My 1996 Nissan 240sx LS Turbo 4l80e Daily Driver

Buy or sell Nissan / Datsun cars, trucks, SUV's and crossover Vehicles!
kingtal0n
Car: 240sx

Build Thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ot ... udget.html
Kingtal0n -at- aol dot com

My daily since 2017. I put about 40,000 miles on it since then.
See the white marks at the bottom of the front bumper? I painted it like that to give the appearance of being 'beat up'.
I like people to think its just a beat up old stock 240sx. I get people all the time asking if I want to sell the stock 240.
The paint is acrylic and will wash out with water and a bit of elbow grease. None of the paint on the exterior is permanent.

This is my only car, my daily. I Started with an original unmodified chassis and re-used as much as I could to keep everything working like original and looking original. I am a fan of original radios and original shifters and original body panels and original engines. I was never into low cars or aftermarket body kits, I'm not into JDM appeal or whatever you call it. All I really ever cared about was having power and this eventually led me down the path of reliability since having power is useless without the reliability.

No problems; no smoking, no leaking, no oil drips, no weird engine sounds, no issues. Just change the oil.
Maintains mostly stock outward appearance and ground clearance for daily driving and to avoid attention.
Its as quiet as a stock original engine to daily drive in normal traffic without fumes or headache.
Overdrive transmission comfortable highway cruise RPM and economy for long distance driving.

2021 picture last year,

2022 picture, nothings changed except the filter.
This year it's getting a new high quality AFE filter, Their best for Off-Road filtration.

Fully insulated and shielded exhaust protects everything under the hood and chassis from heat soak. Built to sit in traffic all day long.
Electric Cut-out offers noise and attention at the press of button.
All fuses, wiring and relays are OEM quality. Most have protectivewater proof containers.
I've hidden the main fuse box and taken steps for security.
I've since changed the boost controller and done a bit more tidying.
Dyno day. These engines will last forever at 500-600rwhp.

All suspension has been replaced with new OEM quality and I routinely re-grease to keep it fresh.

Yank converter, 9.5" Lockup is the best converter you can buy.
ImageImage

real tial wastegate, with water cooling function.

Authentic Fuel injector clinic fuel injectors

I built the transmission myself to ensure all of the mods and parts inside are exactly what they are supposed to be and how they are supposed to be. The transmission has almost 12,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt. It's been perfect.

Here is the list of 'secret' mods to build 4l80e for daily driver performance
[=-> live 'forever' at approx 800rwhp using original shafts and drums <-=]
Use only 2002-2004 rear lube 4l80e!
Trans-go AFL valve fix kit
.044" - .054" Lube to line orifice, this is drilled into pump
1/4" Pump return enlarged and filed smooth all pumps get this
Only use Borg Warner high energy clutches
Dual fed internally, no leaky shift kit plates, no leaky over-pressure mod
Do Not use HD2 shift kit!
1500 grit polished sprag races
2nd gear feed @ .097", 3rd gear @ .108", 4th @ .125"
Feed holes match well with 2800-3200rpm Yank Converter 9.5" Triple lockup
You must use lightweight 9.5" converter to reduce rotating mass and bushing wear.
All checkballs maintained!
Leave direct drum internal seal on (Do not remove like so many online tutorials recommend)
Rollerized rear output thrust surface (many ways to do this) Research!
Set Rear Roller Thrust for output shaft end play @ .003" from original 0.025" tightens up the 4l80e significantly and reduced friction
Front end play near .010" - .015" using new .075" pump washer
reaction carrier tightened up to center support at .012" from .037" (requires .005" shims)
all plastic thrust are replaced with metal (metal thrust kit)
.108" Thick HD intermediate snap ring absolutely required no matter what
Sonnax boost valve (OEM pressure) & PR valve w/ Internal pressure relief from Sonnax
.035" orifice added to edge of direct drum to prevent centrifugal apply (allows +7000rpm 4l80e)
File case tangs and pump recess de-burring before assembly and properly cleaning is essential, do not rush!
all new clutches, sprags, bearings, bushings, seals, thrust washers, bonded pistons standard rebuild kit items [/SIZE]

All of the engine's seals and the oil pump were replaced to ensure long service life.
All work done by Factory service manual, torque specsand solvents and procedures.

Fresh set of heads and brand new PAC-1218 valve springs mated to TrickFlow TFS-30602001, a low lift camshaft for long service life.

There's so little to do I find myself getting bored and adding touches of color around the vehicle.[/SIZE]

Painted and restore the trunk area to look nice and prevent rust, I did NOT paint over any seam glues.
All the factory seam glue is original color and original intact.

The body is in decent shape. Its not the best 240 I've ever seen but its definitely not the worst. It gets scratches and dings because I daily it.
NO ACCIDENTS. Clean Title. All original body panels, original fenders, hood, trunk, all VIN tags all in place.
The rear bumper has NEVER been removed.
It even has original windshield glass. And its actually very clear when you clean it, I'm impressed with how good the glass held up for so many years.

Q45 differential 3.54:1 ratio 32 spline axles, very strong differential supports drag radials. 30mm Brakes of course, stops better than I am used to even for a 240. The brakes and rotors are new from RockAuto, not used from an old car.

I Just have too much to list. The car is incredible I can go on and on for hours about it.
Please review the build thread for hundreds of pictures and many more details
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ot ... udget.html

The pressure test video. All forced induction vehicles I tune require a pressure test and I finally made the video because people were so confused about this basic essential test, Now they can see what we are supposed to do properly to pressure test (from compressor cover).

I am setting the price at $34,000. Everything that was done is shown in the build thread, full transparency. Everything was done by 1 person so you know it was all done the same way, same mindset. These two things are a priceless additional to any 240 swap.

I do kind of enjoy the antique aspect of it, the fact that its so old and looks so damn good still, sounds and drives great. That it's a personal canvas that I can do anything I want to. That it also possess the performance of a modern car era is a welcome additional, but to me having the reliability of an Escalade is far more important. Or at least, it was, while I was a student. Now that I am finishing up with school and have a job, I can afford to build something with about twice the power, and also I can own two cars and afford AAA and some nicer tools. So I am looking to pass this car down like so many others and move on to a next project with a more lofty goal of say 1200rwhp which is going to take an entirely different line up of parts and decisions. I prefer to work from a clean slate and I really don't like to mess with something that runs and drives perfectly as is, so I plan to keep driving this the way it is. Don't fix it if it isn't broken is a mentality that really stuck with me after 23 years of auto mechanics as a performance enthusiast. Only thing I might re-dyno with a stiff gate spring and put down 620-640rwhp this year, just because it can.

Nobody expects this car to be fast, and nobody to the power of 10 expected it to be that fast. 'SURPRISE! BYE!'
An SR20 car is 'fast' even with a stock turbo its pretty quick and fun to drive. But the 4l80e is a game changing monster, when coupled to highly efficient torque converter and a lightweight chassis... well. It's just a completely different level of being able to leave quickly when you want to, without even trying.
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: CLOSED

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:poke: What's the status on this? Should the thread be closed? :gotme

kingtal0n

Still for sale. Not rush to sell, driving almost every day. Still doing stuff to it as maintenance. Two weeks ago the rebuilt 4l80e hit I think around 15,000 miles so I pulled the pan to inspect the magnet and replace the filter, looks awesome. Last week cleaned the sunroof and rust proofed it and replaced the switch so it works good again. Changing the oil this week sometime. I'm going to wet sand and paint the roof because the clear is peeling in the sun, starting to look awful. When the car was up for the trans filter I also greased the suspension up and wiped everything down. Just doing whatever needed as time goes on.

kingtal0n

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I tried to reply to your Pm but you disabled PM receipt..

yes its me :chuckle:

Return to “Nissan For Sale”