Mixing parts, what is this?

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
fasttrack8999

Does anyone know if a J13 head will fit a J15 block with little or no modifications?

I have a head gasket that has a copper side and a gray metallic side.  Which side faces down towards the block? 

I just noticed this the other day.  There is the number "1300" cast raised numbers on the left side of th block just above the left motor mount and fuel pump.  Does this mean for sure that this engine is a J13.

thanks all...Harold

NL320Nick

I have a J13 I just completed a rebuild on and it has the same markings.

fasttrack8999

thanks for the info.  Were the old piston still good enough to use again?  From your experience is it less costly to handle the rebuild yourself or go with a remanufactured long block?

NL320Nick

I bought my motor from a salavage yard it was running but smoking so I took it over to the machine shop in town to see what it needed, come to find out it was in really bad shape, the pistons didnt look bad but the cylinders had been ridge reemed and it took 40 thousands over to get them good, mains and rod bearings were scored, I repaced the cam bearings just because. I also replaced the timing set and the exhaust valves needed to be replaced. the head was resurfaced. I had the machine shop do all the work because I dont know all the thing that are involed with assembling a motor. I supplied the pistons and oil pump and the macine shop did the rest for 763.00. I had found a couple places the had remanufactured J13 motors for around $1,000 + core at the time I did not have a core and I figured if it was done locally I could watch what was done if I bought it elsewhere it might be a problem in the long run. So to answer your question I think its better to do it yourself or have your machine shop do it.

Nick

fasttrack8999

Thanks Nick

That must have been a while ago because no one, now, that I know of has a J13 remanufactured engine, let alone even finding pistons.  You're right though.  I think it is less costly to manage the rebuild yourself. 

NL320Nick

Actually it was a couple months ago, the pistons I used were D16 pistons they work fine the only difference is they are dished not flat top so the compression is a little lower, I searched all over for remanufacured motors and found 2 shops that had motors in stock and one remanufacturer that would do my motor. If you decide to rebuild your motor I can tell you where the parts are available. If you wanted to use stock pistons they are available but I think I saw them for almost 400.00 compared to the 106.00 I paid for the D16 pistons.

Nick

fasttrack8999

did these D16 piston fit up with the J13 connecting rod and wrist pin?  All of it sounds good.  I'll probably be pulling the engine in a week or so.  Then I'll know what I have to deal with.

Your info is a lot of help. I'll let you know how it turns out several weeks from now.

Thanks again...Harold

NL320Nick

The pistons came with wrist pins but the machine shop used the wrist pins that were on the original pistons because of the keepers.

Return to “Datsun 320”