Mountains and cvt.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I just got to Myrtle beach for 2 weeks and wanted to post the temps I got on my scanguage 2. Pretty uneventful leaving northern Ohio, flat land, 75-80 mph with an ambient temp of 68. Cvt temp was 170. When I hit West Virginia the temps out side were pushing 85 and the hills started getting bigger and cvt was reading around 185. Fluid only has around 10k, if that and Has been 75% replaced through drain and fills. Car is an 18 with 55k. At one point climbing an elevation that was 3500 to the top I hit 205 for a minute. By the time I rolled into town I was 188-195 consistently. No noise or performance issues and I doubt 205 for a second is a concern, but I’ll for sure be doing a spill and fill when I get home. All in all not terrible for taking on some big mountains loaded with luggage, golf clubs and 3 adults. Based off what my tech said, 279 degrees is the your in “big trouble” spot on these things. This is the 4th year her rogue made this drive so I’m sure the temps were the same before.. just now it’s confirmed.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:dblthumb:

FlawleZ
Car: 1992 Nissan 300ZX TT
1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
2017 Nissan Titan SV 4x4

What's the highest ambient Temps up there? Were regularly at 100-102F here in San Antonio. Makes me wonder what the CVT in my wife's 2015 Juke is sitting at. Thanks for sharing!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Anyone who does mountain driving in hot weather would do well to add an auxiliary radiating cooler. If you're in a place with 4 seasons, add a thermostatic H-valve (or get a cooler with one built in). That's the setup I have on our '13 Altie, and the only time I ever see the H-valve crack is going up Mount Petit Jean or Mount Nebo. But then I'm very glad I have it, the CVT temp hits about 190 and won't go higher no matter how hard I push it. You only need the extra cooling in circumstances where the engine cooling system and tranny are both working flat out and the heat exchanger isn't enough, but mountainsides in summer definitely qualify.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Ohio will hit 90s all summer long but the northern part is nothing but farmland. I hit 170-180 in the foothills of the appalachians in southern Ohio and northern WV topping out at 205 going through the big stuff. That was when big rigs were in the right lane doing 15mph. After that I averaged 188-195 but I was also hammering down pretty good. I couldn’t imagine the outcome if I believed the idiots at Nissan and had fluid that actually had 55k on it believing it was ok. I drained and filled with eneos several times, the most recent being a triple fill last summer. I’ll speak to the dealer about a cooler and have them do it so any extended cvt warranty is covered. Take some white out and replace the recommended cvt service to every 15k. I did take my 21 Altima last year and the cvt never went above 180 but it’s a lighter vehicle and just had the wife and I and light luggage. I was loaded for bear this time. Strangely ambient temp doesn’t really seem to effect much as I’ve tracked this rogue going from Ohio to Chicago under similar circumstance in mid summer heat, minus the hills. Temps averaged 170. 205 won’t kill a tranny but 205 and no viscosity would. My techs a good guy but doesn’t think outside the box so any info you can give vstar would give me a leg up here.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

A scanguage 2 or an app of some sort would be your best friend in Texas. Either way if your not spending $50 on fluid every 15k the please do. The fluid gets the snot beat out of it. Nissan extended the warranty on her rogue to 84k so it’s gonna need to grenade soon if it’s going to lol.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:45 am
My techs a good guy but doesn’t think outside the box so any info you can give vstar would give me a leg up here.
Here's a show-and-tell for what I installed on our '13 SL. You can also use a cooler with the bypass H-valve built-in, like a Hayden 1697. Tru-cool makes some built-in units too but they're pricier,
cvt-cooler-with-bypass-show-and-tell-t629444.html

Your '09 may have a 2-port beehive, if so you need to convert to a 4-port to add a cooler. There are 4-ports all over eBay and Amazon and they're in several of my customers' cars without issues, so cheap is fine where those are concerned.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

The rogue in question is a 2018. I called the local Nissan and they said to bring it in and they’d scan it, for $129 of course. He said 205 was hot but not off the charts. I’m reluctant to spend money for the typical “could not duplicate” response. I asked about installing a cooler and he said $450 but they’re having trouble getting parts of course. Sucks cause I’m a ways from home but am still covered to 84k regardless.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

With the '18 still under warranty, you definitely need a unit with a bypass valve. When I asked our TSM about it, that's the only thing he said might be a warranty concern, over-cooling. That's what an H-valve prevents, so if you go aftermarket with a built-in H, there shouldn't be any complaints. He's right that 205 isn't off the charts, especially for a short period. It's enough to generate a CVT-A but not a B, 220F is the "tipping point" where the fluid really starts to oxidize and degrade in a hurry.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I’m gonna try and get Nissan here to install one before I head back. That way if there’s any warranty issues it was installed at a dealer. Does Nissan offer a cooler for this vstar? If so would you be so kind as to provide a part number so I can do their job for them? The advisor I spoke to actually seemed knowledgeable, but was all about the $129 diagnostic fee. I could care less if it needs scanned but I’m more worried about heading off any issues than walking out pissed because they give me the typical dealer BS.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I can ask but I don't think so, the only specific kits I know about were for retrofitting the original 0F10A trannies in the Rogue/Sentra/Altima that had 2-port beehives and no exchangers. I wouldn't trust a dealer to pick out aftermarket hardware, either. Find out what they use and if it doesn't have an H-valve, tell them what my TSM said. Happy to name names on PM if you want.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I’ve got an appointment schedule in the morning to have 1 installed. It’s an oem part and supposedly warrantied coast to coast at any dealership and won’t void the warranty. Also isn’t supposed to interfere with its ability to get up to temp. $1050 out the door. Sounds high as hades to me but piece of mind is piece of mind. I keep my cars for a good long while and I’ve grown to like this thing so hope all goes well. Let me know your thoughts. All I know is thanks to current interest rates is money spent on a used ride is interest saved on a new one.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

And the big cost difference was aftermarket vs oem. Nissan parts list the cooler for around $550. I figured labor and new fluid makes that price unreasonably right.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:25 am
It’s an oem part and supposedly warrantied coast to coast at any dealership and won’t void the warranty. Also isn’t supposed to interfere with its ability to get up to temp. $1050 out the door. Sounds high as hades to me but piece of mind is piece of mind.
I just spoke with Parts and they list no add-on OEM cooler for an '18 Rogue. I think they must be adapting the gen1 kit, which is a big problem because that kit has no valving. Didn't need it because it was the only cooler on the car, from the factory they came with nada, no exchanger, 2-port beehive. So you need to ask them for the Nissan part number for the kit they're installing. I have a bad feeling they're pulling legs to get your business.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Sounds about right. $700 labor for the stealership. :picard:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I was very clear that I live in northern Ohio and overcooling was a big factor. I called after reading Vstars response and he said “let me call Nissans tech line and call you back”. He never did. I’m gonna skip this appointment. I called my dealer back home and he priced me the oil warmer. The tech I deal with back home is a very good one so he’s gonna get to the bottom of it. Bottom line is it’s runs around 180-195 in 90 degree weather on flat land and tops out at 205 in the mountains. That’s warm but not catastrophic. When I get back home I’ll have my local dealer get a cooler on this thing, that way if it over cools I’m local to get it made right. I verified the warranty is to 84k and if it sets a code for overheating that should be enough for Nissan to replace it…hopefully. I swear Nissan techs are trained robots (no offense vstar). I guarantee my local mechanic who’s one of the best, could install an oil cooler in an a few hours with no issues, but then I gotta worry about warranty. If Nissan would get their thumb out of their azzes and do this at the factory they’d save themselves millions of dollar on trannies.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:02 am
I was very clear that I live in northern Ohio and overcooling was a big factor. I called after reading Vstars response and he said “let me call Nissans tech line and call you back”. He never did. I’m gonna skip this appointment.
Good call. It's BS, TechLine won't even talk to you about anything specific without an open or closed ticket for the vehicle.
D1dad wrote:
I verified the warranty is to 84k and if it sets a code for overheating that should be enough for Nissan to replace it.
Not all TCM's have the same parameters, but I think that 205F will have generated a CVT-A.
D1dad wrote:
I swear Nissan techs are trained robots (no offense vstar).
None taken. You're quite right, a lot of techs these days are parts changers. If the codes don't reflect exactly where it hurts, many of them are completely lost.
D1dad wrote:
I guarantee my local mechanic who’s one of the best, could install an oil cooler in an a few hours with no issues, but then I gotta worry about warranty. If Nissan would get their thumb out of their azzes and do this at the factory they’d save themselves millions of dollar on trannies.
Like I said, I'm happy to give you a name if you want to give it to them from the horse's mouth. Have them source one of the Haydens with a built-in H and call it good.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

At this point if you have a part number I’ll just order it and have my local mechanic install it. I can’t believe it’s really this hard for Nissan to install a cooler. Apparently replacing and extending cvt warranties is easier lol. Thanks for all your help. I almost dumped a grand today on something that would have probably turned my fluid to sludge during an Ohio winter.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'd get a Hayden 697, they're all over eBay and Amazon:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165253409347

They don't come with mounts or hardware, but if your guy is good he shouldn't have any problem fabricating what's needed. You can also go the route I took with our Altie. The 512 and others in that series do come with easy mounting and hardware, but you need to buy and plumb an external H-valve. Here's a link to the Hayden website if you want to look over what's available:
https://www.haydenauto.com/en

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:10 am
I can’t believe it’s really this hard for Nissan to install a cooler. Apparently replacing and extending cvt warranties is easier lol.
The problem is that Nissan doesn't make their own kit, but you would think Nissan corporate would approach Hayden or Long and put the stamp of approval on something so there's no warranty confusion. The big problem with failures isn't coolers, though. For most people and most driving, the heat exchangers work fine. It's Nissan not recommending and encouraging proper maintenance, which, as you know by now, puts a major bug up my a$$. I dearly wish they'd change course about it.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Cost of ownership vstar. If that tranny makes it to the warranty period they wash their hands of it. Unfortunately for those who don’t change tranny fluid (no fault of their own) because they doesn’t know any better, they aren’t making it. Then Nissan has no recourse but to extend warranties thus costing millions. My service tech back in Ohio said he had 2 altimas and 1 Sentra in getting cvts replaced. I carry a 14 and 19 mm with me and am gonna stoop by Napa and get 4 qts of eneos and change the fluid before I head back. At 84k if the tranny hasn’t been replaced I’m having an aftermarket cooler installed. I don’t know if they still do but when Honda 1st came out with their cvt they had a 10k tranny service. Fluid was cheap and cost not much more than an oil change.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:38 am
Cost of ownership vstar.
I know, but what's the cost of a poor reputation? It's a foolish short-term philosophy with serious long-term consequences (dang, sounds a bit like a corporate cocaine habit). :mad:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Myrtle beach to Asheville and averaged 180-195, hit 210 at the highest peak. Only for a few minutes and then it quickly cooled down. New fluid seemed quieter but 210 none the less. I wonder how many people are churning these temps and are none the wiser. I had a 20 rogue as a rental in Florida and was hammering that thing in 95 degree heat from Tampa to pensecola. I wish I had my gauge on that trip. I took a video of the temps and I’m gonna visit the dealer when I get back and have him check for temp codes. The service advisor said Nissans being less strict on cvt replacements. They’ve probably been sued so much they’re giving in. Maybe I can piss and moan my way to a new tranny.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:31 am
I took a video of the temps and I’m gonna visit the dealer when I get back and have him check for temp codes. The service advisor said Nissans being less strict on cvt replacements. They’ve probably been sued so much they’re giving in. Maybe I can piss and moan my way to a new tranny.
You can check CVT-A/B yourself, CVTz50 does that. The "CVT Information" button from the main menu accesses it.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I don’t have that set up. I probably need to get it. I’m using a scanguage 2 which will read all codes minus cvt.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Apparently it for android which I don’t have. My tech won’t charge me either way.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's true, CVTz50 is Droid-only. Maybe you can get somebody with a Droid phone to load it up and let you take a look. I frankly don't know if any of the Apple packages let you look at CVT-A/B, maybe somebody else here can help us out.

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

D1dad wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:08 am
Apparently it for android which I don’t have. My tech won’t charge me either way.
Ask your Android friends for an old device when they upgrade, assuming they don't need to turn it in.

Return to “Rogue Forum”