 71 521 with the pl521 L16 motor. Recently today i was looking around on it and there are some wires tht plug onto the ignition, i removed that and put it back on and now it works good. I can turn the key and the motor cranks. You guys where a huge help thanks so much.

mklotz70

Glad you got it running.

You can go to www.olddat.com and download the factory manuals from the Tech page.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”