multi-system failure, please resuscitate

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
PantherTatt
Car: 96 Infinity J30

I have never posted on this site but I have read lots and appreciate the opportunity to learn from everyone.
I have a 96 J30 and I recently rear-ended a ford escape which crumpled my hood and punctured the very top of my radiator but otherwise not much damage. The hole in the radiator sprayed my engine compartment with antifreeze for a couple days until I used underwater putty to plug it. About a week after the accident, I am driving along and I hear a ding sound about 6 times. That's when I notice I suddenly have no gauges, no A/C, no power windows, no turn signals and no power steering. I have had the battery and alternator checked (alternator was replaced aug 2015) I have checked all fuses but am unsure about it being a possible relay problem. I figure it to be the ignition switch but I am unsure how to check. Any suggestions or advice would be awesome. Thanks and I love your site! :confused:

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hey, welcome to the forums. With your new user account, you'll be able to use the coveted "Search" feature! So that's kind of cool. You can download your Factory Service Manual (FSM) to help you diagnose and work on your car. http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/use-ni ... abase.html

Did some coolant/ water spray into your fuse and relay box in the engine bay maybe? The stuff that is not working is a lot of accessory type stuff. A lot of Nissans have Accessory 1 and Accessory 2 wiring systems. As a starting point, you will want to check the fuses and relays for those. I don't know your specific car, but maybe look at the fuses in the kick panel inside the car and then look at the fuses and relays in the box under the hood. (the fsm will help you locate these items). Your ignition switch (key) is related to those and could be going bad, but you would have had different clues like the car not starting randomly or the lights going on and off in the dash, wiggle the keys and it fixes itself, etc. I suspect the stuff in the box under the hood, due to your fender bender. If you do find a bad component, look at the wires behind it and make sure they aren't exposed or covered in coolant/ water and creating a short.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

WHATEVeR YOU DO, DON'T TELL THE iNSURANCE AGENT THAT YOU DROVE YOUR CAR FOR ANY FEW DAYS AFTER THE ACCIDENT! They are trained to insinuate that anything less than a total disaster means that you suffered any accident that you could walk away or drive away from, so Tough On You! Before and after pix are your best base line for negotioting a fair settlement. Also do not answer "How are you feeling?" inquiries from your or "their" Insurance inquireres!

P.S. Just why did you rear end the other car? Just might end your relationship with your current insurer!

PantherTatt
Car: 96 Infinity J30

Thank you for all the good advice. I have checked all fuses in the engine compartment and in the cabin. They are fine. I disassembled the fuse box/fuse link box just behind the passenger headlight to look at the wiring going to the fuse links and it all looks okay as well. The car has 176000 miles the wiring going to the fuse links and it all looks okay as well. The car has 176000 miles so many other sites are indicating I should look at the ignition switch kid but I jiggle the key and nothing even flashes so I'm not sure about that.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”