My 1984 720 Offroad Build in India

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
varunkap
Car: Datsun 720 4X4

My 1984 Datsun 720 (Work in Progress)

This is my Grandpa's 1984 Datsun 720 2WD single cab. Last we drove it was in 1991. Since then, it was parked in the backyard and finally I decided to modify it and turn it into an extreme 4 X 4 offroad machine. Since, the car is in India and there are hardly 5 - 10 Datsun pickups in India from the lot of around 100 which were imported in the 80's. So had to import some parts from Thailand and rest were all customized by hand or borrowed from different Indian cars. I've done the following mods till date -
* Changed IFS to Solid Axles
* 6 Lug to 5 Lug Conversion
* Upgraded 33 X 12.5 X 15 Tyres on 10J Alloys
* Swapped a 2400 CC Turbo Engine
* Installed 4 Wheel Drive 5 Speed Gearbox
* Installed Power Steering
* Installed Disc Brakes in the front

Now the car stands almost 2 feet high from the ground. The car was in a bad shape, had loads of rust. The engine was not running so had to put in a new turbo charged engine. It is still going to take another 2 months for the final build as I'm getting the body work done now which includes installing an electric sunroof (borrowed from a Toyota corolla :biggrin: ), converting a single cab to a king cab and then finally a fresh coat of paint.

Mods still need to be done -
* Bucket Seats
* Air Conditioner
* Carpeting
* Power Windows & Central Locking
* Painting the dashboard
* Some new gauges like RPM, Water & Oil Pressure
* Navigation System
* HID Lights with DRL
* Rollcage
* Snorkel
* Bullguard
* Custom Exhaust
* etc. etc. etc. etc. :chuckle:

varunkap

It was in this shape before I started the restoration

varunkap

Some more pics...

varunkap

Next week.. We are going to chop the cabin to extend the single cab into a king cab. Will also fix the electronic sunroof and power seats.

Any suggestions guys ??

Return to “Datsun 720”