My AWD RB26 S13 Coupe Project

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
bllabong89
Car: 1995 s14

^^^^exactly what I was thinking. bastard....jk. lol. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? You mentioned being relocated, are you in the military? I have been thinking of joining the military so I can afford to have s*** like this so that is why I am curious.

This looks great though. Hopefully you keep the updates rolling in.

ps. I want your motor(like everyone else viewing this thread)

Tofubadguy
Car: 94' R32 GTR, Track Car
90' Silvia, w/ RB25, Track Car
90' 240 AWD LHD Coupe, RB26, in the works
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

bllabong89 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? You mentioned being relocated

ps. I want your motor(like everyone else viewing this thread)
I'm a journeyman mechanic at the "Nations Largest Nuclear Power Plant"... lol. So, just a knuckle dragging wrench turner really. :)

I assume you mean the RB and not the KA right? I sold the KA and tranny on Craigslist just days after I took it out for $450 to a guy doing a really cool slammed early nineties Hard Body project. The whole R32 front clip was only $3900 from Tiger Japanese six months ago... 60psi oil press and compression in the 160's. :)

I got lucky with it too! It had Tien coilovers and a Greddy/Exedy/Nismo twin disc clutch set up. The best I can figure was the motor had been gone through not long before the car was cut up. Either that or it was out of a much lower mile car that had work done to it. The odometer read 135k, but the bearings and crank show nearly zero wear, the cams have no scuffing or scratches, the front timing stuff as well as the oil pump look/seem new, there is no varnish or built up oil residue anywhere in the head or that I found in the bottom of the pan, etc... I'm still putting my new oil pump as well as front timing stuff & water pump on anyhow.
The only thing uglyish about it was the typical paint flaking off the intake. If this thing had 135k... it's a miracle motor! lol :)

My plan for it for now is to either weld on my crank collar for better oil pump engagement or swap the crank with an R33 a buddy of mine has, go with 272's at 9.5 so I don't have to machine the head, put my extra 2860-5's on it, my 870 injectors, a used Greddy intercooler my buddy has, a Power FC, build a nice 3" custom exhaust and I'll be done. Add boost & Whaalaa.... 425 to 450 reliable as hell horsepower. :)

Russell

edited for description correction...
Last edited by Tofubadguy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tofubadguy
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

Well it's unfortunately been fairly slow going on the project. I have managed to put in some time on it, just not as much as I would have liked...

Between moving to a new place this last month and looking for the place the two previous months, combined with some time spent on the GTR for the up coming NASA race... well, not much done to the 240. :(

Anyhow, time to post up a few of the pics I took the last go at it. Sorry the pics aren't of great quality either. All I had was my phone because the digi camera's batteries were kaput.
The above pictures show the passenger side trans cross member mount location. I made it just like the GTR was with the heavy hex metric nuts welded to the top side of the plate before it became a box around the frame rail. The previous posts show it's build I believe...

Above is a few views of the trans cross member mount zig-zag piece under the drivers side (American driver's side that is).
Above is a few more of the GTR towers. I'm not done with them in the least, I just hit the weld and grind areas with a rattle can so they wouldn't have surface rust to deal with later... We've had a bit of rain here in the Phoenix area lately & it's pretty nice really! :)

I like that I got to save and use the GTR tower to firewall gusset/strap too. All I had to do was cut an inch of length out of it and stitch it back together.

Lastly we have some pics I took of the rear drop horn for the engine cross member that is finally welded out
& the clearanced frame rails to give some relief to the axles.
I used 3/8 wall 4" dia pipe for the material. The right frame rail relief is 1/2" shallower than the left due to the proximity of the pivot at the diff. Axle travel/swing is going to be much less on the right side. This should allow me to lower the car a bit further than would otherwise be an option. I added a 1/4" strap to the top of the frame rail as well as a 1/4" perpendicular to it which nests all the way up to were the bottom of the GTR tower begins. This made a nice heavy duty angle which will make up far any lost strength with the axle relief. This of course isn't even accounting for all the strength you get when the GTR cross member spans the distance and becomes part of the frame too. :)

Most of this was done with the big migger for burn in heat & penetration. You may see some undercut and low spots in the weld areas for now... but I'm going to go back over everything with the little mig with .020 wire & fill all of that, & then regrind everything smooth. My goal is for it to be really strong, which it is already, but for it to be smooth and clean, without having to use all the silly putty Nisan used to fill the ugly seems from the factory. ;)

That's pretty much it for now. Next up, is the transfercase passenger floorboard sheet metal. I have a piece rough cut but still need to fit it and get it tacked in.
Last edited by Tofubadguy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CJH
Car: S13

Wow, That is alot of nice work. Alot of nice Fab work. Cant wait to see this thing done. What are your plans for the R32 front end? (Fenders, bumber, headlights....)

Tofubadguy
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

CJH wrote:Wow, That is alot of nice work. Alot of nice Fab work. Cant wait to see this thing done. What are your plans for the R32 front end? (Fenders, bumber, headlights....)
Thanks! Hmmm, the left over parts will be saved. The stripped floorpan & firewall structure willmost likely get parked out back on the North 40 or whatever, but anything & everything that will unbolt and can be stored I'll keep for this thing...

Before the K-sports and Rota's
After...

Never know what you'll need till you need it. :)

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Very nice. I cant wait to see the s13 come together more.

King Ranzo
Car: 15 Ford Focus ST

This build looks interesting. I'll keep tabs on it.

Tofubadguy
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

King Ranzo wrote:This build looks interesting. I'll keep tabs on it.

Gir FTW! :)

venom90s
Car: 91 240sx
70 ford maverick

your build is awesome :bigthumb:
it nice see somebody else from AZ

nissans13240sx
Car: 90 R32 GTR
91 Hatch SR20
93 Coupe KA-T
04 STI

How do you like those ksport brakes on your 32? I was looking at their kit awhile back for mine. Awesome build you got going keep up the good work.

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

looks cool. nice fab work.

also that track r32 is sexy :)

Bumnah
Car: 1992 240SX, black. Bone stock.

Awesome stuff on the strut towers.

Tofubadguy
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

nissans13240sx wrote:How do you like those ksport brakes on your 32? I was looking at their kit awhile back for mine. Awesome build you got going keep up the good work.
Thanks for the compliments again guys...
The K-Sport brakes are very nice! I can come up to a turn much faster than before, and I know the brakes will be there.

I probably mainly just needed some high temp brake fluid with the stock brakes before and that would have helped bunches towards the end of eack stint on the track, but I figured might as well get what I expect to get anyway someday.

No fade, no slight pulsing, etc... With the Wilwood 600 fluid & the K-Sports... I have twice the brakes now, easy.

MattS13.5
Car: Silvia S13.5
Infinity FX

Geez that's a lot of work... you must have a screw loose!
louvers eh?
Keep up the good work! :mike

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

Holy sex balls! Nice project can't wait to see it done.

supersayianjim
Car: 89 240sx(s13)

wow you are the f*** man
a-you are going to have a very valuable car on youre hands when youre done(the only one in the country)

b- i have to differ with you on the 33's design. i think it was the best looking one so far(sans the r35)

-i also have a r32 engine in my 240 but its the gts 20. but none the less a rb.

-iam sure you have a hookup for getting this inspected.

Tofubadguy
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

MattS13.5 wrote:Geez that's a lot of work... you must have a screw loose!
louvers eh?
Keep up the good work! :mike
Eh? :chuckle:

Yo-jAn
Car: RHD S13

sick build cant wait to see this done dude

fame_s13
Car: 1997 S14 KOUKI
2008 SCION tC

^x 2 looking sweet..can't wait for the progress!

Tofubadguy
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

So, I got my floorboard piece fabbed and welded in finally...

The new shape is super solid and really strong. I still have to take the grinder with a tigerpaw to it and smooth the seems out but that will only take a few minutes this weekend. :)
Last edited by Tofubadguy on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyline_BNR34
Car: 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

I envy you man. You have an R32 GT-R already.

Also amazing swap, you're doing it perfectly also.

The only thing I didn't like was a R32 GT-R had to be wrecked for that clip to come to you, I doubt it was from a perfectly fine car before it got cut up, probably a nasty side impact or rear end collision.

Tofubadguy
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:probably a nasty side impact or rear end collision.
I think it was something like that. On both sides of the clip at the cut line, the frame rails were folded inward, wrapped over the brake and fuel lines and pinching them to the floorboard. The tranny hump was a little squished narrow and humped up in the center a bit. Either crashed or treated really poorly by a forklift. I'd guess the first.

omgshawn
Car: S13, EG hatch

More updates on the car! I love this thread can't wait to see this thing done

OM3GA
Car: A Sexy Mobile, 1993 Nissan 240sx 180sx Hatcher

dude that's sweet

mrgreeneyes
Car: ///M5
Parted Out Built S13 Coupe

HOLY F*CK. someone legitimately MAKING an AWD R/S mashup. not just some 13 year old drift-king-fanboy....

I LOVE the fabrication work, mindblowingly clean and i love how you talk about your work on it like its nothing. that kind of confidence is a prerequisite for this type of project. just the "we will do it" attitude, not "ah, another roadblock, WAAAAHH" deal.

kudos. carry on. i dont even own a 240 anymore (E39 M5 now :D) but i will check back in JUST for this thread. hot damn!

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

mrgreeneyes wrote:
kudos. carry on. i dont even own a 240 anymore (E39 M5 now :D) but i will check back in JUST for this thread. hot damn!
thats why we dont ever see you anymore. we miss you man :cry:

mrgreeneyes
Car: ///M5
Parted Out Built S13 Coupe

motoman399 wrote:
mrgreeneyes wrote:
thats why we dont ever see you anymore. we miss you man :cry:
once the M has coils, is tinted, and running tip-top, and I have a house, I'll be back with another coupe :bigthumb:

doing big things before the small things... next S13 will be track only.

I miss roughly a dozen people on here. the rest, are idiots.

M5board, people talk in full sentences, even the ones who don't speak english as a primary language. They are mature, don't s***, and don't flame people much at all, let alone ever. It's the way forums are supposed to be. They don't care if your wheels aren't Work, BBS, etc, as long as they look good. No hate for "knock-offs" as long as the stuff works as advertised.

Wanna hear something crazy? A 24+ part OEM suspension arm set... is like $600. $600?!?!?!? yes. no rubber, all balljoint pivots. hot damn. You pay a lot monthly for the car, but honestly, mods are cheaper. (boost aside, but you do make 550+whp for $8k..)

All said and done tho, I miss my S13's simplicity and the fact that I know these cars inside out. The M5 is a WHOLE 'nother animal, but a MUCH better/fun daily :werd:

/highjack

Tofubadguy
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

"/highjack" Don't worry about it! :)

Side note - /highjack x 2

Austin reveals track layout for 2012 US Grand Prix

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 961713.stm

It's all coming together! :)

1sikS13
Car: 1992 S13 240sx

mrgreeneyes wrote: I miss roughly a dozen people on here. the rest, are idiots.
Although your coupe build was amazing. You sir are no better then the rest of these so called idiots, when you are prejudging people you don't even know.

Tofubadguy
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

Need to update this! :) Putting in the whole R32 GTR rear subframe now. It all lines up like a dream. I'll get e few pics up soon, but they aren't anything special. Just a rear subframe that is essentially a direct bolt in... :)

Next up, putting it all back together and getting it to a wiring magician. Running, functional, legal, then complete re-disassembly for roll cage, paint, suspension, interior, custom fuel cell, etc.. fit and finish .

Return to “240sx General Discussion”