My 1JZ S13 build

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
2j40
Car: Nissan S13 with a 1jz swap

Hey guys so I figured I would show you all my s13 Build, the idea for the car is to have a very comfortable daily driver with modern day luxuries. I will say now this build will not be for everybody and many may not like it and that is fine but at the end of the day its not their car its mine. I acquired the car at the start of 2019 if I remember correctly after trading my Evo 1 for it. The Evo had its own issues so it was a decent trade for both of us but over all he got the better deal.

now to the good stuff, So here is a picture of the day I got the car into the garage Image

now when I first got the car it was a very standard Ka24de with a 5spd the original plans were to keep it stock for a while and then maybe Ka-T after winter but plans changed when I stumbled across this in the local junk yard!

as soon as I saw it we began removing it and lucked out and it had a R154 on the back of it. Me and my cousin split the cost and agreed he would take the trans and clutch set up as I had a cd009 sitting on the shelf. This turned out to be a mistake on my part because that R154 was a freshly built unit from marlin crawler and had a OS Giken twin disk with the Push pull converter but a deal was a deal and we ended up putting that trans into his MK4 supra.

So now with a new motor and plans spinning in my head I went ahead and started cleaning and prepping the engine and bay.

I am not sure what happened to all the pics of the bottom end " rebuild " but it got new king race bearings for rod and crank. The pistons and rods looked perfectly fine and the cylinders still had cross hatching so I called it good and put it back together with a brand new toyota 2jz gte head gasket because I decided I like to over complicate things and wanted VVT-i.

now as you can tell this is set up to be NA and that is just temporary as I need to actually move in the next year or so and need the car mobile before I move. I used a 2JZ VVT-i cylinder head off of a is300 over a GTE head for a few reasons, 1 the ge has been proven to out flow the gte in exhaust flow in the top end, 2 the 2jz ge head flows better then the 1jz contrary to belief ( there are flow charts proving this ) and finally it puts the water neck perfectly inline to use a SR radiator.

Now to make the VVT-i work I had to buy an adapter from PHR that threads into the 1JZ's oil pressure port and adapts it to the large banjo bolt. after that I purchased -6an m12 or 14 banjo fittings and 2 feet of braided -6an line and misc fittings to make my own VVT-i oil feed line. Since this pic has been takin I have taken a little bit of hose off the line and made it fit nicer but you will get the idea.

I also put a w58 into the car and loved how well it fit but it will be coming out to be replaced by a A340E that I will be controlling with a Smart 100.1 shift box with the ratchet shift module until I can afford to get the fisch cd009 kit.

I will be running this all off of a Link Storm G4X Ecu and a smart 100.1 TCU, and a wiring harness I will be designing.

Hope you all enjoy this I will be adding to it any time I get more stuff done on it.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Nice setup I see the ABS module, is that a Super Hicas model?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

So far so good. I like your logic of picking parts to aid in fitment too (like the head so the radiator lines up perfectly). Smart.

2j40

NukeKS14 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:44 am
Nice setup I see the ABS module, is that a Super Hicas model?

To be quite honest I really don't know I haven't spent any time in the rear of the car and at the moment the garage is filled with my daily summer car and lots of parts for my other 2 builds I have going on at the same time. I don't like down time and have to keep my hands busy now have 4 active projects.

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:02 am
So far so good. I like your logic of picking parts to aid in fitment too (like the head so the radiator lines up perfectly). Smart.
Thanks man, to me that just makes the most sense. 2jz GTE vvt-i cams fit the ge head so I can save a ton of money on the head alone and having the water outlet line up perfectly just makes me happy cause it will take out in needed clutter and gives more room in the bay. I am super stoked that the a340 is going to fit in the s13 as well cause this car other then the front bumper is extremely clean. I have found one spot that has rust and it will be an easy repair.

This thread .at be quite for a bit now though because currently I am in employed due to covid and our restrictions for it. Also it's middle of winter for us and my garage doesn't have a heater. But any progress I will post up!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

You should check out my waste-oil heater thread to get some heat in your garage ;)

topic628073.html

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:46 pm
You should check out my waste-oil heater thread to get some heat in your garage ;)
Yep, Papa's "MacGyver" is the s@#%, check it out. :dblthumb:

2j40

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:46 pm

topic628073.html
Wow yea that's awesome maybe once I own my garage I will do that but at the moment I am just renting and I had even offered to have a heater professionally installed on my own dime and the land lord declined so I am not sure how he would like me doing that haha. however when I do move this may be one of the first garage mods if I don't find one with a heater already in it as I have tons of waste oil :rotfl

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You could always crack the door and use portable kerosene. My dad was a building contractor and never used anything else on chilly job sites, if you get a proper one with a fan they work very well.

2j40

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:57 pm
You could always crack the door and use portable kerosene. My dad was a building contractor and never used anything else on chilly job sites, if you get a proper one with a fan they work very well.
Tried that once already nearly died had both the man door fully open and the garage door about 5 inches off the ground and still passed out to fumes, got lucky and my roomate found me in the snow. easily one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me last thing I remember I as inside the garage setting timing on the car when it still had the Ka24 in it. could have been a lot worse if he hadnt come home from work early that night.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

2j40 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:41 pm
VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:57 pm
Tried that once already nearly died had both the man door fully open and the garage door about 5 inches off the ground and still passed out to fumes, got lucky and my roomate found me in the snow. easily one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me last thing I remember I as inside the garage setting timing on the car when it still had the Ka24 in it. could have been a lot worse if he hadnt come home from work early that night.
Egad! Sounds like a defective heater, but I'm not surprised if you're leery, that would scare the pants off anybody.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah I've always thought those kerosene heaters were quite fumey. I haven't tried one recently (within the last decade though). Propane has always been decent for as long as I remember. Either tank-top propane heaters, or even a turkey fryer haha.

2j40

I happened to find a few more pics from when I was building it so figured I would post them up.

here is a pic of the bottom end after everything was torqued to spec

and here are some pics of a old HKS external gate that I restored. The exterior I used a high temp heat resistant paint but im doubtful how well it will hold up so we will see. all the internals and spring are new as well. Top wastegate is the one that I restored and is authentic HKS the bottom is a rep but actually worked very well in my cousins supra for many years till it was removed and upgraded for a Tial gate.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”