Motor swap

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
mgrotts
Car: 2003 Nissan Frontier Crew cab 4x4 w/ VG33er & supercharger

I have a 2003 frontier SC 3.3 vg33er with 4 wheel drive. The motor went out but I found a salvaged 2003 Xterra vg33er SC with 2 wheel drive. My question is can i just drop in the xterra engine and bolt up to the 4x4 transmission in my frontier? The motors look identical but b4 i waste my time I thought I would ask you guys. I appreciate any help you can give me.

mgrotts

I didn't get any replies or helpful suggestions but I did manage to figure it out with a combination of other forum help similar to my questions and situation and looking thru uTube videos. I successfully pulled and put in the xterra 3.3 SC despite it being originally on a 2 wheel drive vehicle. It bolted right in my 4 wheel drive frontier without pulling the tranny or dropping the front differential or axles. Unbolt the torque converter and bell housing, disconnect wiring harness, tranny cooling lines, and a few vacuum lines and AC hookups and you're good to go. Hoist it up and out with a few yanks and she slides right out of there. Oil sump clears the front differential and out of there! Thanks for all the past posts to others if not to me....

mgrotts

I didn't get any replies or helpful suggestions but I did manage to figure it out with a combination of other forum help similar to my questions and situation and looking thru uTube videos. I successfully pulled and put in the xterra 3.3 SC despite it being originally on a 2 wheel drive vehicle. It bolted right in my 4 wheel drive frontier without pulling the tranny or dropping the front differential or axles. Unbolt the torque converter and bell housing, disconnect wiring harness, tranny cooling lines, and a few vacuum lines and AC hookups and you're good to go. Hoist it up and out with a few yanks and she slides right out of there. Oil sump clears the front differential and out of there! Thanks for all the past posts to others if not to me....

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”