"Musical Chairs"

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
RoyDaGeneral
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 2WD

I was at junkyard yesterday and there was a QX4 with a passenger seat that was in excellent condition. I'm wondering if I could use as replacement for my driver's seat? The seat control knobs would have to be moved to the left as there's no room on the right. I guess I could take my tools and do a trial run at the junkyard, but wanna see if anyone has done it before to spare me the effort. They sell them for $50 + tax.

MisterH
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

If all you want is a better bottom cushion, you can remove it from a complete passenger seat assembly because it's identical to the driver's side. The seat control assembly is also removable. The auto dismantlers now will typically sell seats in sections because they're a lot easier to ship that way.

RoyDaGeneral

MisterH wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:53 pm
If all you want is a better bottom cushion, you can remove it from a complete passenger seat assembly because it's identical to the driver's side. The seat control assembly is also removable. The auto dismantlers now will typically sell seats in sections because they're a lot easier to ship that way.
I will certainly put your suggestion to the test this weekend. I guess I'd have to remove the seat to be able to access bottom cushion guts and see how it's attached to entire assembly. Stay tuned!

Serdriver
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Please keep us updated as my drivers seat is torn and I'd love to pick up a nice junkyard piece as well.

RoyDaGeneral

I went to junkyard today, and I can report that my trip was a success, I think. Well, that good condition passenger seat was still untouched by others roaming the yard. I decided to go for bottom cushion. I removed the 4 bolts holding seat to truck's flooring. You need a 14mm socket, but rear left bolt was a PITA, as there was little clearance to place ratchet with short 14mm socket in that tiny space, so I used a 14mm wrench which took like 15 minutes to remove with the help of another yard patron who I sought advice from; nice gentleman indeed. Once, 4 bolts were out, I disconnected some wiring harnesses under seat, some others I just cut off.
I then turned seat on it's side and found another 4 bolts; 12mm, holding bottom cushion to seat frame. Once those 4 bolts were removed, I had to unzip a zipper on back side of seat to access and release a plastic trim securing bottom cushion to seat's back. At that point that cushion was free and ready to go. I paid $8 for it after I gave them my email address for a 40% discount.

Upon further investigation, I was able to remove leather skin attached to sponge bottom. They have the leather skin attached using plastic channels/strips, which you bend over, but be very careful because metal frame below has very sharp edges. That skin could be used on driver's side, but you'd have to make an opening on the left side for seat controls. I will not do the swapping of seat skins now as my seat control unit is broken and they didn't have any good ones at junkyard today. I'll wait till they get another QX4.

RoyDaGeneral

Update: Yesterday I was able to change the ailing driver's side seat cushions, leather skin and spongy cushion; both from passenger side seat from a QX4 donor truck. I changed the bottom and back as well. The back cushion was a little problematic because of the airbag; embedded inside the back cushion's left side, so I had to remove some of that spongy materials from donor cushion, which is a passenger side with a right side airbag, to make room for it. I also had to shave off some sponge material from donor's bottom cushion as the two cushions are not identical, very easy. I also had to make two openings for seat control switch and the lumbar support back cushion handle.The whole job is doable, but labor intensive.

I'd also say for those contemplating doing it to avoid separating the leather skin from the spongy cushions as they are held together using thin metal rods that are embedded inside the sponge material. I also discovered that you can't just swap entire seats; right to left, as their footings which attach to truck's flooring are not of equal length; one side is longer and shaped differently so it would not work to just move right to left and vice versa.

I also changed seat control switch because mine had broken tabs which hold it to seat frame. I got an identical replacement from a 2001 Nissan Maxima at the junk yard. I'm having some trouble with the power supply to that switch and I need some feedback. With my old switch, I used to be able to move seat when ignition was off, but now that is happening intermittently, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. The only time seat has power is when I turn key to positions I or II. I thought maybe programming the seat's AUTO switch would help, but it also works intermittently, sometimes seat moves back and forward and other times it's just not moving according to AUTO setting. Any ideas, maybe I need to make sure seat plugs are very well attached? Thanks.

RoyDaGeneral

I was able to fix the seat control switch problem. The problem was with the Maxima switch I used; it had an extra pin/wire, which caused the snafu. So, after diagnosing the problem, I used the Maxima's switch housing, as my original had broken tabs, and I reused my switch's brain. Problem solved.

mvmcali
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

RoyDaGeneral wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:43 pm
Update: Yesterday I was able to change the ailing driver's side seat cushions, leather skin and spongy cushion; both from passenger side seat from a QX4 donor truck. I changed the bottom and back as well. The back cushion was a little problematic because of the airbag; embedded inside the back cushion's left side, so I had to remove some of that spongy materials from donor cushion, which is a passenger side with a right side airbag, to make room for it. I also had to shave off some sponge material from donor's bottom cushion as the two cushions are not identical, very easy. I also had to make two openings for seat control switch and the lumbar support back cushion handle.The whole job is doable, but labor intensive.

I'd also say for those contemplating doing it to avoid separating the leather skin from the spongy cushions as they are held together using thin metal rods that are embedded inside the sponge material. I also discovered that you can't just swap entire seats; right to left, as their footings which attach to truck's flooring are not of equal length; one side is longer and shaped differently so it would not work to just move right to left and vice versa.

I also changed seat control switch because mine had broken tabs which hold it to seat frame. I got an identical replacement from a 2001 Nissan Maxima at the junk yard. I'm having some trouble with the power supply to that switch and I need some feedback. With my old switch, I used to be able to move seat when ignition was off, but now that is happening intermittently, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. The only time seat has power is when I turn key to positions I or II. I thought maybe programming the seat's AUTO switch would help, but it also works intermittently, sometimes seat moves back and forward and other times it's just not moving according to AUTO setting. Any ideas, maybe I need to make sure seat plugs are very well attached? Thanks.
hi. my Drivers side seat is starting to look a little too ghetto. ripped and rough. you say dont try to seperate leather from the spongy stuff.. can i just a reupholstry place to replace the leather? i looked online and no one sells replacement seats as best I can tell?

RoyDaGeneral

I would think that most upholstery shops could replace leather cushion without any issues.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”