Mom's 77 280Z - what to do

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
lvangundy

Hey all -

My mom has a 1977 280Z on which she has the right to say she's the original owner!

The car has been in her posession since the beginning, but was only maintained during the first few years she had it. It sat parked for a couple of years and has had minor maintenance performed recently to get it running again.

She's mentioned how a few people come up to her and ask her to sell it. She declines and prefers to keep it. So I'm hoping some people here can help me out with some advice with the problems it's having.

First, the brake fluid is leaking from the drums. She was told by a mechanic to either buy rebuilt drums, or rebuild them herself. She prefers not to get under the car with the jack stands she has so is hesitant to do this. Does anyone know of good OEM replacement parts for these cars?

Second, her fuel line keeps coming disconnected (I'll have to ask and confirm) either from the filter or the pump. She took it to two different shops and one replaced the clamps, they came off again, then took it to another shop who told her the clamps were the wrong ones.

There are some other issues, but I'll have to chat with her and ask again. If anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

OK, here we go.

These guys can handle alot of neglect, even just sitting around.

The brake problem sounds like rear drum cylinders. They are not hard to do, any local mechanic should be able to handle it. Nissan Remans, Beck Arnley, and Nappa are good sources (rights and lefts are different!). Odds are, the linings are rusted to the drums so expect to turn the drums and replace the shoes. Inspect the rubber hoses while you are in there.

If the fluid has drained from the system expect the rubber in the master cylinder to be dead. A reman from the same sources will work.

The fuel injection system runs at a pretty high pressure. It requires special fuel injection hose. If you use standard rubber hose it will expand under pressure and blow off.Get the fuel injection hose (Nissan or Napa again. About $1 a foot) and replace the hose from the steel line to the filter, the hose from the filter to the fuel rail, and the discharge hose from the rail to the steel fuel return line. Buy new clamps. (I use AC clamps) May as well replace the filter.

All of these parts are readily available and you will be amazed at just how cheap this stuff is.

kotex

Hey Reg, do you have any Zs laying around for sale?

reggiegsd

I'm down to one '73 with an '83 drive train and a mild body kit. Its not for sale now but maybe this summer. I'll either sell it or put a Ford 5.0 in it. Its in Tampa.

If it seriously goes up for sale, I'll dangle it in front of this crowd first.

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

How many miles does it have? Just curious. . I got a chance to drive a 280 turbo (82).. with around 50k or so miles on it a year ago. . was AMAZING. .car was in brand new condition.

I felt like I went back in time, and I was amazed at all the toys the car had!! And was also cool to think, the previous owner was Gene Keady, Purdue football coach.... he prolly got road head right where I was sitting :cool:

haha

reggiegsd

The body has about 220K and the drivetrain is fresh. The milage on an early Zcar is almost of no importance. The only time it means something is if it is an early 1970 with less than 50K.

Otherwise, its just a Z, enjoy it.

boileralum00
Car: 94 Miata, 95 FZR600R

KoukiS14 wrote:How many miles does it have? Just curious. . I got a chance to drive a 280 turbo (82).. with around 50k or so miles on it a year ago. . was AMAZING. .car was in brand new condition.

I felt like I went back in time, and I was amazed at all the toys the car had!! And was also cool to think, the previous owner was Gene Keady, Purdue football coach.... he prolly got road head right where I was sitting :cool:

haha

Keady is the basketball coach ;)

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”