Motor died, what should I do?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
coazoni
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 6MT

Got an Infinti G35 6MT 2006

I just bought a G35 for $1500 with 224,xxx miles on it. The motor was still strong and the gears all shifted nicely. My mechanic told me to not burn the clutch as it was close to dying out. I managed to shift smoothly after a couple of days of learning cuz i wanted to treat the car right and make it last. Learned rev matching & downshifting too and started messing with it but had a few errors in the process of learning but managed to catch on.

So after a week of driving the g35, the car just suddenly died on the highway and I had to pull over. It happened after I was cruising at 70 mph on 5th gear, the car suddenly made noises below the center console area kinda below the shifter. It was like whirring, so I shifted back to 6th gear and the car was still making the strange noise underneath the shifter. The noise continued for a good minute or two until the vehicle just died out mid-driving. The steering wheel got harder to turn too.

My mechanic tells me the motor is locked due to the front end not turning. He also told me the oil was fine too even though it needed an oil change soon. He says I may have shifted wrong to have caused the engine to lock up which is a bummer to me because I've been practicing the shifts and treated the car like gold. I thought smooth shifting = prolonged life. But anyways, he says he'll charge me 500 to replace the engine (labor) but tells me he personally doesn't think it's worth it. However, I think the car is very beautiful and fun to drive.

What do you guys think caused my engine to die on me? Did i really f*** it up? :bs: What route should I take from here. A new vehicle or fix the engine for most likely under $2000. The vehicle has very high mileage unfortunately. Opinions, questions, insights or anything would be great

coazoni
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 6MT

The car just clicks when you try to turn it on, battery was changed to but nothing. Just one click that comes from the engine each time you turn the key.

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey sedan

Unless you over-revved the engine by downshifting to too low a gear it is unlikely that shifting caused your engine to lock up. If the oil was old, as in age not miles, it could've broken down to the point of not lubricating as it should. However, if it were locking up as you drove it I'd expect you to feel very sudden deceleration, which you don't describe in your post.

All that said, in my opinion, unless you can find another car in better condition for the same money then I'd go with the engine transplant. $2000 all in is pretty good.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

If the engine is truly locked up, then yes, you're going to need an engine swap (a low-mileage takeout motor shouldn't be hard to source, make sure you get the ECU with it as well). You can put in a fresh clutch while you're at it, and if you can get that done anywhere south of $3k, you're good to go.

DenisMcG
Car: 2009 Infiniti FX50

With noises that you heard in the center console area, I would be more inclined to think that the clutch went out. It could also be the throw-out bearing. I think that something in the clutch has broken and has locked the motor. I would pull the transmission and look there first.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

coazoni wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:35 pm
Got an Infinti G35 6MT 2006

I just bought a G35 for $1500 with 224,xxx miles on it. The motor was still strong and the gears all shifted nicely. My mechanic told me to not burn the clutch as it was close to dying out. I managed to shift smoothly after a couple of days of learning cuz i wanted to treat the car right and make it last. Learned rev matching & downshifting too and started messing with it but had a few errors in the process of learning but managed to catch on.

So after a week of driving the g35, the car just suddenly died on the highway and I had to pull over. It happened after I was cruising at 70 mph on 5th gear, the car suddenly made noises below the center console area kinda below the shifter. It was like whirring, so I shifted back to 6th gear and the car was still making the strange noise underneath the shifter. The noise continued for a good minute or two until the vehicle just died out mid-driving. The steering wheel got harder to turn too.

My mechanic tells me the motor is locked due to the front end not turning. He also told me the oil was fine too even though it needed an oil change soon. He says I may have shifted wrong to have caused the engine to lock up which is a bummer to me because I've been practicing the shifts and treated the car like gold. I thought smooth shifting = prolonged life. But anyways, he says he'll charge me 500 to replace the engine (labor) but tells me he personally doesn't think it's worth it. However, I think the car is very beautiful and fun to drive.

What do you guys think caused my engine to die on me? Did i really f*** it up? :bs: What route should I take from here. A new vehicle or fix the engine for most likely under $2000. The vehicle has very high mileage unfortunately. Opinions, questions, insights or anything would be great
It is entirely possible that your engine seized perhaps due to the oil not being changed on a regular basis?
Remove all plugs and see if the engine will crank with the spark plugs out.
If you decide to keep the vehicle find a shop that rebuilds engines rather than swapping another used engine that may also have issues.
Good luck

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

DenisMcG wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:43 am
With noises that you heard in the center console area, I would be more inclined to think that the clutch went out. It could also be the throw-out bearing. I think that something in the clutch has broken and has locked the motor. I would pull the transmission and look there first.
Good catch, that sounds very likely. Could've lost a flywheel bolt that's now caught in the mechanism, too, but something inside the bell sounds like the right track.

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey sedan

Just curious if you resolved this issue.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”