MSD COIL

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
John16
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX hatchback

Does anyone knows how the wiring goes to a MSD Coil Blaster? I have it as the green and black wire as (-) negative and the Red and Black the positive straight to the coil, just the coil im not using the box just the MSD Blaster coil. Im getting 12V from those two wires when switch is on but when I plug it to the COIL I can get the car to start. he reason Im asking is because I had the car starting / running before I disconnect them wires to clean the frame and now it cranks but no start. I'll check tomorrow if there's any spark coming out of the coil I have three extra coils and also three modules. It was late and I had to go will continue tomorrow.
Any advise? Thanks!

:whistle: :whistle:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I think you must have accidentally popped something, because I don't see any reason the Blaster wouldn't work. It's a 0.7 ohm primary just like the OE coil, so the PTU won't know the difference. The only real difference is that the OE coil has an internal ground to the laminate, but that's to reduce electrical noise and the Blaster shouldn't need it. If there's no spark, start by seeing if the PTU is driving the coil. The 12V on both sides is because the PTU only grounds the coil primary to charge it. So when you're checking with the engine off, the PTU side of the coil gets juice through the primary, giving you equal voltage on both sides. Once the ECU starts firing, you should see a lower voltage on the PTU side than on the power side. If not, either the PTU or the trigger signal from the ECU has a problem.

John16

Hello! What is the PTU? :? Oh boy, Ok got it Power Transfer Unit... Is that that little black module? I have three of those. I had it running before like i said and the only thing that was coming out of the wiring harness was that black and red cable and green and black. Now down the wires there is a white can of thick cable that was hanging around so i matched it at the other end but is not the same wire they dont match on the inside.

Anyway like i said I get a 12V with switch on from the red and black + Cable and Green and Black - . So when I take the voltage reading it gives me 12V on that specific order so if i switch the cable sequence it will give me a negative reading.

Sorry but how you test if the PTU is driving the coil.?

Anyway I will start troubleshooting tomorrow starting from making sure the Distributor is not wet on the inside and then I'm going to see if there's any spark and then if there's no spark change my ECU I have about 3 as well :)

John16

Ok so i fixed the issue. It was a white cable that was cut but someohow from i what i noticed is that one side had like the ground little cover of silver wieres and the other side didn't, so I noticed th if those solver wires touched the main cable it wouldnt start, one I separated those silver wires from the main wire rooooommmt it starts right away. Thanks!!! I just cant let my baby die!!!!
Attachments
312451866_481692960665657_4296226070118384396_n.jpg

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”