Motul 300V 10w40 daily.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
OM3GA
Car: A Sexy Mobile, 1993 Nissan 240sx 180sx Hatcher

Has anyone used or have heard of anyone using this oil in a daily? It will be for a daily driven SR, i want the best and i have always used Royal Purple but have been hearing that Royal Purple is actually not that great?

I am curious to see what people say about using 300v in a daily driven car.

Just thought i would get some feedback (Hopefully) :ohno:

Razi
Car: Moo

Why not try Amsoil?
It's fantastic oil.

And, you can get a small Nico discount on it!
nico-discount-on-amsoil-t464198.html

I've heard a lot of good things about Motul too, never knew anyone that used the 300V though. :(

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

I've used Motul in bikes before, but I find amsoil easier to find now and use that. Amsoil and Motul are the best lubes out there, so if you dont mind paying double for the oil change then go for it.

OM3GA

As long as there is no problems associated with using 300v in a daily driven (not so much raced) car then i am more than willing to spend the money on it. I want the best and how much it costs does not matter but i also do not want to pay a lot and end up ruining my engine because i wasn't supposed to use this type of oil.

DanThaMan
Car: 1993 240sx

as long as it has ZDDP, I'll run it. Since Royal P is cheaper for me (I get it for cost at work :biggrin: ) I use it

disrupt
Car: 2006 TRD Tacoma, 1992 240sx coupe

I have been using motul 8100 5w-30 in my engine and motul 75w-90 molygear oil in my differentials and transfer case for 170000 km in my 06 tacoma. I pull a 4500lbs trailer across the Rockies in Canada. It has been good to me.

Email motul. They will be able to answer this question. Let us know what you find out. I want to run it in my RB26...

OM3GA

I will be looking into it a lot more. I want to run the best oil, the cost does not matter at all because it is hardly more expensive than anything else. The critical thing is that it can be ran in a daily driven car and used like normal oil. I change it every 2-3000 miles no matter what it is but i want to make sure i am not going to destroy my engine because i chose to run the "best" oil.

I have been running Royal Purple 10w40 forever and can continue running that but if there is something better i would rather use it instead.

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Amsoil in test is a lot better then Royal Purple, just check out testing results. Motul and Amsoil are very very close in most area's. So yeah I would check that out as it is a little easier to source.

OM3GA

Yeah i hear a lot of things are better than Royal Purple. I just know i have used RP for years with no issues. I talked to one of the Motul guys and they said you can use the 300V in a daily but the change intervals have to be done more often than normal Synthetic. I have also heard that if the car sits for "some period of time" the oil starts to break down. I am not sure how long the car would have to sit for this to happen but it is definitely scary haha.

More often i have been seeing that you can use racing oil everyday but you must change it more often. Maybe this is fine? I am just paranoid and need proof.

OutToWinPAHC

allenms240
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

How is mobil1 compared to these guys?

Lobo240sx
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe SR2.35DET Redtop Build

Go Amsoil or go home.

DanThaMan
Car: 1993 240sx

mobil 1 is not very good for our engines. They took out all the extreme pressure additives because they can hurt catalytic converters... since KA24 is flat tappet (cam on bucket) they generally need stuff like ZDDP and all the other additives that are starting to be removed from oil. Pretty much most oils you buy at autozone aren't gonna have this stuff in them anymore unless you get a CJ-4 plus rated oil

Speckid4
Car: 1995 240sx
1993 240sx

Curious to hear what Motul says, let us know!

Those are good reads^^

RWD_PURIST
Car: 1997 180SX TYPE-X

I Found this online, proof enough for you?

"How is an oil with a TBN of 11.1 not suitable for daily driving? I use it my 180SX, since I can't keep myself from hammering it. And since I only change my oil twice a year, price is no big deal to me. I spend around $65 for oil changes. I'm gonna do a UOA in November. Here's the VOA I did some time ago."

RWD_PURIST

Some more personal opinions: Just man up to it and run the best.. :yesnod

"Never had a problem with it in the Motul 300V 5w-40 Biosynthese in my '98 Subaru Impreza. Ran it from about 150K to about 204K miles @ 3.5K OCI's...this was a daily driver/autocross car. Never had any smoke or oil consumption, it was great."

"It is safe to use, but not cost effective unless it cures or lessens a problem that less expensive and more cost effective oils don't." - Price doesn't matter for you so go for it..

"I've been using the Motul 300V for a good 4yrs+ (Daily drive plus trackdays) with no issues whatsoever."

"I've been told by my mechanics that royal purple will degrade the quality of seals if used more than once."

"I've use the Motul 300V Power Racing 5W-30 grade for the past 4 years and have no complains especially with maintaining oil temperatures on the track and hard winding road use. The only downside is, the oil needs to be more frequently changed out to ensure it's performing at it's optimal range. I make an oil change and oil filter change every 2500KMs instead of the usual intervals."

"Started using Motul 8100 earlier this year and was raving over the decrease in engine noise (friction) and oil usage. I did some reading and decided to give it a shot. The 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 I used seemed to run smoother but oil usage didn't decrease. George also mentioned in a later thread he was considering the Motul 300V.

This week I changed to the Motul 300V "Power" 5W-40, and the decrease in friction is unbelievable. I have only hit 60 mph in 2nd gear (GT) a few times during the past 5+ years because the engine felt like it was about to throw a piston through the hood. After the 300V fill, I drove around 20 minutes or so, then hit it from 1st to 2nd. The engine smoothly reached 6500 rpms while in 2nd gear, speed was about 55 mph. I pushed it a little more in 2nd hitting 62 mph with no problem. The engine was smooth as silk. Performance increased through all gears.

The 300V is racing oil and probably shouldn't be used all the time due to lack of detergent additives (not true). I would certainly use it for running the quarter or for a track day. My EGT was probably 100 deg lower than usual as well. This stuff is like liquid power. The difference between the 300V and Mobil 1 is night and day. 300V is an ester based oil (100% synthetic) and is quite expensive at $15/quart. I just wanted to see how good it performed. So far, it is way above any motor oil I've been around. We used ester based oils for turbine lubrication due to the extremely low shear rate and longevity. The sound of the R engine above 6000 rpm with this oil reminded me of the turbines running similar lubrication."

"I think Motul 300V is great for our cars. I use 5W40, the engine sound is better than previous used Mobil1 0W40 or 5W50. 300V is developed for racing cars. For street use we need short intervals (6months/5000km max.)"

OM3GA

Haha, i have also read all of this. I do think it is great stuff i just hear soo many random things about it.

"Running race oil on the streets makes the oil temps higher unless you are really beating on it"

I mean hearing that almost does not make sense but who knows.

RWD_PURIST

You're always going to hear random things about anything you look up online. Doesn't matter what product it is, there's always going to be some twit(s) out there who are going to make a comment or opinion that may not agree with your frame of thought. That's where we, as the end user, have to filter through all these results\opinions\bull$hit, weigh in the accuracy of those results\opinions\bull$hit, and make our OWN conclusions based on all the information we've gathered.

Tell me what do you expect to obtain from this thread? The Nissan Gods aren't going to sneak a little note under your doorstep telling you its fine to use this fluid. You are going to have to make that decision on your own.. :dblthumb: We're here to help give you our opinions and experiences and hopefully that helps.

Oh and by the way, that comment makes absolutely no sense to me, but maybe someone else can elaborate on how running a race oil will lead to higher temps just because you're not beating on it.. That just sounds absurd, but I'm no chemical engineer.. :crazy:

Return to “240sx General Discussion”