My 1998 to 2001 Headlight Swap

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
Mark DKW
Car: 1998 Altima GXE

Hello,
My name is Mark and I'm new to this forum, even though I've owned a '98 Nissan Altima since 2005.
Aside from some initial fix-up when I bought it, and normal wear items, it's been pretty reliable, with the only major issues being a mass airflow sensor and an AC compressor clutch.
Three years ago, I acquired another vehicle, so the Altima had been sitting a lot, until recently, when I decided to start driving it more often. So I decided to take care of some issues.
Mainly, the original headlights have deteriorated so badly that the car was unsafe to drive at night. So I was able to find a new set in a salvage-yard off a 2001. I like these better than my original setup and have already installed them. I'm very happy with tge new headlights. In order to expedite the swap, I decided to install the amber turn/parking bulbs & sockets in the side-lights of the 2001 headlamp units (where they were located in my '98) but where the 2001 units used to have clear cornering lights.
I removed the sockets and plugged the openings where the 2001 units had the turn/parking lights. My state safety inspector said he was OK with that.
But my question is, if I should someday want to rewire so all the 2001 headlight bulbs are working, can someone explain when & how these cornering lights function?
Thanks.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”