Mobil 1 VS Royal Purple ?! Who wins !?!

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
gian52
Car: 240sx s14 95

What oil do u guys use Mobil 1 or Royal Purple ???? I used to use royal purple but my gaskets were all messed up and i leaked everywhere so i replaced all of them and my mechanic said jus 2 stick with mobil 1. What do u guys think ? And which filter is better K&N or Mobil 1 ? ?

lbreevesii
Car: S13 hatch LeMons project - Kaputzen!
BMW E30

I recommend that you go do some reading here:

http://bobistheoilguy.com/

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

I read somewhere that Mobil 1 changed the way they make their oil or something. They cheaped out and apparantly its garbage. I've always used RP in my car and my dad's (KADE Frontier) and never had a problem with it. Also I always went with Mobil 1 Filter though. K&N is too expensive

Wc240
Car: 89 240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

niether. use redline

GO240
Car: 1990/1/2/3/4/5/7 240sx lol

best oil change i ever had was a K&N Oil filter and Royal Purple 10w40I work in an autoparts store (go O'Rielly's!!!!) and the best oil i sell is Mobil 1 and Royal purple they're the top rated synthetics basically its like this:Royal Purple - No problems reported "personally i perfer this brand my valve cover was caramelized but after running this its returned silver plus its actually purple"Mobil 1 - No problems reported "I've been putting this in my chevy for awhile its fine i like it but i think it should stay in american vehicles"Redline - No Problems "Not sure about this oil but i know alot of the guys who drag race out a the Memphis Motorsports park love i mean LOVE it"Penzoil - no Problems "i put some in an explorer once not really sure and my car once to its eh normal"Castrol Syntec - No Problems "I put this in my brother in law's Outback and we pulled the valve covers off last night they where clean like my KA's"Quackerstate - Seems to build up blow by on the valve covers cause premature detonation I've seen it in several cars new and oldHouse brand oil - now this is a toughy i know that chevron makes my oil but i'm not sure about any others "i definatley used the hell out of this in my S10"Rotella - No problems "love this 15w40 is what i ran in my KA forever till i swapped to synthetic it keeps your motor super safe"Peak - No problems "Normal oil ran it in my S10"Havoline - No problems "preference oil for some people"Royal purple with lucas synthetic oil stabilizer added is a pretty good combo

and as far as filters go:Mobil 1 and K&N - 7500 mile filtersWix - 5000 milesPurilator (my house brand is made by them "Microguard") - 2500 milesFRAM (these use to be good filters but now there crap because WalMart started stocking them and to keep prices down they had reduce the quality of the filter thus giving you a cardboard filter that seeps into your motor and causes problems down the road - maybe 2000? I wouldn't trust it

as for Mobil 1 changing there oil i haven't heard anything so far

And stabilizers are listed in order from best to worst:LucasSTPSeafoamhouse brand "STP wanna be"and nothing

and of course the castrol edge oil is supposedly the biggest thing since Kevin Spacey "who is that???"It can be run in your car for 15000 miles so you should buy two mobile 1 filters because they are cheaper than K&N filters and last just as long and they are 7500 mile filters heres the steps of how to use it:1. Change oil2. Drive 7500 miles on filter 13. Change filter leave the oil in and add one quart or as needed4. Drive another 75005. Change oil and repeat

Its simple but expensive for the lazy man it was designed for 24 hours of lemans racing so that the racers could spend more on track time than in the pits time

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

gian52 wrote:And which filter is better K&N or Mobil 1 ? ?
They're the exact same filter, except the K&N has a nut on it to make it easier to take off.

Bigvinnie
Car: 2004 Nissan Frontier desert Runner, 2014 Nissan Titan

gian52 wrote:What oil do u guys use Mobil 1 or Royal Purple ???? I used to use royal purple but my gaskets were all messed up and i leaked everywhere so i replaced all of them and my mechanic said jus 2 stick with mobil 1. What do u guys think ? And which filter is better K&N or Mobil 1 ? ?
You are asking a question that will be 80% based on peoples intuition and brand name loyalty. While 20% will be based on educated research and fundamental strength.

As far as brand name I go with neither. castrol is the name I trust with loyalty.As far as educated opinion I would have to say that the Mobil 1 is far more superior and R&D'd to out perform the Royal purple. If you want to go back to where I stated brand loyalty I would say that castrols edge is slightly more superior to that of the Mobil 1. Only because castrol spent 3 years of research on this oil just to compete against mobil 1.

Bigvinnie

GO240 wrote:
and as far as filters go:Mobil 1 and K&N - 7500 mile filtersWix - 5000 milesPurilator (my house brand is made by them "Microguard") - 2500 milesFRAM (these use to be good filters but now there crap because WalMart started stocking them and to keep prices down they had reduce the quality of the filter thus giving you a cardboard filter that seeps into your motor and causes problems down the road - maybe 2000? I wouldn't trust it
Don't spew mis information. A filter is a filter. It's life span is dictated by the type of oil you use. Synthetic oils tend to have more detergents, and polymers. This keeps the oil from becoming viscous. Which allows you to use standard filters up to 7000miles. standard oils that last for up to 3000 miles will start to gum up and plug filters at 3000miles because that was the life span of the oil and it's polymers and detergents. It's the level of viscosity between the oils that will allow the life span of the filter.

GO240

marlin29311 wrote:
They're the exact same filter, except the K&N has a nut on it to make it easier to take off.
buy one of each and cut them open theres more than just a nuts difference

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Someone did, and said they were the same.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.n....html

motorking
Car: 2004 cadillac CTS-V 1999 Taurus SHO 1995 Altima 1967 Mustang

Good day,I am a technical advisor for FRAM oil filters. I really would like to address some of the mis-information on this site-

FRAM (these use to be good filters but now there crap because WalMart started stocking them and to keep prices down they had reduce the quality of the filter thus giving you a cardboard filter that seeps into your motor and causes problems down the road - maybe 2000? I wouldn't trust it

FRAM has been using fiber end caps for over 30 years. It did not start when we started selling to Wal-Mart, it actually started during WW2 due to a steel shortage. The end caps are tested by running 310 degree oil at a high flow rate through the filter for 24 hrs. There can be no failure at all. We make millions of filters using this technology and have never had warranty issues with it. In fact, some of you may see that mnay new cars are now using cartridge filters and they have no end caps at all.As far as extended oil changes and synthetic oil goes- FRAM sells the only filter in the market rated for 10k oil changes, FRAM Extended Guard. This filter is a double ply synthetic media backed by a stainless steel screen. It has a silicone antidrain back valve and steel end caps. We garentee it will have the capacity (dirt holding ability) to last for a 10k change interval with quality synthetic oil. The other bashing on here about mobil 1? If it is so bad, why does GM performance cars, Mercedes, Porshe and many others use it as factory fill and recoomend it for oil changes? The Microguard filters are no longer made by Purolater.FRAM also makes OE filters for Honda and Subaru, both brands that seem to have a reputation for longevity. The sites refernced on here as filter experts are not. There is no testing done on those sites, just cutting open filters. I am more than happy to answer any filtration questions you may have with facts based on engineering tests, not internet tribal knowledge

gumby74

I have been using Fram Toughguard filters since their inception. After rebuilding my engine the first time, I was having my oil analyzed after every change to check for breakdown and contamination. Of the 3 filters I tested during a 2 year period, Purolator Pure 1, K&N, and Fram Tough Guard, the Fram and Purolator oil was always cleaner and could run far more miles than the K&N. For the recors after dissecting the 3, the Fram did in fact use cardboard end cap but also has a fine mesh screen incorporated at the bottom end. The filter media was the same or similar to the Purolator. Ultimately though the Fram was almost $2 cheaper and more readily available, so that is what I use. I don't let some uneducated morons dictate what I use. I do my own research, trial and error, but in the end I KNOW what I have. And if you can not afford the realities of having a car as a hobby, you need a new hobby.

I will not hesitate to buy a K&N AIR filter, but would not waste my money on their oil filters. It is in no way a superior product. And if an integrated nut on the housing is such an ingenious idea, some of you guys seriously need to go back to the foundation of your automotive expertise. An oil filter should not be torqued down. You hand tighten plus a quarter turn or so depending on your level of manliness (or lack thereof).

As for which oil is better? Any quality brand oil is just as good as another assuming you have enough sense to run a consistent maintenance interval, and use the appropriate tool for the job. I live in central Texas where we have just run a cycle of over 50 days with 100 plus degree heat. I use Castrol synthetic 10w 30. Change my oil every 5000 miles, and flush my fluids and replace all belts and hoses every 2 years. I have owned my 240 that long.

Furthermore, I do believe the manufacturers of Castrol (BP refineries or some such thing) filed suit against the fine folks at Royal Purple in regards to the claims they were making in their ads. Guess who had to change their marketing campaign to be based on actual fact? Well I have rambled on long enough.

Use what the sheep tell you to use and when you switch from one brand to another don't forget to let us know about the gain in horsepower, and how the cars other non oil related faults are cured by switching to brand X, instead of, hell I don't know, buying some new plugs.

Bigvinnie

I as well use the FRAM extra guard and tough guards. I usually switch off depending on how much money I have at the time of the oil change. Never had a problem with them at all. Originally on the packaging FRAM would claim that You get 3000miles from their filters. I speculate that those claims are based on conventional motor oil. I use conventional castrol gtx, I do a half and half mixture of 10w-30 and 10w-40. Never have I had a problem with the filters on my KA24de engines, and sometimes I would go beyond FRAMS claims with conventional oil an would sometimes not make it for an oil change up to 4000miles (not recommended but it can be done if you don't drive hard or put to much load on the engine.

I trust FRAM because KRAGEN/OREILEYS has used this filter for over 20 years with very little complaints. It does do its job. FRAM has done a good job leading as the industry standard in the world of diesel engines, and is still used on a large variety of OE unleaded engine manufacturers.

When I am in a rush oil change and simply don't have the time I go to speedy oil changers, I don't know if I should trust those filters as much as the FRAM, and I believe it is a penzoil brand filter.
Modified by Bigvinnie at 3:10 PM 9/12/2009

GO240

motorking wrote:Good day,I am a technical advisor for FRAM oil filters. I really would like to address some of the mis-information on this site-

FRAM (these use to be good filters but now there crap because WalMart started stocking them and to keep prices down they had reduce the quality of the filter thus giving you a cardboard filter that seeps into your motor and causes problems down the road - maybe 2000? I wouldn't trust it

FRAM has been using fiber end caps for over 30 years. It did not start when we started selling to Wal-Mart, it actually started during WW2 due to a steel shortage. The end caps are tested by running 310 degree oil at a high flow rate through the filter for 24 hrs. There can be no failure at all. We make millions of filters using this technology and have never had warranty issues with it. In fact, some of you may see that mnay new cars are now using cartridge filters and they have no end caps at all.As far as extended oil changes and synthetic oil goes- FRAM sells the only filter in the market rated for 10k oil changes, FRAM Extended Guard. This filter is a double ply synthetic media backed by a stainless steel screen. It has a silicone antidrain back valve and steel end caps. We garentee it will have the capacity (dirt holding ability) to last for a 10k change interval with quality synthetic oil. The other bashing on here about mobil 1? If it is so bad, why does GM performance cars, Mercedes, Porshe and many others use it as factory fill and recoomend it for oil changes? The Microguard filters are no longer made by Purolater.FRAM also makes OE filters for Honda and Subaru, both brands that seem to have a reputation for longevity. The sites refernced on here as filter experts are not. There is no testing done on those sites, just cutting open filters. I am more than happy to answer any filtration questions you may have with facts based on engineering tests, not internet tribal knowledge
Ok WW2 was a long time ago i'm pretty sure that steel shortage is over so why would you still be using cardboard and of course you'd support fram you work for them i have a fram rep come to my store 6 times a year and inform me about everything new with them even he admits that he doesn't see them as a great filter but will do the budget job i just no what i've seen and been told that there are few and far in between that actually trust the name brand fram so if it really pisses you off that much keep it to yourself i was just sharing insight and ya'll have to go blow it out of proportion its not the end of the world for someone to say fram sucks what if i said nissan sucks or subaru sucks i guess that makes me wrong and i should be scorned for it by someone who's a technical adviser for those companies

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

GO240 wrote:
Ok WW2 was a long time ago i'm pretty sure that steel shortage is over so why would you still be using cardboard and of course you'd support fram you work for them i have a fram rep come to my store 6 times a year and inform me about everything new with them even he admits that he doesn't see them as a great filter but will do the budget job i just no what i've seen and been told that there are few and far in between that actually trust the name brand fram so if it really pisses you off that much keep it to yourself i was just sharing insight and ya'll have to go blow it out of proportion its not the end of the world for someone to say fram sucks what if i said nissan sucks or subaru sucks i guess that makes me wrong and i should be scorned for it by someone who's a technical adviser for those companies
You just made yourself an easy target by downing it so much (the fram), its nothing personal, just rhetorical appeal. I think your argument, in this case, would have been just as powerful by being passive.

Bigvinnie

GO240 wrote:
You burned yourself in your own response man. If FRAM didn't work that well I'm pretty sure the company would have changed its direction since the birth of this filter in world war 2. Or the company would of gone bankrupt. The cardboard backing if you understand how it works isn't effecting the actual performance of the filter. Of course there is newer technology out there that is improved or better. Some of your statements and comments are nothing but mythical jibber jabber. You aren't a technical advisor and you made statement about the fram filter only lasting 2500miles when in fact on there box, there warranty is for 3000miles. Its outlandish statements like that, is getting you into trouble with reps from FRAM coming over here to point out your mistakes. The FRAM rep never once pointed out that they have the best filter on the market, just that ut is a filter with a basic design that has been in use since world war 2.

motorking

Guys,I am not trying to flame anyone or make them look bad. If you look at the cartridge filters found on many new cars today, they dont even have any end caps. The fiber composition end caps we use work, that is why we do not change it. I would also like to let you all know that we make 3 other filters besides the typical extra guard filter you see in the stores. The tough guard filter id the first step up, it is rated at 99% efficiency and 6k oil changes, then the top line (and this is what I use on my rides and you should too) is the FRAM extended gaurd. This filter is garenteed in writing to not bypass for 10k miles. It is the perfect filter for synthetic oil and extended changes. It has two ply synthetic filter media backed by stainless steel screen, metal end caps, all silicone antidrainback valves and it costs less than a Mobil 1 or Amsoil extended life filter and easily out performs those filters. We also make a filter called high milage that has an additive in it that slowly releases over the life of the oil change to maintain PH balance on high mileage engines. Again, I am not on here to make anyone look bad or say things like "buy mine, we are the best" or any other reason than to help you undertsand filtration based on engineering facts, not tribal internet knolwedge. I am more than happy to give any of you a filter to try out if your willing to get your oil analyized first and then again after using ours. Well, even if you do not I will send you one anyway just for listening. And to my friend at O' Reilly's, your MicroGaurd filters are now being made by FRAM. Why? Because we proved to O' reilly's that we out perform the current maker of Micorgaurd, no other reason. Personally, any of you that have alot of time and money in your engines should be using the best filters and oil you can afford. A high quality filter and synthetic oil will easily outlast a cheap filter and regular oil so you actually save money and time in the long run.

GO240

please send me some more information on FRAM and the filters you make so can make a more informed decision on everything i'd like to see a brake down of a filter if i could as well my email is [email protected]

motorking

Look for an email from me later today. I will show you pictures of the insises of all our filters and the specs on each one. Thanks for your unbiased interest

bonestock240sx
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

i like amsoil. maybe its cus my dads a dealer and i get it free. or maybe cus it works.

95' s14
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

industry standard?!? hmmm strange seeing as one of the worlds most respected and reliable engine manufacturer's i.e. cummins list fram by name as filters not to use as a matter of fact they are the only filter that will void the warranty now thats industry standards? i work on diesel engines everyday its my job, and i dont know of anybody whether they drive cummins, duramax, powerstroke, international, or mercedez that would ever put a fram oil filter on there truck these people use there vehicles to make a living with and they dont trust shoddy oil filters if thats your idea of standards then please keep your ideas to yourself.

motorking

95’ s14 wrote:industry standard?!? hmmm strange seeing as one of the worlds most respected and reliable engine manufacturer's i.e. cummins list fram by name as filters not to use as a matter of fact they are the only filter that will void the warranty now thats industry standards?

Here is a copy of the service builliten, and it DOES NOT mention FRAM by name so you are only furthering misinformation.

DATE: May 18,2001

SUBJECT:Engine Lubrication

MODELS:1989 - 1993 (AD) Ram Truck1994 - 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Truck

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN INVOLVES 1989-2001 MY 2500 AND 3500 RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH THE 5.9L CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE.

DISCUSSION:Customer may complain of high oil consumption, grey oil smoke coming out of the exhaust or breather tube, or mechanical knocking. Neoprene compounds used internally in the manufacture of oil filters not recommended by DaimlerChrysler may separate from the filter, lodge in the piston cooling nozzle, and can fail the engine.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENGINE DEFECT.

(See the table for a list of oil filters recommended by DaimlerChrysler for use with the 5.9L Cummins diesel engine.)

NOTE: SECTION 2.7 OF THE TRUCK WARRANTY MANUAL STATES "DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR FAILURES RESULTING FROM IMPROPER REPAIR OR THE USE OF PARTS WHICH ARE NOT GENUINE DAIMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR OR DIAMLERCHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION / MOPAR APPROVED PARTS." DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USE OF OIL FILTERS NOT APPROVED BY DAIMLERCHRYSLER MAY NOT BE COVERED BY THE NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY. DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECOMMENDS THE FOLLOWING OIL FILTERS. DO NOT USE ANY OIL FILTER CONTAINING NEOPRENE. PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS.

RECOMMENDED OIL FILTERS FOR USE WITH CUMMINS 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE:

POLICY:Information Only Here is FRAM's response to the bulliten, we actually work directly with Cummins immediately to resolve any issue.Please open and read the entire thing.

http://www.fram.com/pdf/CumminsBulliten.pdf

The mopar bulliten makes no refernece to FRAM, only to filters containing neoprene, we removed neoprene from the filter. You should also read this and understand what it means-http://www.fram.com/pdf/FramItstheLaw.pdf, this explains consumer rights under the federal magnussun moss warranty act.

i work on diesel engines everyday its my job, and i dont know of anybody whether they drive cummins, duramax, powerstroke, international, or mercedez that would ever put a fram oil filter on there truck these people use there vehicles to make a living with and they dont trust shoddy oil filters if thats your idea of standards then please keep your ideas to yourself.
Really- Who has the longest engine warranty in the HD market? Mack Trucks, one million miles, and hmmm, they use FRAM as Original equipment.We are also OE on Honda and Subaru as well. You are ceratianly entitled to your opinion, but that is all it is, your opinion.

Bigvinnie

95’ s14 wrote:industry standard?!? hmmm strange seeing as one of the worlds most respected and reliable engine manufacturer's i.e. cummins list fram by name as filters not to use as a matter of fact they are the only filter that will void the warranty now thats industry standards? i work on diesel engines everyday its my job, and i dont know of anybody whether they drive cummins, duramax, powerstroke, international, or mercedez that would ever put a fram oil filter on there truck these people use there vehicles to make a living with and they dont trust shoddy oil filters if thats your idea of standards then please keep your ideas to yourself.
All I have used Fram for is most caterpillar heavy machinery. I thought it was pretty standard to use FRAM filters on most diesel heavy machinery.

Please dude don't believe everything dodge cummings tells you. They don't even want you running b99 fuel for there engines either, even after the fuel lines have been changed to viton. Dodge will do anything to void a warranty.

motorking

[QUOTE=95’ s14]industry standard?!? hmmm strange seeing as one of the worlds most respected and reliable engine manufacturer's i.e. cummins list fram by name as filters not to use as a matter of fact they are the only filter that will void the warranty now thats industry standards? i work on diesel engines everyday its my job, and i dont know of anybody whether they drive cummins, duramax, powerstroke, international, or mercedez that would ever put a fram oil filter on there truck these people use there vehicles to make a living with and they dont trust shoddy oil filters if thats your idea of standards then please keep your ideas to yourself. [QUOTE]Are you aware that Cummins owns Fleetguard filter company? Of course they wouldnt recommend anything else

95' s14
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

you know what im tired of arguing with brick walls run what you like whats it matter to me if you dust your engine

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

Haha i usually run some wal-mart supertech with a fram filter and call it a day.

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

i run royal for 1 reason......it cleans my engine so damn well it looks new inside like just off the factory floor...i heard many people claim that they have had issues with it..but out of the many motors i have built...i never have.....as for filters..i use cheepo's..couse i change them monthly..but thats my prefrence...and i have never had a filter element fail ither..

KAbezon
Car: 1995 200sx

Eneos FTMFW!!!

And as far as filters go...I am sure if there was a rep form each company they would also go on and on about how great their product is and how much better it is than everyone else, and how this car maker uses it, and so on and so forth, so I will just stick with the OE filters until I see definitive proof that one brand is so much better than it that I am forced to switch...from an objective, neutral source, not a biased one

240sxvaj
Car: 1991 240sx fastback KA-T- SOLD!
1994 MKIV TT-Daily/Track

Any comparison with Royal Purple and AMS Oil?

I personally used both before and cant really seem to find or know a difference.

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

I have yet to see FRAM by name in any Heavy Duty truck parts center. I work for a Peterbilt truck dealer. As for popular filter names in the biz I see Baldwin, Donaldson, Fleetguard<<<OE for Cummins Engines, Wix and Napa Gold. Fram just doesn't show up. I worked for a Paccar dealer for about 5 years now. Sorry to dig up a zombie thread.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”