Mods to my '05 G35 Sedan 6MT

Member area: Post up your ride and the modifications to date
sc6mt
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT

Mod - Straight Pipes (Stillen Race Pipes) (Muffler delete, replaced by custom 2.5" axleback section), R2C Maxxflow CAI and clear side markers from Amazon.com

Installation difficulty - To install the race pipes, put your car on a lift, take your cats out, and put the race pipes in. The tech that did it for me did have to take off the engine cover and the stock intake, however. So, 4 out of 10 for that. The muffler delete was done at a muffler shop (just ask them to take off the muffler), so 1 out of 10. The intake was a little harder. The instructions weren't super clear and the pictures were black and white and were backwards looking, as if they had been taken in a mirror. It could've been made a whole lot simpler by just saying, "Remove the stock intake from the throttle body to the airbox but keep the mass airflow sensor. Now put your new intake on." So, 5 out of 10. The side markers were very simple. 1 out of 10.

Install time - 30-45 minutes for the race pipes. 30 minutes for the muffler delete. 1 hour to an hour and a half for the intake. 5 minutes for the side markers.

Cost - Stillen Race Pipes - $312, R2C Maxxflow CAI - $314, Muffler delete - $165 (I think I kinda got ripped off), and clear side markers - $30. Payment to tech for installing my race pipes - $40. Dinner for my friend at Qdoba for installing my intake - $27. Yes, he did eat $27 worth of food at Qdoba. $900 ish total.

Advantages - [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHG2dNg4bzk[/youtube]
Listen to that sound! The power increase for less than $500 in phenomenal. It draws a lot of attention, which can also be bad if it's the wrong kind. All sorts of people wanted to race me. I love to race. There was even a 50 something couple in a Saab SUV who raced me. All my friends want to go for rides, so basically straight pipes get on your G get all the bishez.

Disadvantages - Droning. It'll sounds super loud inside the cabin at first but you learn to tune it out and you'll have to turn up your stereo. However, the intake, which I installed last night, actually decreased the droning. I didn't notice that much of a power difference made by the intake, but it looks nice at least, so I'm happy with it. The race pipes send off a service engine soon light because of catalytic inefficiency since they replace the cats. The clear side markers don't fit perfectly, but the do look a whole lot better on my black car. BEWARE WHICH BRAND YOU BUY. I ordered a pair from a sketchy website that had them for $30, which sounded good. What I didn't see was shipping was almost $15. When I clicked the "purchase" button, my computer took me to a blank page which was sketchy, so I assumed it didn't process, so I closed out that website and went to Amazon and bought some there for like $22. Both packages showed up on the same day. The lights from the sketchy website didn't fit as well as the ones from Amazon. I went to the sketchy website and looked at their returns policy, which said, "All sales are FINAL." So I spent $80 ish on clear side markers. Lesson learned: always buy from someone reputable who has a return policy. The other problems I have with the race pipes, besides the service engine soon light, are periodic vibrations, and this weird whistling noise that happens between 2000-3000 rpm when the engine is warm. The vibrations come from the back of the car and the whistling noise comes from the area of the race pipes. The whistling only happens during engine breaking. Sometimes, a squeaking noise comes from that area at idle in neutral. I think it might have something to do with the weather, or I have a leak somewhere. Post back if you have any advice for me or solutions to my problems with my car.

Verdict: Bliss.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

You could use high flow cats instead of race pipes to get your SES light to turn off. The trade-off is HFC's are more $$ and not as free flowing...but really that is negligible. But they will not stink and keep you legal!

Thanks for posting!

sc6mt

that and the coupe midpipe are my next planned mods. i cant take the test pipe hiss anymore. do you have any recommendations for hfc's? and where to get a coupe midpipe?

Goodgalz
Car: 2011 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Sounds like some great mods. I would love to see your car but the video does not work. I recently did some mods but not the same caliber as yours.

sc6mt

ya i gotta take a new video of it. ive actually done a bunch more stuff since i posted this so ill be making a revised mods to my g post pretty soon. nice looking g37!

Goodgalz
Car: 2011 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Great, I look forward to your new video. Thanks for the compliment on my car. I love my G!

Return to “G35 and G37 Modification database”