MMI CONFUSION!

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
atiffarooqi
Car: 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

Okay Im extremely confused. I was looking for some engine and transmission mounts and i started to get confused as to what to buy. Am i supposed to buy mounts or inserts? Second, am i only getting motor mounts or tranny mounts as well? Sorry for the newbie quuestion but im so confused. By the way im 99% geting energy suspension unless anyone has any better suggestions. This isnt a bad idea for a first mod is it?

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

What kind of vehicle this going on? If its the specV, the MMI from energy suspension are a great bang for the buck. Put these on my Spec and eliminated any wheel hop. You get a little more vibration just because the motor is sitting more tight. I also had someone at a dealership hook me up with a tech and had the idle turned up to around 900rpm and also had the timing turned up to 17* while they were in the diagnostics. I had the idle turned up so when the a/c or fans kicked on it would drop the revs back down to where stock idle was, which got rid of almost all the extra vibration that you get when fans/a/c kick on with 750 idle.

If these are going on an older sentra SE-R, they work great on them as well. They are somewhat of a task to put in on both vehicles, just got to use some muscle and extra jack. Extra pair of hands works as well too.

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

When people refer to mounts, they're usually referring to inserts. It's the material that absorbs the energy that's really the concern, not the metal mount housings.

atiffarooqi

So aThere arent inserts for the tranny right? Are these something i can install on my own?

nametakennow

A little elbow grease and you'll be fine. Try to find an install guide with pictures. It's not hard, but it does require some work.

I'm not sure on tranny mounts. I don't think there are any.

RED_DET
Vendor

No tranny mounts, dont need them if there were. Just grease the outside of the insert so it move around a little more when trying to get it back in the rear mount. From my experience I tried to bolt crossmember up first and then put rear mount bolt in, that ain't going to work. Get the front and rear mount bolts in and lined up, then use a big screw driver or something similar to put through one of the holes in the crossmember and stick it into where it bolts to the chasis and use it as leverage to get the other bolt lined up. ONce you get one bolt lined up and in, the other 1 and the two up front will be alot easier.This is where an extra set of hands comes in handy.

P.S. If this isn't for a SpecV, the install will be the same. There are tranny and passenger side inserts for the classic SE-R, 200sx and Sentra SE. I have them in mine. Only crossmember inserts for SpecV and no inserts at all for G20.

atiffarooqi

I think for someone whos most advanced install is going to be a CAI, a more experienced person should do it, but im definitely goig to get energy suspension, just gotta find out where they sell them.

nametakennow

Check our sponsors first, then try - http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/dealer.html

RED_DET
Vendor

You can do it, just takes a little time and patience.

atiffarooqi

So ifound some more info on MMIs, and i hear the 80 A from PTi is better than the 60A from ES. Any comments? Also, thogu him still looking, does anyone know any links to some install guide sites? i want to get familiar with the engine area before i get the mso im not completely new to it.
Modified by atiffarooqi at 6:27 PM 1/26/2006

RED_DET
Vendor

WHats the price difference? I don't think you are going to be disappointed with the ES MOUNTS. I have them at all 4 corners in my classic SE-R and they have seen 3 1/2 years of abuse. Best way to get familiar with your car, is to go jack it up, put some jack stand up and look around. There are four bolts that hold cross member to frame of car. Two up under core support, two at the rear of the crossmember. Then one bolt going through the rear mount and one through the front. YOu will have to use a jack and piece of wood to manipulate the motor some to get the cross member back up into the rear mount once you get the inserts in. I used some straight up axle grease around the outside so it slides easier.

atiffarooqi

Hmm, now i have to get jack stands haha. This whole thing wit ha block of wood seems kind of complicated. I hope it might be easuer than it sounds. I fons some 2-ton jackstands for 15 buckas at autozone. Are those the really horrible ones?

RED_DET
Vendor

They will work just fine. Jack the car, put the jack stands under the car where you would normally jack the car up if you had to change a tire on teh side of the road. The jack and wood things is simple, basically you are putting the piece of wood between the jack and where you are going to use the jack. That would right around where the tranny bolts to the motor.

atiffarooqi

Im gettign my oil changed today, so il take alook while its on the lift and ask some questions.

atiffarooqi

I just ordered the inserts. I hope this installation goes okay. Is it okay to use the jack that came with the car to support the engine? How exactly should i suport it? Where should i put the jack under the engine

nametakennow

Get a floor jack, or even better, a tranny jack.

It shouldn't be an issue, there are two other mounts, but to be safe, get a block of wood and put it on the floor jack and slide that up under the tranny, don't lift it up but have the block tight against the bottom of the tranny.

Or just use the aforementioned tranny jack.

The Nissan jack would work with a block in the same location, I suppose, but something more stable would be better in case you end up needing it (which, as I said, is doubtful).

Place it under the rectangular section of the tranny, probably has some ripples-ish in it. It's hard to explain without a picture, but once you get under there it should be obvious. It's the only flat spot of any decent size besides the oil pan, which would definitely be a bad idea, as well as in your way.

atiffarooqi

Do MMIs void warranty?

nametakennow

Not sure. It probably depends on the dealer. I doubt most of them would notice. Those that would notice may care or may not. Ask the dealers around you til you find one who's alright.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”