*Mostly* Original series 2a 180sx

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Mac-N_Cheese
Car: 1991 Nissan 180SX

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to see what everyone thinks of my 180sx. I recently discovered https://gtr-registry.com/en-180sx-rps13.php#VINRanges and found I can type in the Vin of my 180 and found all the factory details off the lot and it all matches. I found this very interesting as it indicates she has the original KH3 black paint with factory "super fine coating" clear coat. I always thought this was an aftermarket clear coat. Its described in the specs as "(M) Fluorocarbon Resin Coating". The vin also indicated she's 1 of 10331 Series 2a rps13's made in japan, and 1 of 7543 manuals, and 1 of 3060 manuals with the KH3 black paint.

Now maybe I'm biased because I've been the only owner in Canada and there's some sentimental value here, however it feels like maybe she's special? You don't see many 180s with original body or paint very often.. Frontline imports brought her over back in 2007 and I watched her roll out of the sea can in absolute mint condition... over the years I've dinged her up a little here and there with some ware and tare however I know where all the damage is from. Never been in an accident and from what I can tell its the original body on the chassis, with original paint, original sr20 with t25 turbo. I was reading you can find a serial number on the SR but haven't found it and I don't know how I could verify its original. Brought over with 125xxx km and now sits at 190xxx from over the years of very very enjoyable driving. I've made some slight modifications over the years, (replaced the transmission) and while it was enjoyable to mod and drive I do wish now I left her all as is. BUT, I don't regret how much fun I've had over the years. She's starting to burn some oil, and I don't know if its the turbo or head gasket going, and have been waiting for the day to put a little money into her and get her back up to where she used to be. With the current market I cant help wonder what I might get for her if I sold, just not sure if I could actually go through with it. If enough was offered I would consider it haha

Interested to see what you all think! See pictures below - I blurred out the vin just because I've seen other places do it, not sure why as vin's are usually public. Pictures are all recent from this summer and you can see how well this paint still shines up today 30 years later...

https://imgur.com/a/kS3NYre

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

That's pretty neato. Welcome to NICO!
I had never heard of that "super fine coating" clear coat, but it definitely looks good on your car.
Can you still import those fairly easily? Or has the import market gone through the roof as well?

Mac-N_Cheese
Car: 1991 Nissan 180SX

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:33 pm
That's pretty neato. Welcome to NICO!
I had never heard of that "super fine coating" clear coat, but it definitely looks good on your car.
Can you still import those fairly easily? Or has the import market gone through the roof as well?
Hello! And thank you :)
From what I'm seeing they range from 20k usd to 50k usd depending on condition and km. I am noticing the old originals are moving up in price and what appears to be whats coming over now. And it's very limited, there's not a whole lot for sale anywhere, so I was just curious what people on here thought who might know more than my self. A few years back they were coming here to Canada by the boat load, but with such limited numbers and the history of the car making them notorious drift builds its no wonder they're being more scarce.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”