mod an 09 vert to be similar to a 2010 vert?

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

I know a few of the main differences between the 09 coupe/vert and the 2010 models are the instrument panel and the navigation touch screen.

Would it be feasible (or even possible) to change the instrumentation panel in the 09 (with the red gauges) to the the 2010 version (all white gauges) ?? If so, how involved and expensive would a mod like this be? I really like the improved instrumentation panel in the 2010 G's. I was just curious if this could even be done to a 09 model.

Also, same thing for the nav/touch screen. I haven't seen the new navigation display on the 2010 models, but I heard that the new monitor has a much higher and brighter resolution than the 09 version. Would it be possible to house the new nav/touch screen (2010 models) in the 09 vert? If so, how much of an undertaking would it be, as well as approx. cost. I'm not in love with the 09 navigation display and touch screen, but it does the job. It's like having an old cell phone that doesn't have a good display and texts are hard to see, and then you see a brand new blackberry or Iphone or Droid... hahaha

It seems that Infiniti is making strides to make the navigation/ touch screen better, and I was just curious to see how much of an improvement they made over our current 09 verts, and if was possible to outfit the 09's with the new system (and at what cost)

Any info or thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Perhaps it would be easier to just trade in your current ride for the newer model...

There will always be different features available in newer models and that's precisely why I lease which allows me to get the latest and greatest very 2-3 years. I have always been an early adopter of new car models - In fact, my last 3 cars in the past 5 years have all been 1st generation builds. You are experiencing the classic symptoms of this interesting phenomena.

It is a slippery slope my friend...

pwlorraine
Car: 2009 G37 convertible moon white / stone / auto / sport/premium/nav/tech 2010 EX35 nav/bose/premium/

I've got a 2009 vert and will pick up a 2010 EX35 with the new nav system next Monday. I just sold an Audi A6 with an integrated nav system from 2006 or so. My vert is better than the Audi was for the nav system, and the 2010 EX35 is better than the vert with higher resolution and weather info. But honestly, the Audi system worked fine for navigation. Audi has a new system out this year that is prettier and will have a system in a year or so with Google Earth and internet integration - wow! I've seen demos for nav software that looks like Grand Theft Auto with texture mapped buildings, 3D bridges and overpass data, terrain data, and even trees. The 2010 system can't do this - maybe the 2012-2015 unit will. The Nissan leaf has a GPS with telematics integration so you'll always know where the closest charging option is.

The issue is that it will always get better - this is like buying a PC where the electronics will feel cutting edge for a year or two. Upgrading the 2009 to 2010 nav will probably be around $4000 or so buying parts (if it works) - in a year or two you will probably find units out of wrecked cars for $2k or so. A new cluster might be possible - someone will have to buy one and try it which will be an expensive experiment. On Audis the cluster tracks mileage and you need a dealer tool (or clever hack) to update the mileage to match what your car should have on it.

If it means a lot to you then I'd try trading it back in. Wait a couple of years and you can get the next next thing!

Peter

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

The electronics and controls will keep getting better and there's no end... unless you own a Bugatti.

I have G35 coupe base - which I enjoy as much as I enjoy the 2009 Convertible... both have +s and - s.

Enjoy what you have foe now- it's just a car.

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

I hear ya. I was just curious, and put some thoughts onto a thread. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite satisfied with my 09 vert. Not being a serious car guy, I don't know how complex or costly any of these modifications are. It looks to be a costly choice, so it's not worth it to me because it really isn't that big of a deal in the first place.

thanks for the info guys.

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

I was searching for some thing on ebay and ran into :

INFINITI G35 G37 LED COLOR GAUGE CLUSTER 07 08 09 10 item 280484745572THIS KIT CHANGES THE OEM COLOR TO THE COLOR YOU WANT

Check it out,,, or

Also stumbled into : http://forums.altimas.org/zerothread?id=478220 REMOVING THE ORANGE STRIP FROM STOCK DASH GAUGES

See if you want to change gauges colors- You better be a real good DIY tech. to do any of the above two options. The cost will be less $100...

Good Luck

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”