most of an E1 engine available

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
guppytrucker

Hi. I have owned up to five of these trucks at one time, but sold my last one a couple of years ago. I also restored a couple of roadsters, one frame offed, but they too are gone. I have in my possession one E1 engine that I would like to get into the hands of some nice guy who is trying to restore an NL to original. I was headed that way with a daily driver that was equipped with a J13 so took this engine in to have it rebuilt, and the rebuilder discovered that it had a crack in the crank shaft. I found another crank and have it as well. The rebuilder charged me $150 to disassemble the engine and that is a far as it got. I paid that and now have the engine in my garage. It would be nice to get that back, but it won't kill the deal if I cannot. I just don't want to take it to metal salvage place. Anyone interested please get ahold of me and see what we can work out. I live in southwestern Oregon. The serial number is E1 493610. I have pictures of the parts and will post them if there is a way on this site. Thanks

guppytrucker

Image[/URL]

waynosworld

I wish you were closer, I live in Vancouver WA.
You make rocking chairs?

deerio
Car: '63 L320

I'd take it as well but unfortunately I'm in Seattle...

difrangia
Car: 1978 Datsun 620 'Longbed', 1964 NL320, 1961 FIAT 500D, 1964 Type 113 Beetle, 79 Ford Festiva

The rockers & forming jig caught my eye also. Interesting what you can spy-out in the periphery of the main item of a photo sometimes.

Steve

guppytrucker

waynosworld, I would meet you half way if that would make a difference. Yes guys I am making rockers. Actually I found two nice oak chairs in a dumpster recently and decided to make them into rockers. (I was at a job site, not doing random dumpster diving) My neighbor builds rockers so he loaned me his rail jig. I think it's cool that you guys new what you were looking at. You both are invited to stop in Roseburg and stay here with my wife and I. Though we are five miles from the freeway, we can see it from atop the 500 foot hill we live on. It's an easy on/off place to stop for a meal or to spend the night in comfortable accommodations.

waynosworld

It wasn't much of a stretch guessing rocking chair parts, especially with a couple wood chairs in the back ground.
The jig is what made me think you were making rocking chairs, you don't see stuff like that anymore, that's old school, a mostly forgotten art except for the very few that have forgotten more than I will ever know.
The engine is not something I need, I just seen a few things that you don't want to throw away, I don't see any future trips that far south for a while.
Do you know the year that the transmission adapter plate is from, was it a floor shift or column shift transmission plate?

difrangia
Car: 1978 Datsun 620 'Longbed', 1964 NL320, 1961 FIAT 500D, 1964 Type 113 Beetle, 79 Ford Festiva

Guppytrucker,

Wouldn't have the starter with integral solenoid from that engine, would you?

We're watching news on the tragedy occuring there today. Hoping and praying that you and all your family and friends are safe.

Steve

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'd be all over it if I was closer as well, GT. Good looking out for the rest of us 320 owners!

I've got every intention of using a J crank in mine (already have the pistons). Good luck, brother - glad to have you aboard.

guppytrucker

I don't know which plate it is, because I had several parts trucks I picked along the way, and it was in one of them. I know that one of those trucks was a NL 320, the others were not, but I think it did come out of the NL. I gave those two trucks to a nice kid here locally and he put them in his back yard. I know of the location of two other trucks, or at least two that had been where they are for decades, (ten years ago), without having been moved. One is about 5 hours away, the other is 40 miles away but buried under a pile of black berries, and the owner is not cool with anyone looking it over.
Sorry Steve, I let everything go to a guy that I am sorry I did. I did have an extra starter from an N.L. It's funny, I don't miss my two award winning roadsters, but I do miss my guppy truck, (my name for it because I always thought that it was to a truck, what a guppy is to a fish, not meant to be disparaging at all). I had a great time with it the couple of years I used it for my daily driver.
Waynosworld, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question about the plate. I'd be happy to take a closer picture if you want me to. Also, I will mail it to you if you like. Heck, pay the freight and I'll send anything you see in the pile, to anyone who wants me to, (except the guy who bought my truck.) I don't want to throw this stuff out, but I really don't have room to store it. I'm in Roseburg.

waynosworld

I pulled my very early 1966 520 adapter plate for a floor shift 4 speed, your plate looks like mine, so I would say don't throw that plate out, the trouble is that one needs to find someone that needs that plate to unload it, Steve I believe was looking for one at one point, he was also looking for a flywheel of the same era, it makes me wonder what flywheel you have there also, the issue for me is that I don't need these parts, although I could use the flywheel as a backup, I just know that when one needs these parts, they are hard to find.
Can you take a photo of the flywheel with a tape measure stretched across the clutch cover side from one side to the other?

adam_schmitt
Car: 1968 Datsun 520

I'd be interested in taking the cylinder head off your hands! PM me is you would be willing to sell it to me (a nice guy who is trying to restore his 520, but has a bad cylinder head).

waynosworld

OK Mr Guppytrucker, I wonder if you can get a few photos for me, as mentioned I would like a photo of the flywheel with the tape measure across it if possible, another one of the plate where I can see all of it, and another one of the clutch disc where I can see the teeth where the transmission shaft goes thru it, thankyou. wayne

Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

yeah, that clutch disc looks to be a 24-toother, could this be a floor shift engine with that clutch dics? Did not know the E1 came in any 520 - kind of a step backwards to swap in an "older" E1 for the J13.

wayno - if you need a clutch disc rebuilt Kay-Cee rebuilder did my disc for $55. I was impressed when I saw a Mustang Cobra Jet disc on the table when I walked in, not to mention several 3ft disc from Caterpillar Bulldozer, excavator, and a few other ginormous earth movers . Taking down my PLG 222 brake shoe and disc next week for rebuild.

Kay Cee Clutch Rebuilders  
Car Repair and Maintenance
Address: 1815 Charlotte St, Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone:(816) 842-7398

waynosworld

What I believe happened is that the very early 520(65 build dates) came with the same type transmission as the very late 1965 Datsun 320 floor shift model had, so when I think that someone has late 320/very early 520 floor shift parts, I say don't scrap them, the flywheel/clutch parts, transmission adapter, the 320 transmission tunnel, the transmission with the throw out bearing collar and arm, rear transmission mount, and the starter all need to be saved for someone that wants to convert from a column shift to a floor shift.
Personally if I convert the drive train in a 320 from stock to something else, I will use either a J15 engine/transmission, or I will convert over to a A15 engine/5 spd. out of a Datsun b210/210, I am not going to bother trying to find all the parts to keep the E1 engine or transmission going.
Around here we had a company called "Otts Friction Supply" to do all the rebuilding of clutch discs and brake shoes, but the last time I drove by they had closed, I will miss that place. :frown:

Li'l Truckie wrote:yeah, that clutch disc looks to be a 24-toother, could this be a floor shift engine with that clutch dics? Did not know the E1 came in any 520 - kind of a step backwards to swap in an "older" E1 for the J13.

wayno - if you need a clutch disc rebuilt Kay-Cee rebuilder did my disc for $55. I was impressed when I saw a Mustang Cobra Jet disc on the table when I walked in, not to mention several 3ft disc from Caterpillar Bulldozer, excavator, and a few other ginormous earth movers . Taking down my PLG 222 brake shoe and disc next week for rebuild.

Kay Cee Clutch Rebuilders  
Car Repair and Maintenance
Address: 1815 Charlotte St, Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone:(816) 842-7398

Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

What I believe happened is that the very early 520(65 build dates) came with the same type transmission as the very late 1965 Datsun 320 floor shift model had, so when I think that someone has late 320/very early 520 floor shift parts, I say don't scrap them, the flywheel/clutch parts, transmission adapter, the 320 transmission tunnel, the transmission with the throw out bearing collar and arm, rear transmission mount, and the starter all need to be saved for someone that wants to convert from a column shift to a floor shift.
I believe this is correct. Late smooth case 320 floor transmissions into the 520. Beyond a few parts and seals if any of the internals on the column shift go bad - keep a few parts and let you kid tear it apart.

Column shift parts list is here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/113742723 ... datetaken/

I've been trolling craigslist for quite sometime watching for a somewhat local 520 (that's right Steve, as far south as OKC, Tulsa, Stillwater etc, etc. :bigthumb: ) One did come up a few years ago, but did not know what I know now, so obviously missed this opportunity.

I've also been on the look out for a MGA and 1500 roadster transmission (as well as a part/rust bucket 1500) in order to see if you can swap out the internals to the column shift. John and Glenn at NorthTown Transmission say it might be possible and if so would take around 4 hours of labor @ $125 per hour. Sorry, I have other priorities at this time.

Andy

difrangia

Don't know about the gear ratios, but what I've seen to be the difference in the late 320 and early 520 'Top Loader' transmission is the rear mounts. 320 has a mount on each side that bolts to a bracket coming forward from the rear crossmember and 520 has mount under the tailshaft that sits on a crossmember. The 410/411 sedans from this period use the same floor shift transmission. All the tailshafts have the bosses for either rear mount, at the factory they just machined the boss/bosses to suit the installation intended. The top load trany was used in builds to about September 65 and replaced by the bottom load trany with stamped steel plate. The shifter is about four inches further rearward on the bottom pan trany than the top load trany. I believe that 320 floor will require considerable surgery to use any floor shift trany besides the top load one that was built into them. Clutches and pressure plates are still available for the top load trany; as of today, anyway.

I may be wrong, but some of the roadsters may have used the top load case with a different top (shifter) casting to place the shift lever further rearward. I stand to be corrected, as I know virtually nothing of roadsters.

Steve

waynosworld

What is sad is that I had a 1965 floor shift 320, and all the parts were scrapped, it was before I knew what I had, I bought the whole truck for $250.00 with a blown head(way overheated, big cracks in head), but it was all there, I scrapped the engine/transmission, and then put an A15/dogleg 5 speed in it, I had a lot of fun driving it till a kid came around a corner going really fast and hit me head on, I wasn't even moving, I seen him coming and stopped, but it was to late to do anything about it.
Here it is after the tow truck dropped it off.
Here it is after I straightened it out the best I could, sold it a little while later.

guppytrucker

Sorry guys, but I've been out of town for a few days. I'll read over your requests again and will be happy to do as you ask. I'm really glad to help if I can. Thanks for getting back with me. Wayne, I might even save all of this stuff and bring it to you as I pass through your area in route to family in Seattle, so that it is at least in the hands of a knowledgeable 320 truck guy who will help others with what he doesn't need. Anyway, I'll get the requested pictures put up tomorrow if I get the chance. Good on you all for unselfishly preserving this unique little piece of history.

flaggoni
Car: 1964 L320, 1968/69 nissan patrol
Various Lambretta and Moto Guzzi

That's a generous offer on that E1 ! Like others, wish I were closer. I'm in Tulsa, OK. The crankshaft is the piece most needed...mine suddenly became a "two-piece" crank a few years ago. I swapped parts from my project truck engine, so I'm still driving, but will eventually need a crank for the project truck.
Could the crank be separated and shipped this way?
Thanks, Mild Bill

trakker199i
Car: 1963/64 1200 320

Guppytrucker,
I know this is a old post but I figured it wouldn't hurt to check to see if you kept or still have the motor.
R/
Trakker199i

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

trakker199i wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:49 am
Guppytrucker,
I know this is a old post but I figured it wouldn't hurt to check to see if you kept or still have the motor.
R/
Trakker199i
:facepalm:
The OP hasn't logged onto the forum since Saturday October 10, 2015 (six years ago).

As a general rule, any item offered for sale that hasn't had any activity for a year or more should be considered as unavailable.

Topic closed.

Return to “Datsun 320”