More performance issues

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
tkrolo
Car: CARS, sports, a/v

About a month or so ago, I was having minor problems with sluggish acceleration and occasional surging.My ecu was reading 21 and 33(?). In an attempt to repair any possible culprits, I changed the 02 sensor, the PCV valve, and the cap and rotor. Because the car was running rich, I adjusted the timing a little in advance.

For whatever reason, my performance problems have actually increased. VERY sluggish!!!

It seems to run much better before it warms up so I am unsure what components I should begin with. I thought about the fuel pump, but since it is running rich, I think the problem lies elsewhere. I'm still getting readings for the ignition circuit and the 02 sensor.

Also, my A/C has started acting up. The light always comes on but the unit doesn't always engage. Sometimes it engages and still doens't blow cold air; sometimes it does.

I NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP!!!

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

I too had the error code 21 from my car recently. At first, it had MAJOR hesitation above 3k rpms. Eventually, it led to where the car wouldn't accelerate at all. Turned out, my distributor was going bad, somehow. Replaced it, no more codes. AND DO NOT LET THE DEALER REPLACE THE DISTRIBUTOR. LOL. Because it will end up costing you around $750.

Jusepi97sx
Car: S14's

i'm having the same problem with the a/c.. it seems to work some days better then others.. but not work as it really should.. i'll turn it on and for a moment it'll blow out cold air, then hot air. I am guessing the gas leaked out of it somehow, which really sucks because i replaced a line last summer and got it refilled.. what a waste of money.. i haven't had it chekced tho.. i hope its just that and not the compresor.. that can turn out to be a lot more expensive...

as for the sluggishness, i too have days where the acceleration feels slow. i am due for a tune up so i hope that makes it go away. you said you changed the pvc vaulve.. how long did it take you to change it? (S14 i mean) i bought it and its still sitting there, cuz for starters i can't even locate it on the engine.. what has to be disembled on the engine to change it?

tkrolo

It is a big pain in the a**!!! I own an s13 but I am positive they are in the same location. I ended up taking the alternator down to get to it.

Most likely it is covered with oil residue so it would pay off to have some carb cleaner and try to clean off the assembly first.If you look over the throttle body (after removing the air intake)from the passenger side, you should see the oil seperator that it is screwed into. The bad thing is that the pcv valve faces the firewall, and it is nearly impossible to get a wrench on it straight. If you put your hand on the throttle position sensor and then take it straight across to the block, you should be touching the oil seperator. Moving your hand straight back towards the firewall you should feel the hose that is connected to the pcv valve.

I didn't do it on my own. I had a mechanic friend of mine helping. The worst thing is that I think it was still working properly!! I am guessing it took us around an hour and a half or so. You may want to take the top coolant hose off to gain room to work. There is also a post at 240.org but the images are hard to make out. Once you've done it they make more sense. Good luck!!!

tkrolo

bump

240SXer
Car: 1995 240sx SE (2jz powered)

Sounds like what my 91 does. I can't figure it out either. I think after i'm done trying to troubleshoot i'll take it to nissan and have them tell me what's wrong with it so I can fix it.

David.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”