How to monitor automatic transmission temps for fluid level check? - 2004 350z

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Maldozer

Sorry if this has been discussed before. The search button is offline right now.

So I did a drain and fill yesterday and stupidly didn't measure what I took out (i'm used to my 4th gen 4runner which has a trans temp check mode). I drained it when it was cold and put back 3.25 quarts because that seems around what people get out of the pan. Now my problem is figuring out how to monitor the transmission fluid temp so I can check the fluid at 149F. I actually think its a bit overfilled because its close to the top of the cold marks when I first turn it on and its supposed to be in that range between like 88F and 122F.

I tried using the torque app and nissan datascan 2 app with no luck. I was wondering if anyone knows of a custom PID to add to the torque app that will allow me connect to the trans temp sensor? Also, if this doesn't work can I get the trans temp from the desktop version of datascan 2? I'd rather spend the $70 on software than a trip to the dealer anyway.

My plan B is to use an infrared thermometer on the center of the transmission pan but that might not be accurate enough.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You are worrying way too much about it. No tech on the planet gets that close to exact fluid temp and take it from somebody who has rebuilt ATX. Cold means right then with a first fill and check even under 88 degrees after starting and only running the shifter through all gears to fill spaces, and hot means well warmed to where the fluid has pretty much stabilized, that will be hotter than 149F for sure.

Individual transmission internal volumes will change up more than the temp difference makes there, they can vary half a pint from trans to trans.

Close to the top of cold marks is fine............

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

It's easy you could get a kit like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... DU3K&psc=1

It comes with a gauge and a T fitting to cut and feed from the hot AT line coming from the tranny. Of course you can get a fancier digital gauge but it's simple, you need a T fitting, a sensor and a gauge. This way you monitor and know the temperature in the tranny with exactitude. There are even better ways like tapping the tranny's pan. But this is easy and cheap and it doesn't require fancy tools or permanent modifications to the car.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”