More 450sx vh45det pictures

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
Jeff Taylor
Car: '96 240sx, VH45DET, 819wHP

Over the past few months I have been working out some of the quirks in my setup. There's still a lot more left to do, but I figured I would post some current pictures of what I have thus far.

The engine is currently at only 6psi, which last put down 446 wHP, and running a decent 7.30 @ 96mph in the 1/8. I have been accumulating the components for my new fuel system, and should have it up and running on 1600cc injectors and E85 in a couple of months.

The engine is now running an a honda's AEM EMS (30-1010 box), using 4 coil drivers in a wasted-spark configuration, a motorola 7-bar MAP sensor, Ford temp sensor, and stock vh45de CAS. The engine's running great in every aspect. I ditched the chipped stock ECU because I wasn't able to tune the engine in real-time. Instead of the time and grief associated with burning eproms and swapping them, I shelled out the money for the used AEM unit.

Trying to go for the beat-up sleeper look, lol:

Garrett TV7512 from a Detroit Diesel

Coolant tubing underneath of car, 4" exhaust

Jeff
Modified by Jeff Taylor at 2:23 PM 6/18/2008

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

Nice, I friggin love this car, it's brutal as!

Do some burnouts! ;D

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

Awesome. I love how you installed your turbo. Where is your radiator? All I can see is the IC.

Jeff Taylor

I moved it to the trunk...I didn't take any pictures of it because it looks crappy right now. With a big enough fan, it cools well back there.

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

Dude.

T45

K, had to gather my thoughts. lol I'd say it should cool really well considering your coolant capacity is probably around 55 gallons now. Get your tuning straight and then when I'm ready to boost my Z it's coming to you!!!

Jeff Taylor

T45 wrote:K, had to gather my thoughts. lol I'd say it should cool really well considering your coolant capacity is probably around 55 gallons now. Get your tuning straight and then when I'm ready to boost my Z it's coming to you!!!
Sounds good.

The cooling system capacity increased by 2 gallons from stock, so about 12 pounds of extra coolant, and 19 pounds of extra tubing.

SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

Love the setup man, looks great.

On a side note, not that it really matters now that you're running AEM, but you might not have been maxing out your MAF. The fact that you had a sharp transition in piping size right before the MAF could cause a larger velocity gradient between the air in the center of the MAF and the air around the outside than would be typically expected by the MAF designers. I don't doubt you were close to maxing it out, but those little things make a difference, I speak from experience.

Speaking of AEM, can you give more details on how you set it up? I am really interested. I was considering a universal AEM, but if you were able to get a honda version to work it might make life easier (on the wallet at least).

Again, very sick setup, can't wait to see more vids.

Jeff Taylor

Very true, I've seen that happen before. On an old SR, I rotated the MAF 180-degrees and had the idle voltage drop from 0.80 V to 0.25 V, and the WOT voltage output drop about 30%. This is one reason why I'm always reluctant to provide a tune for someones car without being with it in person. Little things like these can mean the difference between a solid tune and one that is horrible.

Another weird note: On the 300zx MAF (which many modded SR's and KA's run), I found that installing it in reverse yielded a significantly higher airflow per output voltage. In other words, I was able to flow more air through the MAF without it railing at 5 Volts.

The hardest parts about getting the AEM to work were:1. Obtaining the CORRECT information on what to internally modify on the AEM board. On the 30-1010 box resistors R11 and R30 need to be removed. The RIGHT side of each of these resistor pads needs to be pulled up to the RIGHT side of R188 using a 2K2 resistor for each. The coil jumpers need to be switched to falling-edge instead of rising-edge.

2. Configuring the MX Sync, Ignition Phasing, and Injector Phasing in the AEM calibration file. This took a lot of research. Knowing the firing-order of the engine, you can setup Ign Phasing and Inj phasing. MX Sync requires trial and error.

3. Adapting the VH wiring harness to the Honda ECU plugs. Once you sort through both the Honda and VH schematics, it's fairly straight-forward, just time consuming.

4. Getting familiar with every aspect of the AEM software. The software allows you to control ANYTHING, and could be intimidating to a lot of people. Knowing what each map and parameter does within the AEM helps a lot in getting a project like this running correctly.

The rest was just tuning...which the AEM makes easy.

Jeff

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

I totally agree, used to tune SHO's a lot back in 2002 for a few years, and each MAF is unique a bit, and their varience makes a huge difference.

SuperHatch

Jeff Taylor wrote:Very true, I've seen that happen before. On an old SR, I rotated the MAF 180-degrees and had the idle voltage drop from 0.80 V to 0.25 V, and the WOT voltage output drop about 30%. This is one reason why I'm always reluctant to provide a tune for someones car without being with it in person. Little things like these can mean the difference between a solid tune and one that is horrible.

Another weird note: On the 300zx MAF (which many modded SR's and KA's run), I found that installing it in reverse yielded a significantly higher airflow per output voltage. In other words, I was able to flow more air through the MAF without it railing at 5 Volts.

The hardest parts about getting the AEM to work were:1. Obtaining the CORRECT information on what to internally modify on the AEM board. On the 30-1010 box resistors R11 and R30 need to be removed. The RIGHT side of each of these resistor pads needs to be pulled up to the RIGHT side of R188 using a 2K2 resistor for each. The coil jumpers need to be switched to falling-edge instead of rising-edge.

2. Configuring the MX Sync, Ignition Phasing, and Injector Phasing in the AEM calibration file. This took a lot of research. Knowing the firing-order of the engine, you can setup Ign Phasing and Inj phasing. MX Sync requires trial and error.

3. Adapting the VH wiring harness to the Honda ECU plugs. Once you sort through both the Honda and VH schematics, it's fairly straight-forward, just time consuming.

4. Getting familiar with every aspect of the AEM software. The software allows you to control ANYTHING, and could be intimidating to a lot of people. Knowing what each map and parameter does within the AEM helps a lot in getting a project like this running correctly.

The rest was just tuning...which the AEM makes easy.

Jeff
I'm a bit stubborn, and I hate to admit that some of that sounds over my head. I'm still up in the air over going AEM versus NisTune, and I'll be making a decision this winter. I'll def be in touch JT.

SSDwellah
Car: '90 Z32 Coupe w/ VH45DE + 5-speed (FOR SALE)
'06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

Hi, interesting project. I'm just curious, why did you go wit the Honda box? The 300ZX box has the same connector and 95% of the same pinout.

Another thing to note is that on 6 cylinder Nissans, AEM had problems where the cam pos signal would lose sync. If that ever happens to you, there is a well known procedure of switching to rising edge detection and globally adding a few degrees delay to the timing. I think this had to do with the fact that both mitsubishi and hitachi made timing parts for Nissan and there were slight differences between them. Here's a link http://forum.aempower.com/foru....html

T45

Jeff Taylor wrote:
The engine is now running an a honda's AEM EMS (30-1010 box)........Instead of the time and grief associated with burning eproms and swapping them, I shelled out the money for the used AEM unit.

Modified by Jeff Taylor at 2:23 PM 6/18/2008

Bart

Hey Jeff, the a nice beast you got thereJust want to ask, are you using log style exhaust manifolds?

Jeff Taylor

Superhatch - Sounds good. Nice engine setup btw. I just got through reading your webpage.
SSDwellah wrote:Hi, interesting project. I'm just curious, why did you go wit the Honda box? The 300ZX box has the same connector and 95% of the same pinout.

Another thing to note is that on 6 cylinder Nissans, AEM had problems where the cam pos signal would lose sync. If that ever happens to you, there is a well known procedure of switching to rising edge detection and globally adding a few degrees delay to the timing. I think this had to do with the fact that both mitsubishi and hitachi made timing parts for Nissan and there were slight differences between them. Here's a link http://forum.aempower.com/foru....html
SSD - Yeah, the 300zx or skyline box would have saved me 4 hours of wiring, but I could not find one for a decent price. The price difference between a used Honda box and used 300zx or skyline was about $400, and I'm trying to keep the project on a tight budget.

Thanks for the info on the CAS's. I did a lot of research on AEMPower to get it working, played with MX Sync, and had to reconfigure the edge detection to get it to work. As far as I know, the AEM has not lost sync with the CAS in the past 100 miles, which I'm very happy about.

Jeff

SuperHatch

Bart wrote:Hey Jeff, the a nice beast you got thereJust want to ask, are you using log style exhaust manifolds?
Jeff used modified factory manifolds that were flipped over. I believe he stated that it was more work that is was worth...

You can flip the manis on a 45 because the bolt pattern is symetrical. Unfortunately you can't on a 41.

Bart

Gee not too bad for over 400hp, hope mine will be up there

kool-aid54
Car: 92 hatch soon with a vh45 heartbeat

SuperHatch wrote:
Jeff used modified factory manifolds that were flipped over. I believe he stated that it was more work that is was worth...

You can flip the manis on a 45 because the bolt pattern is symetrical. Unfortunately you can't on a 41.
thats just like 5.0 mustangs. That is awesome!!!!!!!

Guishnu
Car: Nissan 200sx S13
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Is this engine running 450whp on stock internals?

If so, what does the ignition map look like and what it's like with the turbo and high compression ratio?

V-interested

Jeff Taylor

Here's some pictures of the progress I've made over the past month:

I decided to get rid of the flywheel spacer, for simplicity. I took the transmission bell housing to a machine shop to have 0.770" milled off the face. The milled bellhousing is on the right:

Here's some pictures of the internals of the old transmission. I picked up a new transmission that hopefully won't resist going into 4th at the track.

I had to clearance the adapter plate so that the starter bendix would not interfere:

Cleaned off the engine:

Fabricated a fuel filter bracket today. It mounts the filter underneath of the intake manifold:

I decided to throw out my old shifter bracket and linkage and modify the stock one instead. I shortened both the OEM linkage and bracket by 5/8" so that it will properly align with the shifter hole in the transmission tunnel.

That rear-end will be replaced soon too. Too weak.

Replaced the straight AN fittings on the front of both fuel rails with 90-degree fittings. With the old fittings, the fuel hose was rubbing against the block and throttle body.

Jeff

Modified by Jeff Taylor at 9:06 AM 1/17/2010

Turbo.tom
Car: R32 GTR / FD3S / Silvia RS12

Nice work,

Have you more pics from the Intake?
Modified by Turbo.tom at 11:59 AM 1/17/2010

Jeff Taylor

I don't have any decent ones of the intake. At the time of building it, I was not very good with welding aluminum. There are many things I would change if I built another.

Jeff Taylor

The engine is running again, and the engine bay portion of the car is pretty much done. I'll be painting the cage and fabricating a radiator shroud next.

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Trunk mounted radiator?

Jeff Taylor

Yeah, I didn't want to attempt to cram it under the hood along with the T6 turbo... It cools very well.

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

I couldn't really tell the links for the older pics are broken. Do you run a electric water pump too? Awesome build btw lol.

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

the busted front bumper really sells the car.love it.

Jeff Taylor

Yellow4g63 wrote:I couldn't really tell the links for the older pics are broken. Do you run a electric water pump too? Awesome build btw lol.
Nope, the OEM water pump seems to flow well enough to pump coolant through an extra 20 ft of 1.5" tubing.

Thanks for the comments!

Jeff Taylor

Quote »the busted front bumper really sells the car.love it.[/quote]Yeaahhh... There's a story behind that one.

I'll fix it eventually. Go before Show.
Modified by Jeff Taylor at 11:12 AM 4/13/2010

DRFTBLD
Car: 89 S13 VH45DETT
05 Ford F-150 Drift Support
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

Very nice... Any more pics/updates on this build?!

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”