Motortrend review of used j30's

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
InfinitiFreak101
Car: 1997 J30t

Is this review fair & accurate?

http://motortrend.com/buyersgu...1_pre/

Infiniti's new G35 isn't the marque's first venture into the rear-drive midsize midluxury-sedan marketplace. A decade ago, there was the J30, a round-rumped, nicely built entry that attempted to go head to head against segment sales leaders like Lexus' ES 300 and Acura's Legend.

Marketed as a sporty four-door with an impressive list of standard equipment, the $36,000-base priced J30 used a DOHC 3.0-liter/210-horsepower V-6 mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. Options included a "t" (or touring) package, including upgraded tires on custom alloy wheels, a rear spoiler, stiffer spring rates, HICAS four-wheel steering, and a smaller anti-roll bar diameter.advertisement

Unfortunately, the J30's width of 69.7 inches and a full-size driveshaft tunnel diminished interior room, resulting in a tight back seat for three adults. Those up front found supportive seats and quality materials.

Two other areas tended to cause problems, as well, both isolated to '93 models: interference with cellular phones due to the Bose amplifier and intermittent hot air flowing from the heating and air-conditioning system.

The rounded contours weren't everyone's cup of tea, and the styling took its toll on trunk space. The V-6 makes adequate power, but proved thirsty. Urban driving usually gave mileage in the high teens, highway cruising in the low 20s. In '94, front-seat heaters were made standard, and in '95 new taillight lenses were installed. For '96, just a few colors were introduced, and even with prices slashed, the market just didn't warm to the 'tweener Infiniti. Nonetheless, we recommend the "t" model, as it's the sportiest and nicest driving of the Js.

1993-1997 Infiniti J30 WHAT'S HOT· Rear-drive poise· Tight body structure· Premium nameplate

WHAT'S NOT· Narrow cabin· Smallish trunk· Headroom challenged

Only one recall was issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, on '93-'94 J30s, involving a wiring harness cover that may catch fire when the seatbelt pretensioner is triggered. A number of Technical Service Bulletins were applicable to each year, so buyers should visit NHTSA.dot.gov to get particulars for specific years.

Yesterday's sales turkey is today's bargain, and a clean low mileage J30 will serve you well until you're ready to order up that new G35.

Jesda

Absolutely!

I almost bought a green J30 a couple years ago. It was exquisitely refined, competent, and luxurious. I liked all the little touches that gave it an ambience of high class. I actually liked the cozy interior. I'm not particularly tall (5'8") but not short either, so it fit me like a glove for a nearly perfect driving position. In the Q I have to sit up close and up high to feel properly positioned.

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

Believe it or not, I've never seen a J30 with a ripped up interior like I see on a lot of older Q's. I didn't know the J30's had HICAS with their "t" model... ya learn something every day.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I agree with that review...

Its basically a baby Q45.... Not quite a Q45 in about every aspect....

1993TanJ30
Car: 1993 J30

Everything is accurate!!!

I bought my car from an old lady, she was probably around 85 years old! She was the original owner, and I love my J30. When your just cruising around, the ride is so smooth, cabin quiet, etc.

There are some cons, listed above, but what do you expect!? I only paid $2900 for mine! Near-perfect interior, runs great, etc - no complaints here.

If you can find a nice deal on a J30, I'd definately pickup a "BABY Q"

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

My J30t with HICAS is pretty amazing. It corners like it was on rails driving at high speeds through tight curves and switchbacks. I've overtaken many Bimmers and other high end cars. The looks on their faces are hilarious.

1993TanJ30
Car: 1993 J30

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”