My 2 cents for those who own prehistoric Rogues.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Yes, I'm talking about the bubble early version looking ones.

All those discussions of the unreliable cvt in here actually gave me low expectations of my ride.

For a few years I actually thought it was normal to step on the gas and after waiting for a few nano seconds, the Rogue would then jerk forward.

It did this more often than not that it was what I expected to live with because we have a crappy cvt and hearing all those dreaded stories I read in here.

But if there is one thing that I would recommend for the original version Rogue owners in here is to change all the fluids.

This means draining & filling the transmission cvt fluid, transfer case, differential ( if awd), and of course motor oil.

You can then say goodbye, or at least in my case.

To the 30-40 mph rumble strip vibration, hesitation, slippage, and rubber band effect.

No sense of disconnect, but a solid sturdy feel while accelerating.

My vehicle drives heavenly now. Or you can say it is smooth as hell!

Everyday I drive it, I always say to myself that this engine runs soo silky smooth. Even the steering wheel does not shake as much as I noticed before.

Never really thought about it until I read the forums and how some drivers complained about vibration of the steering wheel while driving.

Oh GREAT. Ever since I became more aware and sensitive to this.

But seriously, one day I thought something was wrong with my Rogue because I couldn't feel a thing or barely a vibration from my steering wheel while in my driveway, that I had to look at my rpm gauge and exit my vehicle to check my hood if it was really on.

Whoa, it was! That how smooth it is now.

Maybe it's my location, or choice of fluids, or aligning of the stars, but thank god I found the perfect balance.

I don't know if it drives like new but it's been a pleasure driving my Rogue with its original cvt ever since.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have changed all my fluids at 30,000 miles after buying my Rogue.

So if your old rogue drives and feels like crap, give it a fluid transfusion.

It made a world of difference for my Rogue.

Of course after saying this, my cvt transmission will probably blow up because of Murphy's law.

At least I'm still under the 120,000 mile/10 yr warrenty. By 10 months and about 35,000 miles. :cool:

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

That's awesome to hear :P I've got a 2008 and haven't noticed any problems as yet though it'd be good to stay on top of that, sounds like changing the fluids is a good idea, maybe once I save up a bit. One issue I had was when I bought it the foot-break line was seizing up and literally smoking after a 20 minute drive, luckily the dealer fixed it free. Additionally one of my heatshields towards the rear of the vehicle was falling off a bit but I drilled a hole and hung it up with some zipties, seems solid for now lol

casperfun

I also had a heat shield issue, it was the dreaded rattling sound.

So I just to a plastic children's hanger you get when buying cloths.

Broke those plastic clamps at one end and attached it to my heat shield in such a way that it won't rattle anymore.

Hey it worked! Lol.

No rattle ever since.

I almost fluid filmed the underside with a can, but didn't really le in the rust belt.

I did use rust convertor for spot work.

Because my dealership wouldn't change my axles as requested when I had leaking boots, I did convert the rust on them to a nice bkack.

You can use a paint brush or buy a rust convertor spray can at advance auto.

I plan to keep my vehicle until it falls apart so trying to keep any rust at bay is important.

YouTube is your ftiend, and here of course. :mike

Did most of my easy repairs .

Change oil, transfer, differential
Change spark plugs
Shocks,
Tail light, rear bulbs,
Pcv valve
Rotate tires,
Engine air filter, cabin air filter
Mcguyvered my broken car handle and saved $600. Holding up so far for half dozen years.
Hard wired a dashcam

And I'm far from a car mechanic.

Probably could do brakes and rotors if I wanted. By following an online video.

So alot of info here to keep your ride lasting longer thank god.

casperfun

Forgot to mentioned coolant. The last time I never do that Wierd drain bolt I could never figure out.

Had so much air in system because I didn't know how to burp it out.

Coolant temp went all the way to 249-260 degrees or almost.

Never good at that.

It's fine now.

Carter22
Car: 2009 Rogue SL

Just purchased a 2009 Rogue SL AWD, not sure what package as it has all but leathers. It has new tires which are rated a little noisy but, do these vehicles ride a little rough? I can feel a lot in the floorboards. Thanks all, great forum.

casperfun

Riding rough would be subjective.

If you rode an expensive large suv, one might say a little cuv would feel rough.

You could try some comfort tread type tires and never over inflate tires. Keep at minimum.

Fortunately, the roads I travel are fairly smooth.

I personally never really paid attention to the floorboards.

But now that you mention it, I might be more attune to it now like I am with the steering wheel at times! Thx...lolz.

In all serious, I actually have oem mats, that are under weatherproof carpet type mats, which are under some heavy rubber mats.

Yeah, I was over protected back in the day with my interior.

Not suppose to do that, but it might have help muted any underbody road variables from intruding into the compartment.

You could also use sound deadening insulation on your floorboards.

Cheap Seat cushions also helps me feel better too.

Cheap ride could also make a rough ride, so moving up in luxury is an option.

Personally, I felt the ride in a Santa fe was more jarring while riding it back in 2009.

I also think the rogue to me is just as smooth as our lexus is250. Because of the gearless shifting cvt when compared to the lexus automatic which is more sporty.

Anyways, I like my tires a little above recommended psi, and if I do go over bumpy parts, I definitely feel it.

But then again, roads here are 95% smooth mostly.

worldbikr
Car: na

276k miles on my 2008. Amsoi l cvt fluid. Going for 300k

Return to “Rogue Forum”