mod help

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
slam

Hi everyone, I'm a proud new owner of a used 6spd 06 g35 coupe. I wasthinking about make the G faster ever since I got dusted by an 05 rsxtype-s with intake, manifold, and exhaust. I think the previous owner of the G installed an exhaust cause it's louder then some others I've seen on the road, other then that what else can I get that won't put a hole in my wallet. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Unless the RSX has a turbo or has been gutted, I can't imagine it would be much competition at all for a G35. Do you know what kind of exhaust was put on your G35? Many exhausts have been shown to actually lose power on the 350Z and I'd imagine the same is true of the G35's. Tough, even a slight loss of power shouldn't lose you the race either.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Welcome to NICO!!

Very odd that an RSX beat ya

anyways start here for the most common mods

zerothread/207927

If you read it through and have any questions at all...you know where we are!!

Oh and get some pics up or else LOL

chad1200
Car: 2004 G35 AT Sedan

you came to the right place!!!!

first thing i would do is make sure that you have an after market exhaust and what brand it is.

next, i would start with an intake combo - pop charger and z-tube. set you back about $200. check http://www.g35parts.com/9083/o...d=114

that'll give you an extra 10+ hp or so.

other than that, practice driving your stick! find an empty parking lot. OR, every stop light ACCELERATE to the speed limit (or higher ) Don't be afraid to get your RPMs up to red line. that's where we SHINE!

let us know if this info helps! we got your back, buddy!

kdfja1

yah dood you dont need more mod's u just needa learn to drive better .

also try turning off ur VDC wen u race

chad1200

i agree. turn your "fun button" off, too.

slam

Thanks for the inputs. I think my driving is fine, I mean when we raced we were doing about 75mph, I tried 4th gear first run then 5th on the second run couln't take him . Did I mention he had headers too? I know for a fact he doesn't have turbo or did any major weight reduction, I know cause I installed the stereo for him. anyways can someone tell me what a plenum spacer or mrev2 is and how will it effect the engine in the future and if turning off the vdc button help that much. sorry I'm new to infiniti although I had a 93 300zx non-turbo, it had so much problems I went away from nissan since but the G looked too good to pass up plus I've heard alot of good things about the it figure I'd give it another chance.

gjim0535
Car: 2005 G35

you should have hit 3rd gear to get a jump and then hit 4th and 5th.i have taken a SRT4 from 70 mph on the freeway.... no way should that RSX have a chance. plenem spacer will give your intake charge more volumeand more of flow to front cylinders. remember your car makes alot power above 6000 rpm don't be afraid to take it up there.... now go spank that Honda!!!

04G356MT
Car: 04 G35 6MT

i feel so offended.... i had a RSX with basic NA mods and i used to dust you guys and it was easy. if you dont believe me i DO have a video. Not to say that the G35 is slow cause i love my G but my RSX could hold its own very well. anyone intrested in the vid i will show you the link just lemme know

kdfja1

yah 04g356mt rsx's are fast but comon the guy was going 75 in a g35 versus a rsx ? at that high of a speed the g should have no problem destroying a RSX. RSX could take a G off the line but at 75? wtf?

04G356MT

maybe who knows. ive done it from a 60 in a rsx.

slam

thanks gjim, I'll go ahead with the pop charger seems like a no brainer. better gas mileage plus some power under 300 what more could you ask for. btw has anybody experience dirt or some sort of black particle around the rear bumper. don't know where it's coming from, looks like something from the brakes or exhaust. it collects fast too, I would wash the car and drive it to work which is about 11 highway miles alot of stop and go thoughyou know socal traffic. as soon a I get to work it would be there already .

G_whizz

Ummm...ok...you need to share that vid, I have smoked every RSX I have ever gone up against...for the record btw.

04G356MT

(LINK 2 POSTS DOWN)

2:22 is the G35 Race. its not long but the race was a constant pull by me. and yes the guy was racing. the mustangs are real cobras and not just a bumper (ive had it asked) the 10PSI race is a old school RX7. The old school civic is boosted. and now runs hella boost and can run with a bike on the highway. This is some good ole Dallas TX Racing.

(EDIT) BTW tell me what you think of the Vid. I made it in memory of the car since my brother drove it through a tree lol
Modified by 04G356MT at 3:17 PM 6/13/2007

gjim0535

can't get video to load. when I go to your posted link I go into my own photobucket account. you may be the only one that can get the video from that link....

04G356MT

HRMM give me a few to figure it out lol

(EDIT) http://photobucket.com/mediade...set=0 try that....

gjim0535

An entertaining video to be sure...... looks like you had a nice car there.Not loving the gangster rap.... more of an ALT NATION fan myself.Not sure you can claim victory over that G from the 3 seconds of video....But you definatly had a quick car. too bad it ended up crushed...

04G356MT

thank you. and the reason the clip from the g was short was because i pulled constant on him so it was just edited short for the vid. ive been looking for the entire clip but misplaced it somewhere. and i listen to all kinds of music so it was just something i threw in there

chad1200

SWEET CLIP! where in dallas were you guys?

the G will definitely NOT disappoint you.

don't forget to get the Z-tube with your pop charger, too!

04G356MT

I am originally from Mckinney, so most of those are in Allen off of stacy road or on 75

G_whizz

Thanks for sharing the clip!!

I see that you threw some country music on at the end there...maybe if you play it backwards you'll get your car back!! And the dog, and house and wife etc...

Just joking...I couldn't resist.

I hope your bro is ok after the crash...looked bad, did he learn his lesson or did you strangle him??

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

04G356MT wrote:i feel so offended.... i had a RSX with basic NA mods and i used to dust you guys and it was easy. if you dont believe me i DO have a video. Not to say that the G35 is slow cause i love my G but my RSX could hold its own very well. anyone intrested in the vid i will show you the link just lemme know
No need to get your panties in a wad man. The fact is, the RSX runs low to mid 15's stock. The G35's get low to mid 14's. A second of difference makes a huge difference in a 1/4 mile. I had a turbo 240sx before the G35. It was slightly faster than the G35. No RSX was ever able to keep up with bolt-ons. Not even close. It would be a stretch to believe you truly "dusted G35's" with bolt-ons and no weight reduction.

Slam: Don't take this the rong way, but if you are trying to race from 75 starting out in 4th gear, you should take another look at your driving skill. Or at the least, gain a better understanding of how engines and transmissions work to get power to the ground. In 4th gear, you'll be making 22% less torque at the wheels then you would in 3rd gear for a given RPM. So you weren't using your power as effectively when you started the race. 3rd gear tops out at 88 mph in the 03-04 and slightly higher in the rev-up versions (93 mph by my calculations). Starting out in 5th only makes it worse. You generally get better accelleration by staying in the lowest gear as long as you can. Lower gears multiply torque more than taller gears.

04G356MT

my panties arnt in a wad and had no intent of offending you cause me taking offense was sarcasim. As a matter of fact im used to people say o its still just a honda. it doesnt matter to me. some people can do amazing things in cars while others can barely keep them in thier own lane. i was never questioning time difference between a G and a RSX. I know the specs ive looked over them myself. but the fact being is ive done it. i know what it was capable of. I was just stating that my old RSX with full interior, CAI and CB and suspension mods could run G's. If you really want a stretch I have ran 6/6 on a WRX (not STI) that was chipped from a stop in the RSX. No video but i can show you the board to go to for a full list of people who were there. I dont want to turn this into a pissing contest or anything and sorry if i did i was just stating what i myself have personally done

04G356MT

G_whizz wrote:I hope your bro is ok after the crash...looked bad, did he learn his lesson or did you strangle him??
My brother is fine, after he broke both wrists, a leg, his hip, few ribs, his nose, 60 some odd stitches later, internal bleeding, and a really sore ego. But serves him right lol for messing up my nice car, and he didnt really learn his lesson since a month after he was walking and messing around again he drove my dirt bike into a horse fence cause the front wheel wouldnt come down, and the country song at the end is because there was another half of the vid of all the wreck pictures but the best of them are in my portfolio on the site so yea

kdfja1

Guys its true that RSX's cant complete with G's on paper but i think what 04g356mt is trying to prove is taht it's not the car but the driver. I know plenty of people who cant drive there cars and not to bash on slam but C-wick is right starting in 4th at 75 isnt the smartest thing to do.

And since Slam just got the G he/she prolly doesnt know how to drive it to it's full potential but back onto the topic of MOd's the plenum spacer seems to be the most affordable and it gives you a pretty good increase in power, and if you want more? well get the MREV2, Exhausts as you will find are extremely expensive for the G cause it's dual, but if you have the money go for it. Test pipes gives you an extra kick but they are illegal and smells like ****, headers to my knowledge not many people have because its one of the hardest installs out there for the G. those are all the the bolt on mod's that i can think of right now but theres always suspense and tires that will increase your preformance.

hope that helped

slam

hey thanks fellas, you guys/gals are right i don't know how to drive the G yet as a matter of fact I'll see him this wkn maybe I can talk him into another run if not I'll tell my cousin to stop dating him j/k or I can always smash on him on 3rd strike. nothing has been done to the G yet, I'll let you guys know how it went.

kdfja1 you mention that test pipes stink, what does it smell like? I've knotice my car smells like burnt oil when I shut it off and occasionally smell it while waiting at traffic lights, maybe that's on already.

anybody here have an 06 coupe mt that sounds like a diesel? or is it just mine. I took it in last week to costa mesa infiniti to check out what the noise was they told me after a tech looked at it that it was ran without oil causeing damage to the top of the block. is this true I didn't knotice the noise when I test drove it at the dealer. I've knoticed that it doesn't make the noise when the egine is cool or in the morning but at normal operating temp it sounds like a diesel and goes away/drowned out by the exhaust.

btw...don't take your car there they don't seem to know what their taking about. I asked them to adjust my head lights cause driver side is higher then passenger side they told me there were no adjustments hahaha went home grabbed a long phillips and adjusted it in .5sec.

kdfja1

Get an oil change i'd go synthetic (mobile 1) and for the test pipes, it smells like s h hhhhhh cuz theres not cat and that equals no filtering and thats a lot of carbon monoxide and how to check? just jack up your car and see if theres still a cat in there by checking if the heatshield is still on. go on to modification base to see my write up on the test pipes. and for the diesel ummm lol well that suks ahha jk have a "good" mechanic check it out for you

TurboDreamsG
Car: 2003 G35

Just incase you wanted to get up the HP alittle and pick up some mods you can always get a couple things....

-plenum spacer-CAI-MRev2 (assuming you have the REVup motor)-Headers-Pulleys (UO only though wouldn't reccomend anything else)

Just a couple things that wont blow a hole in your pocket TOOOO bad. lol.

04G356MT

thanks everyone who liked the vid

G_whizz

+1 for you and sharing it!

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”