My 240....is gone....

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Sygerwulf
Car: 91 240SX SE

I was heading home this morning with a couple friends, no big deal. I was driving alittle excessively I admit but nothing out of my control, until we come to the offramp.well the off-ramp's speed limit is 45, so I go 45 not really thinking about the rain and wet surface of the road and that half way through the turn there is a bridge and a large bump. Well we're going fine until we hit the bump and the car's back end slings out instantly and clips the guard rail on the right side which basically threw the car toward the other side of the road. The car was pretty much in a completely uncontrolled slide and the only thing that saved from a head on collision was it responding at the last moment and jerked right, slamming the right front of the car into the guard rail and slinging the rear end hard aginst it.

The car is totalled. I guesstimate roughly $4,500 to $5,000 in damage, so no turbo or sr for me anytime in the near future. The hood was unaffected, as was all the glass which is good. and the passenger side door has no damage. However, the front driver's side fender is completely and utterly destroyed with no hope of repair, and the bumper is mangled badly. a rather large stratch trails along the driver's side door and the rear left fender has a 5 inch tall and roughtly 2 to 3 inch deep impact line from the guard rail in it and my rear left light assembly is slightly damaged the rear bumper is fine although the paint is scratched off the right side and the rear right fender can be salvaged, only a slight dent in it. The passenger's side fender is also repairable. It infact had no damage till my friend went to get out and bent it with the door. The impact must have compressed the fender slightly from the force because it is sitting back about 1 1/2 inches from normal. No mechanical damage except for the driver's side wheel. The wheel is setting at about 15% off angel pointing in rubbing aginst the spring. I looked at the linkage and everything that I could and saw no major damage or stretching/bendind, but the shock is completely destroyed and the strut tower is warped and angeled which will have to be repaired.

Words cannot express my emotional state at this time so I will end here.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

OH NOOO...:(

This is very sad news.Let me express my heartfelt condolences on the behalf of all NICO members and staff..

Fred...:(

PSDid you have full coverage by any chance?

Sygerwulf

Thanks Fred, looks like I won't be using that oil for a while now lol.

Unfortunately no. Since I paid cash for the car and needed to build my finances back up I only got liability/UM so this will all be coming out of my pocket.

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Why fix it, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy another one?

Was it an S13, or 14?

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

Wow, sorry to hear...Maybe if you posted the few positive things that are coming from this, you would feel better.

Getting a new car?Good insurance payout?Some parts saved you can sell?

Good luck with the aftermath none-the-less.

Sygerwulf

Well I'm getting some estimates tomorrow on repair costs. All of the mechanics of the car are still perfectly fine, 99% of the damage is superficial. So I basically only have a couple options

1: Tough it out and try to get it all repaired *urgh*2: Try and find a 240 that's in good condition but has a blown engine/tranny and buy it for cheap and swap my engine/tranny in3: just buy a new car all together *urgh again*4: fix it to drivability and save up to repair/replace everything

What happens this week will predict what I decide to do

btw it was an S-13. One of the main reasons I liked it so much was because it's rare to see a non-ragged S-13 and it was incredibly nice. I feel like such s*** :(

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Get a rustless S13 for cheap, use the one you have as a parts car...I guess.

paying 4-5k to fix it seems dumb, when you can find one for like 3k. But thats your choice, and a hard one at that, sorry man.

240gurl
Car: my sxy car

Im really sowwy too... :(

yeah i think u should keep this for its parts..and find another one...and possibly do a swap

but im really really glad that u and ur buddies are okay...kuz that would of sucked more if u had gotten hurt

*hugs*

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Syger, that blows. Glad you're OK, sheetmetal means nothing compared to our buddies on the board.

The rest of you need to look into getting full coverage (with a high deductible, if necessary) on your cars!

Best wishes with getting her back in shape.

Sygerwulf

Yes, full coverage is a must. I wish I had gotton it instead of wanting to save up money for modding. thanks hitman, I"m just glad everyone was alright.

Thanks 240gurl *hugs* ;)

redrocket
Car: 1987 200sx SE, 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic Crew Cab, and 1999 Kawasaki ZX9R

Matt dude I am sorry after a great weekend plus all the time we spent trying NOT to die or wreck on the way back to the Boro from Bowling Green this happens on sunday. Look you will know what you will do something will come to you and pray because the Lord will always show you the way. I'll keep you in my prayers plus let me know parts you need and i will help try to find them.

p.s. I bet Timmy and Troy were s*** bricks.

Repo Man
Car: 2020 Frontier Pro4X
2003 Honda Accord

Matt,

I am truly sorry about this, but am very glad everyone was ok. If there is anything I can do, email me and I'll be happy to assist in any way possible.

Try to have a good week!

Andy

Sygerwulf

Thanks alot guys, I really apreciate it :)

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

sorry man. i had a feeling something like this would happen. on my way home from BG it crossed my mind how bad the driving conditions were that night with all these nice cars out cruising. i'll keep my eyes open for some good deals in my area for you. at least we all got to see it before.

PalmerWMD

Mayhem_J30 wrote:sorry man. i had a feeling something like this would happen. on my way home from BG it crossed my mind how bad the driving conditions were that night with all these nice cars out cruising. i'll keep my eyes open for some good deals in my area for you. at least we all got to see it before.

You're so right Chris,

I was wondering about that too.Because conditions WERE pretty bad.Even in town I was glad we didn't have an accident.

I was so glad all night I was running on almost new Firehawk SZ50EP, w/ the UNI-T (supposedly real good in rain).

But I was also wondering for the way back, with us being so many and people all tired and such..:sleep

Fred...

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

first leaving BG was the worst. the construction, rain, those weird lane changing things, i couldn't see any of the street lines(this seems to only be a KY stricken problem) i was nervous and doing only 50mph.

let us know what happens! you'll probably end up coming ahead buying a new one and parting out the old if you do the swap.

Repo Man
Car: 2020 Frontier Pro4X
2003 Honda Accord

Mayhem_J30 wrote:first leaving BG was the worst. the construction, rain, those weird lane changing things, i couldn't see any of the street lines(this seems to only be a KY stricken problem) i was nervous and doing only 50mph.

Yeah, all of that sucked. It's not just a KY thing either. Someone needs to come up with some damn lane markers that you can see in the rain. I definitely had both hands on the wheel going through that construction.

SpeeDDrifT
Car: drive. drift. drive....um drift...SAFELY. k

sorry to hear about your car bro. be thankful thing could have been worst. i know what your saying about it be a rare S13 that isn't all ragged. i am replacing my S13 with another one and selling my current car, in order to save money for performance parts. and it's hard to let go of this one, but sometimes it just makes more sense in the long run.best of luck.

theTony
Car: umm.....Cars??

Matt,

Sorry I am so late getting to respond. I don't have a lot a free time at work anymore to get on the Internet and post. That's good and bad! ;)

I am so sorry to hear about your wreck. Thank God you and your freind are OK first off. Things always can be much worse and they could have been this time for sure. I am so glad to hear you are OK. :)

That totally sucks about your car. I really really liked yours too. I hope that you can find another s-13 in good condition. I would do that and hold on to yours for parts. I will also keep my eyes and ears open around Louisville for you too. I'll let you know if I come across anything you might be interested in.

Well one good thing is, you have all these great pictures of your car taken just the day before! I for one think that will be a great way to remember your car. At least we all got to see it one last time. :(

Please e-mail me if you need anything and/or I can give you my cell number. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Take care, Matt :wavey

ser chicken
Car: cars, water and writing

i just wanted to offer my condolences, its a shame your not near pa because there is a s13 here for sale with a bad engine. im trying to buy it myself... granted it has been beat on and has a few dents but all in all it seems good for a project car... i can get you more information if your interested (maybe even pictures) but like i said its in pa. near philly... so i doubt its of intrest for you.

im just glad to see no one ragged on you and gave you a hard time like i got when i posted my mishap here not that long ago... but im new and its quite obvious you are very well known.. lol... i suppose that makes a hell of a difference

always remember health first though, as hard as it is to think about it, its true. you cant build another one if your dead! glad to hear everybody walked out. and again, my condolences-pete s.

Sygerwulf

Wow, where to begin. Words cannot begin to express how much better you all have made me feel about the accident. I think without you guys I would have slipped into a depression. ;)

Tony,ser chicken, speeddrift, repo man,fred, apexi, mayhem, 240gurl, robbie, ninja, hitman, everyone thank you so much for your condolences and offering to help me. If anyone can find a 240 with as good a body/interior condition as possible let me know by email. Any year model will do. Tomorrow we're going to take the wheel off and see how bad it is and *hopefully* be able to get it back in temporary driving condition so atleast I can drive it if need be, but reguardless of wether I keep the car and repair it or just swap engines with another 240 I will have to have one.

Again I can't say thank you enough times to express my graditude. You guys are awsome. It's people like you that make the world worth living in :D:D:D

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

Matt, dude i am SO SORRY. i mean i don't kno what to say about this, it just sucks so bad. you're in my prayers as well, so that you choose the right thing to do out of this situation. everyone keep their minds on me to! i just got my license, and its my worst nightmare to have a wreck. that would suck so bad! but yea i'll also keep my eyes open for you a new car or w/e matt.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Matt- Check autotrader.com, I've had good luck there.

If you find one in AZ (rust-free, baby!) I'll be glad to go look at it for you.

Sygerwulf

*Update

Got the wheel off and took the shock and strut housing off. Looks like I need a new shock, so about $50 and I should be driving again, hopefully. The problem is getting the hood to shut. The driver's side head like is pushed too far up and back to allow it to close so we're going to try and pull everything back as much as possible and just leave the headlights in the open possition. :(

oh well, atleast I'll be able to drive her again.

ser chicken
Car: cars, water and writing

theres always the chain and tree trick...

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

hey matt its good that you are going to be able to at least drive her maybe. i'm glad there wasn't worse damage than there was. hey, maybe your mom will let you drive her eclipse (or talon, i can't keep up w/ what she has, has had, etc etc.)

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

Repo man,It does suck not being able to see the lane markers. It also sucks when some random 240-driver sprays water up into the air (that is parallel with your headlights) creating a fog effect, when you’re driving behind them. Sheesh

theTony
Car: umm.....Cars??

Cold_Zero wrote:Repo man,It does suck not being able to see the lane markers. It also sucks when some random 240-driver sprays water up into the air (that is parallel with your headlights) creating a fog effect, when you’re driving behind them. Sheesh

lol

PalmerWMD

I am really glad for you that it is still drivable.

That way at least you dont have to worry about rentals and stuff.Or about buying a $500 car to make it to work just to fix up your main car.

Fred...:)

Sygerwulf

yeah we're gonna try pulling it out tomorrow so we can get the hood to close correctly, but other then that a new strut and she'll be ready for the road.

That's such a relief. Although it's going to look terrible, atleast I can drive her till I can fix her now :)

Return to “General Chat”