Mismatch bulbs

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
wrightdog26
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan

Bought an 04 g35 last month. Noticed bulb colors don't match. Driver's looks more white and the other looks like a yellow. There's a reason. Previous owner had put in an H3 on the left, D2R on the right. Looks like they even put in the bracket for the H3 so its not like they just jammed it in there.

So my question: how do I go about getting both bulbs to match? Do I get an assembly from the junkyard where it replaces one or the other? The middle bulb, the 9003, were on both sides. I replaced the 194s with led's and those work fine. Thanks for any and all help.

wrightdog26

I'm watching a youtube video for the second time on taking off the bumper to remove the headlight assembly. I think I see what the previous owner may have done on purpose/accident. Looks like they removed the ballast and HID module and had an H1 bulb on the driver's side, where the ballast and module are missing, and a D2R on the passenger side. I'll try to see if the ballast is actually missing tomorrow. The module on the passenger side is present and I haven't really seen or looked for the ballast on the other side but the fact there's only 2 wires leading into the headlight area makes me think it's not there. #fingerscrossed

wrightdog26

Took off the bumper to access the headlights and I found my answer. The housings for the bulbs indeed don't match. The driver's side is the halogen (h1 ?) and the other is a D2R. There's only 2 screws holding the bumper cover on. I get the feeling this car was in a wreck and I'd thought this when I noticed the driver's side marker lens was cracked and held on by some sort of black adhesive. I just visited a junkyard yesterday and thought I'd resolved my problem. Looks like I'll have to make another trip to get an assembly that matches the passenger side as I prefer the light of the D2R.

wrightdog26

After another trip to the junkyard, I've resolved my problem by removing and installing a headlight assembly that matches the passenger side. That composite included the ballast, the headlight module, a D2R bulb(which I won't use), a 9003 bulb, and the amber reflector for the I believe, 3 way lens(alarm/turn/hazard). Wish I'd taken a before picture. The haze from being in that yard wasn't that bad but after using rubbing compound and my orbital polisher, it looks just as good as the other side.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”