Mossberg 500 question

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

I got the version of this gun with the 18.5" barrel and the 5 round magazine tube. I want to upgrade the capacity to the 7 round tube but because of the barrel design you would have to replace the barrel to do it.

apparently there was/is a version of the 500 with a 20" barrel that allowed the longer mag tube to be used and came to flush with it, but i can't find this barrel anywhere. any ideas where i can find it?

thanks in advance.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

on most of the 500's, because of how the barrel screws on, you can't add an extension to the gun.

with say an 870 or a Winchester, the magazine isn't really capped, the barrel screws into essentially a threaded pipe.

on teh mossy, it's pretty much sealed off and won't allow a shell to pass through the hole that the barrel bolts into.

I personally don't like the extensions...some of them have a tendency to back out under recoil.

as for ordering a barrel, check with Brownell's or Cheaperthandirt.com (that's where I got my shortie barrel)

honestly though, I'd just keep the 18.5 barrel on it, it's a little easier to negotiate in a house and you better hope you don't need the extra two or three shots you'll get from the extension.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”