My 1985 Nissan 720 Bushmaster 4x4

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
ikerex
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 Bushmaster 4x4

Hey Everybody,

Just joined the site, found it while doing some 720 research. I thought I'd give my truck a quick introduction.
I am the lucky owner of a 1985 Nissan Bushmaster 4x4. This truck has been in my family since before I was born. My parents bought it in 1986, and I rode home from the hospital when I was born in 1988. It was my first vehicle when I was 16. We had it when we lived in Alaska, and it crossed the Alaska Highway and traveled through the Yukon Territory several times.

For those of you that don't know what a Bushmaster is, it was a dealer optional conversion for 720 4x4 King Cabs. I'm not sure how many years it was made, or how many were made, but I have only ever seen 1 besides mine. Basically the trucks were converted by a company called Matrix3 in California (I believe). They basically welded the body to the cab and put a shell on and took out the back of the cab, so it's a 2 door SUV almost exactly like a OG Toyota 4Runner, but bigger. It's pretty cool.
Anyway, its an pretty cool, semi-rare truck. It has been sitting at my parents house for the last 4 years or so, covered, but I am bringing it up to Salt Lake City, UT where I live and start working on it again. It runs great, has a rebuilt Z24 in it (put in when we lived in Alaska), and we replaced the tranny about 4 years ago.

I only have a couple pictures right now (these pictures come up when you do a google search for nissan bushmaster - I had uploaded them to my Cardomain page when I was in High School), but when I get the truck to my house I will take more.

I have a few questions for the 720 community. Before I can move the truck, it really needs new seats. I have read that 96-newer Isuzu Rodeo (and I'm guessing Honda Passport - same truck) seats will directly fit the 720. I've also heard that Dodge Neon seats will fit. Is this true?? I'm going to start searching junkyards for some Isuzu Rodeo seats soon if they will bolt in.

Question #2: The steering in the truck seems very loose. Especially at high speeds. I'm guessing that maybe it needs some new steering components, such as the idler arm? If anybody has knowledge about this, that would be great.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

Awesome, man! Glad to see some mud on one of these things!

ikerex
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 Bushmaster 4x4

New pictures! Truck now has fresh coolant and radiator hoses, new Rodeo seats, new antenna, and a bunch of other various fixes:

Return to “Datsun 720”