Music box questions

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
morning_glory
Car: EX35

Is it possible to copy from the CompactFlash to the music box ?I have not found any way to do this.My understanding is that the only thing you can do with the music box is to transfer whole CD to it.Am I right ?

Thanks

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Let me check for you. I'll, or someone who knows, will be back with an answer.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

NO, there's no way to copy music from the CF card to the hard drive Music Box. In fact, it's not even possible to get MP3 and WMA files off a CD onto the internal hard drive.

You're correct in concluding the Music Box feature was only designed for ripping an entire commercial audio CD. (Recording always starts at the first track. If you only want selected tracks, you can delete the unwanted ones thereafter, or you can cancel the "recording" process once the song you want has been ripped, then delete the last partial track or any other tracks you didn't want.)

My best guess is that Infiniti wanted to stay well clear of any complicity in terms of propagating copyrighted material.

You might also want to check out other related threads:Music Box QuestionCF Card Player

HTH,David

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

I did find this on Nissan's website which is very interesting and very cool!

http://www.nissanusa.com/gracenote/

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

This is the Nissan version of the Infiniti link included in post 2 of the second thread "CF Card Player" referenced above.

Just to clarify ...

The Music Box is pre-loaded with a version of the Gracenote CD database (formerly known as CDDB). When you insert a commercial CD, this database is used to obtain the matching information based on a signature.

This feature simply allows you to obtain album/track information for CDs not covered by the data pre-loaded in the Music Box, by giving you a program to connect to the current (supposedly complete), Gracenote DB over the Internet using a computer.

Here's how it works:Use your touchscreen to transfer control information for the missing CD from your car via a file named "export.dat" written to a CF card. (That's why you need a CF card with sufficient free space in order to do this.)You run the downloaded utility on an Internet-connected PC with that CF card plugged into it (giving it access to the control file previously written by your car).The utility connects to the online GraceNote DB and attempts to find the track information matching that control information (the matching is done via digital signatures).If it's successful in finding a match, another CF card control file named "import.dat" is written containing the retrieved information.You can then take the CF card (updated with the import.dat file), plug it back into your car and using the functions on your touchscreen, upload the track info, etc, to your hard drive music box.
Modified by dividedhighw at 9:54 PM 6/25/2009

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”